Thread: [TV] The Flash!

Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    Confusing? Ha!

1930s to 1950s: The Golden Age of Comic Books. Many well-known characters were introduced, including Superman, Batman, Captain America, Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel.

1956 to 1970s: The Silver Age of Comic Books. Began in DC Comics with the introduction of Barry Allen as the Flash. Pre-Silver Age apperances of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman were explained to have occured on "Earth-2", which is also where Jay Garrick was the Flash and heroes formed the JSA; the Justice League was on "Earth-1", and soon other Earths are invented to explain other sets of comics, like Earth-3 (where heroes are villains and vice-verse), Earth-S (where Shazam comes from), and Earth-X (where the Nazi's won WW2), expanding into a multiverse of parallel worlds.

1970 to 1985: The Bronze Age of Comic Books. Darker plot elements and more socially relevant topics began to creep into superhero comics.

1985: Crisis on Infinite Earths. Everything before this in DC Comics is refered to as "pre-Crisis". Barry Allen dies, and Wally West becomes the Flash. The multiverse collapses into a single universe incorporating elements of several pre-Crisis universes. The JSA now becomes part of history, and never had Superman or Batman as members.

1994: Zero Hour. A follow-up to Crisis on Infinite Earths, it collapses inconsistent future timelines of the DC Univese into a new, unified future.

2005: Infinite Crisis. The pre-Crisis Golden Age Superman returns to try to make things right, as modern heroes have become too dark and conflicted compared to the lighter, more noble heroes of the past. Results in the Multiverse being restored; although "New Earth" retains much of the history of post-Crisis Earth, there is once again an Earth-2, Earth-3, Earth-5, Earth-10, etc.

2008: Final Crisis. Darkseid tries to overthrow reality, and Barry Allen returns.

2011: Flashpoint. Barry Allen tries to go back in time to stop his mother from dying, and breaks reality. When he is trying to fix it, he is contacted by a mysterious figure, telling him the world was split into three to weaken them for an impending threat, and must now be reunited to combat it. The DC, Veritgo, and Wildstorm universes are then merged, creating a brand new DC Universe: The New 52. In the New 52, heroes are now a relatively new thing, a lot of their shared history has been lost, and Wally West is now biracial.

2016: DC Rebirth. We discover what the "impending threat" is, and that it stole 10 years of history from the world just as Barry was fixing it, which is why so many relationships and characters were lost in the creation of the New 52. The DC Universe begins to shift to a form closer to pre-Flashpoint, with love and hope returning. Includes the return of the original Wally West from within the Speed Force, where he's been trapped since Flashpoint.
    wow - so does the tv series fit into the canon of any of this ? or is this purely the comic story? because never heard New 522 being mentioned and I'm wondering if the tv show will have the original Wally West return from the Speed force.

So you guys always knew Wally was going to become a speedster the moment they introduced him last season... was flashpoint first appearing in the comics? or is this canon across board first showing up in the TV series

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    wow - so does the tv series fit into the canon of any of this ? or is this purely the comic story? because never heard New 522 being mentioned and I'm wondering if the tv show will have the original Wally West return from the Speed force.

So you guys always knew Wally was going to become a speedster the moment they introduced him last season... was flashpoint first appearing in the comics? or is this canon across board first showing up in the TV series
    Probably won't show a different person altogether for Wally. That would require another actor for the same character. I'm sure we'll see different versions of Wally from other Earth's in time, but they would likely just be the same actor. New-52 isn't just another Earth so it's not like they can just pretend like Wally on lets say Earth-26 is a white ginger. And yes, it was pretty obvious he would eventually get his speed. Wouldn't make much sense to introduce him otherwise. Kind of like Jesse Quick (that and with the fake Jay Garrick gone, Earth-2 needed another speedster).

As for the show, it takes bits and pieces from all over the different era's of comics and modifies them to it's liking. Almost everything you see was in a comic one way or another. It just probably didn't happen the exact way it happened in that comic and that's partially to try and keep surprises going.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    As for the show, it takes bits and pieces from all over the different era's of comics and modifies them to it's liking. Almost everything you see was in a comic one way or another. It just probably didn't happen the exact way it happened in that comic and that's partially to try and keep surprises going.
    Quoted for truth. The TV show borrows from all of the Flash comics for inspiration and ideas, and brings them together into their own unique stories that still have echoes, some stronger than others, to the original stories.

