Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
    • Completing an attunement felt like serious character progression-- I didn't mind an instance being gated if I hadn't earned it.
    • The legendaries we had truly felt legendary. They were awe-inspiring and took at minimum 40 people to earn, if not more.
    • Being a tank in Vanilla fed my ego quite nicely!
    • Farming for mats was a lot less boring when I had 4 other people with me almost every single time.
    • More importantly, I had fun. I had more fun. And that's what it's about.
    • Attunement or scavenger hunt?
    • People seem to forget that fact and act like it was some personal accomplishment. Your guild basically got one, and you were just lucky enough/loyal enough to be assigned that "burden". What I mean to say is that 39 other people worked FOR YOU. You were basically given a legendary by 39 other people, you didn't work for it or earn it.
    • Well of course it did.
    • A warrior with thunderfury and a 4 person heal squad? Of course you had fun in vanilla.
    • See above.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2016-12-08 at 12:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Farming Black Lotus

camping broken tooth to tame the cloth destroier pet

Quote Originally Posted by saeros View Post
    the long leveling experience in crowded zones. you had to spend DAYS in a zone, instead of a few hours.

the endless spam for a dungeon group. on my server we also used to /who a range of level and then whisp to everyone (i don't know if it was a common thing to do)
    Can confirm this is something I used to do, usually /who warrior 60 as tanks were in short supply. It's also something that used to happen to me a lot when I leveled my warrior during TBC from lvl 30 (Scarlet Monastery time) onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Yeah, and people generally used LFG for groups because it was global.

People did use trade chat but it was generally used for people trying to sell or get stuff crafted, whereas most of the groupfinding like what he said was put in LFG.
    Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    Global LFG didn't exist in vanilla for some time. I very distinctly remember since the only global channel back then was world defense. Can't find patch history though, but I'm pretty sure you're confusing vanilla with nostalgiashit realms.
    The LFG channel in Vanilla required you to go to a meeting stone (now used as summoning stones) to use an early version of the LFG interface. It was mid-to-late TBC that gave us the global LFG channel you could access from anywhere. Personally I absolutely loved that system, whichever character I was on would be in that channel and I could flip between my alts/main if there was a dungeon group I wanted to join.

Best part of Vanilla was when it ended. Then TBC came along and it was somehow substantially worse.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Uhm, wouldn't SMC be Scarlet Monastery Cathedral? Or am I missing something?
    *shrug* probably. I played paladin anyway but I'm sure that actually using tradeskills to farm would be more fruitful than chain running instances to vendor drops. Ymmv ofc

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Can confirm this is something I used to do, usually /who warrior 60 as tanks were in short supply. It's also something that used to happen to me a lot when I leveled my warrior during TBC from lvl 30 (Scarlet Monastery time) onwards.

The LFG channel in Vanilla required you to go to a meeting stone (now used as summoning stones) to use an early version of the LFG interface. It was mid-to-late TBC that gave us the global LFG channel you could access from anywhere. Personally I absolutely loved that system, whichever character I was on would be in that channel and I could flip between my alts/main if there was a dungeon group I wanted to join.
    Yeah that system with the chat channel didn't come about for a long time though. And noone used the meeting stones bc laziness was a thing. anyway, again, ymmv

10+ Year Old Account
    spamming one button and be top dps
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

When the portal to outland opened?

By far the best part.

Deleted
    Two words that really bring back memories.
    World PVP.

When in durotar or wherever, you never knew when a brawl would break loose and a 1-3 hour long battle might break out, one minute you'd be questing, next thing. War.

"jesus this guy is grandmarshal and has the full set and sword"
    "woahhh that t3 showoff on the IF bridge"
    "holy fuck look at this hunter in insane dragon armor"
    "omfg pvp guy annihilating anyone farming in eastern plague lands - wait what? it is shurrik? WOAH I MIGHT BE IN A VIDEO"

Quote Originally Posted by Sastank View Post
    I miss forums and sites not having threads about Vanilla and people crying over legacy servers.
    Well instead we had people crying because they wanted Blizzard to open new servers so they could start fresh.

