10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PassingBy View Post
    letting the doctor and the state to take your responsibility from you after you fuck up.
    You seem... confused.

The state doesn't pay for abortions, and doctors do their job and their duty to the Hippocratic oath regardless.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Whew, good thing my wife got her procedure done last month.
    sans hysterectomy and castration (removal of ovaries/testes), all "fixing" procedures have a chance to produce babies

Quote Originally Posted by AzazeltheRuthless View Post
    It doesn't though. People don't understand what separation of church or state is. As long as he doesn't write a law saying, the state of Ohio's official religion is Catholicis....or the state of Ohio is starting it's own church. Even in the reverse, Religion is Banned in Ohio...... That's violation of the separation of church and state.

Saying abortion is illegal or legal...the argument can be made, that either side has no religious affiliation. As long as the argument can be made, it isn't in violation.
    The only people I have ever met that want abortion banned are religious types. Yet they want to kill with war and the death penalty. They also want contraception banned and welfare taken away from people. Sorry but your argument doesn't hold up. Even then, simply because I wasn't eluding to that this law is against the first amendment, I am saying it is against the Due Process Clause of the 14th amendment. Which is why Roe V Wade was put in place in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    So if a gay man gets elected does that mean all straight people are a minority and you aren't the norm?
    What law can he pass, that would affect your sexual orientation? Being gay, has no way of influencing your opinion on things, except maybe in some LGBT legislature such as marriage. Plenty of straight people support that just fine. Catholics actually will have opinion on laws, that they will take an interpretation of it from the bible.

Great job, Ohio! Doing it ISIS-style.
    Not barbaric at all.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    sans hysterectomy and castration (removal of ovaries/testes), all "fixing" procedures have a chance to produce babies
    By procedure I actually meant abortion.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    So how many years of legislation do you think the Republicans will repeal? 8 is too easy of a number.
    ?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

It doesn't though. People don't understand what separation of church or state is. As long as he doesn't write a law saying, the state of Ohio's official religion is Catholicis....or the state of Ohio is starting it's own church. Even in the reverse, Religion is Banned in Ohio...... That's violation of the separation of church and state.

Saying abortion is illegal or legal...the argument can be made, that either side has no religious affiliation. As long as the argument can be made, it isn't in violation.
    In other words, you don't think he should be able to say "Everyone in the state must now be a Catholic", but you're completely fine with saying "You can say you're whatever religion you want, but you must all now live by the rules of Catholicism."

Freedom of religion means nothing if you're compelled to live by the rules of a particular faith, even if in their "generosity" they allow you to claim that you don't actually practice that faith.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PassingBy View Post
    No it isn't.
    Getting an abortion is letting the doctor and the state to take your responsibility from you after you fuck up.
    How is the state taking responsibility?

Edit: You're also neglecting the real possibility of medical complications that can arise during pregnancy that require the termination of the fetus. Do you think this law will make that distinction?

10+ Year Old Account
    People don't understand what separation of church or state is.
    You clearly don't.

Queue Jefferson spinning in his fucking grave.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

What law can he pass, that would affect your sexual orientation? Being gay, has no way of influencing your opinion on things, except maybe in some LGBT legislature such as marriage. Plenty of straight people support that just fine. Catholics actually will have opinion on laws, that they will take an interpretation of it from the bible.
    I am following your logic that whoever get office means they only represent the majority not the welfare of everyone in their state. Your views are very narrow and closed minded, elected people should be taking office for the good of all not just a specific group. Who gets to decided who is the norm? the majority has a very bad track record when it comes to the rights of the minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    The only people I have ever met that want abortion banned are religious types. Yet they want to kill with war and the death penalty. They also want contraception banned and welfare taken away from people. Sorry but your argument doesn't hold up. Even then, simply because I wasn't eluding to that this law is against the first amendment, I am saying it is against the Due Process Clause of the 14th amendment. Which is why Roe V Wade was put in place in the first place.
    How does it not hold up? I'm not religious, I'm actually an athiest and I'm indifferent towards abortion. I don't care if it's banned or not, because I think it's an irrelevant issue on the federal scale. I'm personally against the idea of it, and it has no religious undertones to it at all. There are several people out there with similar thinking and that's why their are laws can be written about it. As long, as there is an argument that can be made for it to be legal or illegal, without religious implication, then a law can be made.

There are a lot of non-religious people who support death penalty and war just fine. Actually most Christians I run into are against war and the death penalty. Not all Republics are Christians. You do know they are separate?

Pretty sure laws like these are what the voters wanted.....Trump and the republicans have made their agenda pretty clear. Its a little late for outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Great job, Ohio! Doing it ISIS-style.
    Not barbaric at all.
    I've always thought the religious right in the US was more than a little bit jealous of the Taliban.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    And by this law, at that 8 weeks you try to get an abortion, you would be breaking the law.
    All forms of birth control have failure rates. Condoms, IUDs, the pill, the shot, the patch. All have failure rates. Even the "plan B" pill has a fucking failure rate of 5%. You would know this if you took a proper sex ed course
    Yeah..
    There is a possibility that if you are on a pill, or use a condom - it fails you.

For condoms the success rate is, if I am not mistaken >95%?

The consensus with doctors is that it is a good idea to use several birth control options. Condom and IUD, or Condom and a pill etc.
    This will increase the success chance of the birth control exponentially.

So your chances to actually get pregnant in this case are very slim.

You have to be a freaking lottery winner, and then also miss the fact that you are pregnant before you can legally make an abortion.

So as I said - you have to be seriously retarded or very unlucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    I am following your logic that whoever get office means they only represent the majority not the welfare of everyone in their states. Your views are very narrow and closed minded, elected people should be taking office for the good of all not just a specific group.
    An election determines the laws they want written for the state. Make any point you want, but the person that wins get to make the laws for all...that's how these things work. There is no middle ground in most things.

I want higher taxes vs lower taxes...some one is going to short end of the stick. Usually in election you have people whose views contradict each other. If you support the other candidate, and lose....you're going to see laws that benefit the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by antelope591 View Post
    Pretty sure laws like these are what the voters wanted.....Trump and the republicans have made their agenda pretty clear. Its a little late for outrage.
    it's foolish to think everyone embraces all the policies of a candidate, I did not endorse all of Obama's policies. In this election with two horrible candidates it is very unlikely people will support everything Trump does.

I don't see why people care about abortion. It literally doesn't hurt you at all, and has nothing to do with you if you aren't getting one. It'd be one thing to say you care about the safety of the woman thats getting an abortion, but I don't see that generally. The fact that abortion is "gross" isn;t really a good argument against it. Civil liberty is important, and its literally protected under the constitution via the 14th amendment if I'm not mistaken.

Its really disingenuous to care about the constitution only sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I don't see why people care about abortion. It literally doesn't hurt you at all
    Unless you're a women...

An election determines the laws they want written for the state. Make any point you want, but the person that wins get to make the laws for all...that's how these things work. There is no middle ground in most things.

I want higher taxes vs lower taxes...some one is going to short end of the stick. Usually in election you have people whose views contradict each other. If you support the other candidate, and lose....you're going to see laws that benefit the other side.
    You miss the point elected officials are not the determinant of what the norm is, they are just that elected officials. You stated that elected officials means that anyone who is not a carbon copy of them is not normal, that is both weird and again closed minded.