In the comics, Francisco Ramone was a hero named Vibe, and Caitlin Snow was a villain named Killer Frost, so even before the Flash TV series premiered, when those characters made guest appearances during Arrow Season 2, people were already wondering when/if they'd get their powers.

When Wally showed up on the Flash, comic fans knew he had to get speed eventually somehow, but weren't sure if he'd get it the way the original Wally West did (same way Barry did), the way the New 52 Wally West did (as a result of the actions of his future self), or some other method. "Future" Wally West from New 52 had a red and silver costume, so when TV-Wally pulled up in a silver car with red trim, comic fans weren't sure if that was an Easter Egg or foreshadowing (and in fact, TV-Flashpoint Wally got his powers when lightning struck his car, ha!).

When "Jay Garrick" showed Caitlin his Earth-1 doppleganger during season 2 and told her that his name was Hunter Zolomon, red flags went up all over the place for comic fans, because in the comics, while Eobard Thawne was the Reverse Flash for Barry Allen, Hunter Zolomon was the Reverse Flash for Wally West, and he went by the name Zoom...

At the end of Season 2, when Barry saved his mother, many comic fans were screaming, "OMG THEY'RE DOING FLASHPOINT!", but since the comic version of Flashpoint involved Thomas Wayne being Batman and a war between Themyscira and Atlantis, and neither Wonder Woman, Aquaman nor Batman were on the CW, we all knew it would be very different.

In the comics, there's a speedster named Johnny Quick, who had a speedster daughter named Jesse. So when Earth-2 Wells showed up with a daughter named Jesse that he referred to as "my Jesse Quick," the countdown began to when she'd also get speed.

And in the comics, Flash has fought both Doctor Alchemy and Savitar...
    Last edited by Khime; 2016-12-07 at 08:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heart breaking :/

Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2016-12-07 at 09:01 PM.

The first two were from legends, true, but Jay's telling was accompanied by a scene of Savitar gaining his speed and armor from the stone, which implies a certain level of truth. However, we've had that happen before with "Jay fighting Zoom" being shown in a "flashback" as Zolomon told his fake backstory, which is why even what we're shown can't be trusted.
    Which is why I think Jay is Savitar, or at least connected. I'm not sure throwing the Stone into the Speedforce was an end, but might have been a way for it to land somewhere else. Hopefully I'm wrong since it'd sort of suck to have another turncoat...

Also I'm thinking Wally loses his speed at some point to Savitar or something.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post

Fun easter egg fact, look closer at you will see references to 52 everywhere on The Flash, whether its a containment room or a news channel, they sneak them in where possible.

This also applies to Arrow, didn't pay attention if they've done it on SG or LoT.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    • Savitar is future barry.
    • Iris will die.
    • H.R. will betray the team, probably be tricked or forced into it by his earth-17 friend

1. Unlikely, Savitar was probably created as a consequence of Flashpoint. The only way I could see him being Barry is if he's future Barry from the Flashpoint timeline. More likely due to his color scheme, I think it could be Eddie Thawne and that this Savitar is a mix of that character and Cobalt Blue.

2. Someone else mentioned HR's face tech, so I too believe he will die wearing Iris' face.

3. The betrayal will come from Wally, who will succumb to Savitar's control when he's fully powered up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Heart breaking :/

The music was perfect in this scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Which is why I think Jay is Savitar, or at least connected. I'm not sure throwing the Stone into the Speedforce was an end, but might have been a way for it to land somewhere else. Hopefully I'm wrong since it'd sort of suck to have another turncoat...

Also I'm thinking Wally loses his speed at some point to Savitar or something.
    We already had one "Jay Garrick" turn out to be evil, and it almost caused a revolt until his true identity was revealed. This Jay can't be a turncoat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    1. Unlikely, Savitar was probably created as a consequence of Flashpoint. The only way I could see him being Barry is if he's future Barry from the Flashpoint timeline. More likely due to his color scheme, I think it could be Eddie Thawne and that this Savitar is a mix of that character and Cobalt Blue.
    Savitar might have had parts of his backstory altered by Flashpoint, but I don't think he was created by that. Remember, changes in one Earth's timeline had no impact on people on other Earths (which is why Harry and Jesse don't remember the Speed Lab being built, and Supergirl didn't suddenly retroactively not have Barry's help for a while), yet Earth-3 Jay Garrick has already heard of Savitar from way back.

15+ Year Old Account
    Iris is going to die? Has Christmas come early?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I... I...

Why the hell are all of you fixating on the "possible future" thing!? There's a much more important issue here!