Then they would open a new server.. it would be massively overcrowded for two weeks.. and then everyone would ditch the characters they created there and go back to playing their mains on their original server.

Deleted
    spending countless hours a week sitting on the ironforge bridge by the bank, talking to other guilds about what strat's they use, class builds, gear tips and having actual conversations that did not involve any moronic conversations, no matter how silly a question might have seemed.

I remember that there was about 10 of us, just chilling on the bridge when a fresh dinged 60 randomly asked us what he should do now, not one bad word was said, he was invited to a guild, we asked around in our guilds and got 20 people together for an AQ20 raid and got some nice gear on his first day! That would rarely happen now unless you know someone in the guild, or pay for a boost.

The whole Community aspect of this game has gone right down the shitter as the game has got bigger. and that is what I miss about the game. The community aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquetto View Post
    Well instead we had people crying because they wanted Blizzard to open new servers so they could start fresh.

Then they would open a new server.. it would be massively overcrowded for two weeks.. and then everyone would ditch the characters they created there and go back to playing their mains on their original server.
    I only ever played on Mannoroth in Vanilla. Boy were those...trying times, lol.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Agility on plate?
    I actually liked to have stat which weren't just "power for class X" but actually had effects which was logical for them.
    I actually liked spirit on gear for leveling purpose - especially as warrior, this regeneration between mob was actually very noticeable and effective, in a game without near-instant recuperation.
    Also, non-optimized stat distribution allowed for much more variety than the utterly boring template of today (+X powerstat, +Y stamina, +Z1 secondary stat, +Z2 secondary stat, here I just described perfectly 99 % of items in the game).

Small bags and no vendor anywhere near.

Not vanilla, but when you hit 70 in tbc and bought flying for a huge amount of gold and an equally pricey but ugly flying mount and it was only 60% speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    To be fair, back then agility was at least useful since it had a 1-1 damage formula for warriors (whereas strength was 2-1). This got so bad that Fury warriors were often rolling against ferals and rogues for leather, and in BC many BiS Fury items early on were leather. Blizz ended up putting in Armored to the Teeth as a sort of stopgap measure to try getting Fury warriors to roll on plate instead, until removing the benefits from Agility in... either Cata or MoP, I can't recall which offhand, coupled with better DPS plate itemization from Wrath onward.
    Agi never granted attack power (directly) to wars, but that gear did have +Attack Power on it as a stat. Not to mention it gave a slight boost to crit chance. So agi gear wasn't bad at all until Cata...that's then they removed +Attack Power from gear and made agi literally do nothing for plate wearers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    I'm surprised you missed out how SMC = silvermoon city
    10 points for spotting this, however SMC is Scarlet Monastery Cathedral
    Last edited by mmoc1f234b9ee4; 2016-12-08 at 04:22 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm...

90% of trinkets in the game were worthless 5-10 min cds for minimal 10-15 second effect uses with no stats.
    Epics were more often than not greens with purple text. Unless it was tier gear.
    Classes had about as much selection in their playstyles as a fish has in selecting where it'd like to live.
    Hunters wanted everything, rogues wanted strength swords and crossbows, paladins wanted cloth...and somehow some people seemed so shocked that loot would cause sooooooooooooooo much drama.
    A level 60 raid's sixth boss dropped a level 57 weapon. Yes. That's right.
    "Are you specced Kings? No? /kick"
    Being a fire mage in MC/BWL, being a warlock in Naxx, I hear having the majority of your damage resisted or outright ignored is pretty compelling gameplay design!

Did I name enough amazing things in vanilla yet? Or should I keep going.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Agility on plate?
    Agility helped with dodge, and TBC ret pallies used agi.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    You mispelled spirit...j/k, plate could be found with either agi or spirit (or both, as early renditions of the Valor set had).

Unrelated note...this thread's gonna go places.
    Holy pallies needed spirit. You know because all pallies were holy in vanills.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Colmadero View Post
    Or having to keep food on you to keep your pet happy, otherwise it would do subpar dps.
    And having one win a int shield against me becasue he said hunters used int and the ML was an idiot. What was hunter loot back then? Everything.