How the hell is Caitlin powerful enough to turn rain to snow over a suburban area!? Do they have any concept of how much energy is being moved around there!? I don't! It's gotta be intense, though! Holy Christ! That might actually be worse than "mach two" Barry dodging lightning!

Seriously, is anyone good enough at math to do that calc?

... Also how can Barry possibly afford that house? I mean, really.

Deleted
    There's no evidence that RF made any other deliberate changes to the timeline
    for YOU mayhaps RFs GRIN spoke worlds.
    Im sure we get one at the end of S3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    There is no evidence that RF did anything differently from when he left Nora's house onward.
    And there is NONE that he DIDNT.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    [LIST][*]Savitar is future barry.
    No hes not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    I... I...

Why the hell are all of you fixating on the "possible future" thing!? There's a much more important issue here!

How the hell is Caitlin powerful enough to turn rain to snow over a suburban area!? Do they have any concept of how much energy is being moved around there!? I don't! It's gotta be intense, though! Holy Christ! That might actually be worse than "mach two" Barry dodging lightning!

Seriously, is anyone good enough at math to do that calc?

... Also how can Barry possibly afford that house? I mean, really.
    I don't think it was the entire area, just around the house.

Evil (RF) Wells left him Star Labs and all its assets is why he can afford the apartment, and apparently owns the future JLA HQ.

I don't think it was the entire area, just around the house.

Evil (RF) Wells left him Star Labs and all its assets is why he can afford the apartment, and apparently owns the future JLA HQ.
    Naw, man, it's snowing at Barry's new house too. She's managing however much area that is.

And oh yeah I forgot he owns STAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    They used the same comic book logic that once allowed Iceman to use his cold powers to create ice cream out of thin air.

Does iris die finally ?
    Would be the best thing for the show if that happens.

Both the character and the actor playing it are godawful .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Iris is going to die? Has Christmas come early?
    haha, so true! Holy shit the melo-drama in these series (Flash & Arrow) piss me off to no end. I don't even know why I continue to watch these shows. Flash S1 was okay and Arrow with Deadshot and Slade Wilson was awesome. Now... Meh. Although the new Arrow season is doing a bit better right now. Just have to deal with the Felicity cringe scenes and the corny as hell 'sad piano' music that plays everytime someone has to 'go talk' with someone again.

Agents of Shield does the conversations much better. Fitz and Simmons for example are done so much better, and actually appear realistic conversations unlike the ones that generally happen in Flash and Arrow.

In the comics, the New 52 Wally West is biracial, and was originally the "only" Wally West after the comic book Flashpoint. DC Rebirth retconned that, so now there are two Wallace Wests, both of them speedsters named Kid Flash, both named after their great-grandfathers, and they are cousins. Iris West in the comics now has two brothers - Rudy West, the father of the Wally West from pre-Crisis who became the Flash, and Daniel West, the latest incarnation of Reverse-Flash and father of the New 52 Wally West. It's Daniel West's son who was the inspiration for the Wally West in the TV series, and probably the reason that Iris West in the TV series was race changed to match.
    Actually the opposite. They made iris black so they could later on have a black wally and because of the show they made wally black in the new 52.

- - - Updated - - -

Best part of the episods

"Caroling in the rain, HA sucks!"

i love hr
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

They used the same comic book logic that once allowed Iceman to use his cold powers to create ice cream out of thin air.
    He didn't create ice cream out of thin air you just don't wanna know the cream he used.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Actually the opposite. They made iris black so they could later on have a black wally and because of the show they made wally black in the new 52.
    Oh, yeah, it's been so long that I forgot they'd not yet introduced Wally West II when they were casting the Flash season 1. Though I wouldn't characterize it as "They made Iris black so they could have a black Wally" so much as "They decided to make the Joe and Iris black, and that informed both the reintroduction of Wally in the comics and the eventual casting of Wally in the show." But yeah, I got it backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    why not just have a miles morales esque flash? its not like the flash title hasnt been passed down to like 4 people at this point, why do they have to turn wally black?
    And hey, you eventually got your wish - now have both a new Wally West and the original Wally West in the comics.
    Last edited by Khime; 2016-12-08 at 06:10 PM.

Not sure what assets were added into the deal, but it's sort of funny. Ollie lost Queen Consolidated through TV-logic ("we vote against you, so you lose all your stocks" or whatever), while Barry got a defunct closed down dark matter reactor and somehow isn't bankrupt via inheritance/ property taxes.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."