Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Please don't hurt me for saying this: Final Fantasy X

The progression is system is clunky and convoluted
    Stopped reading here. Sphere Grid and Summoners Glyph system are some of the best progression systems ever in JRPG's. The customization potential with them is incredible.

Worst JRPG I've played is probably Grandia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tales of Zestiria.

I remember when combos from this series could get intricate as fuck and were a big part of your mobility

the game made me feel like i was playing weeb rockem sockems. i mean im sure some people don't think it was that bad, but this company has done so much better so I was pretty disappointed

even tales of vesperia a game 7 years it's minor was a much better feeling (and honestly? better looking) game with a less boring story and cast of characters.

Tales of the Abyss has probably had the best combat system in the series so far. What a remarkable game.

Please don't hurt me for saying this: Final Fantasy X
    too late

gonna kick you right in the nads
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2016-12-08 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    yeh and you with FF 7 you should list that you've own played FF's and zero other JRPG's so your worst JRPG is a FF because you've played no others.

its like saying whats the worst mmorpg you've ever played, and people will say WoW, you'll be lije nice trolling, but no they've only played a total of 1 mmorpg so technically its their worst.
    If I've correctly deconstructed your sentence (good job me), you're telling me that I haven't played any other JRPGs aside from anything Final Fantasy? Do not make assumptions. I have played many JRPGs from Chrono Trigger through to the "Tales of" games, Star Ocean series, Shin Megami and Dragon Quest. I'm currently playing The Last Guardian also. I'm not saying that everyone should agree with my own opinion of Final Fantasy 7, all I'm saying is that it wasn't for me.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    this game, hated the combat in it, and omg sooooo many loading screens, people that played through it claims its a good game but the combat and the load screens was just boring.
    I know this was a VERY divisive title, but honestly I LOVED it and really wish they'd bring another one out.

I think the main problem with it, was the combat was SUPER meta. It seemed like it was just this random shit and then things happened, where at best you could give suggestions to your party (or rather, your army) on what you wanted them to do...

But actually, with a little tweaking and the correct setup, it was more than possible to control what was going on. The only problem was you needed shitloads of either research and guide reading, or about 10x that amount of trial and error to work all that out.

Thing is, if you did it was actually a very fun system.

Also: I find it impossible to hate ANY game with a Last Exile reference in it.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morillus View Post
    Was just thinking about horrible JRPG's for some reason and was curious to hear what the worst ones you've played are.

For me, Granstream Saga, Guardian's Crusade, Shadow Madness, Enchanted Arms and Hyperdimension Neptunia spring to mind. I'm pretty sure I got a quarter to half way through these and just gave up.

The worst that I've finished would have to be Holy Magic Century (Quest 64). What a load of rubbish.
    Bolded is better than a lot of these "popular" jrpgs that come out these days. Looking at you Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Maybe Saga Frontier. But the SNES Era brought the equal of greatness as awfulness.
    i have forgotten about that game lol, as a kid i had no idea what was going on it, i remember going as far as i could with red and blue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    I would say Xenogears. it started out really good but about half way through the game changed so that instead of actually going through the dg's they just told you about it and gave you a battles to fight.
    i think they rushed it thats why the disk 2 was like that, but over all i thought xenogears was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    Tales of Zestiria.

I remember when combos from this series could get intricate as fuck and were a big part of your mobility

the game made me feel like i was playing weeb rockem sockems. i mean im sure some people don't think it was that bad, but this company has done so much better so I was pretty disappointed

even tales of vesperia a game 7 years it's minor was a much better feeling (and honestly? better looking) game with a less boring story and cast of characters.

Tales of the Abyss has probably had the best combat system in the series so far. What a remarkable game.
    Tales of the Abyss has more or less the same combat as most of the games as far as I know, like Tales of Symphonia.

Zestiria though, I would have to agree is a lackluster at the least. The best part of it was the intro song. Especially coming right after Tales of Xillia 2, which had the best combat system in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    then you should try play some more JRPG's, it's not the best FF but if thats your worst, you've played like 3?
    Admitted only a few; Xenoblade Chronicles, FFT, FFTA2, FE Fates, FFX, FFXII, and the Pokemon games. That being said, I was sincere when I said that FFX's sphere grid and tedious levels/side quests got on my nerves. The story was at least fine and the voice work wasn't bad enough to turn me away, but the gameplay was truthfully the worst of any JRPG I've yet played.

Admitted only a few; Xenoblade Chronicles, FFT, FFTA2, FE Fates, FFX, FFXII, and the Pokemon games. That being said, I was sincere when I said that FFX's sphere grid and tedious levels/side quests got on my nerves. The story was at least fine and the voice work wasn't bad enough to turn me away, but the gameplay was truthfully the worst of any JRPG I've yet played.
    there's nothing wrong with it unless you want to ultra end game, then just about any FF game is usually quite grindy and literally doubles to quadruples your playtime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    I would say Xenogears. it started out really good but about half way through the game changed so that instead of actually going through the dg's they just told you about it and gave you a battles to fight.
    Yeah, what the fuck was up with that shit? It's like they only made half a game and then said "Fuck it, let's just call it a day."

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Makai Kingdom.

I absolute adore the Disgaea series, but I really just hated everything they did differently in this game.

The protagonist was annoying, the battle system was different for no discernible reason (for the worse), I hated the way movement and targeted worked in the game, and the "extension" system for the maps, overall I thought it was just incredibly subpar.
    My big complaint was just that it was too short. They were working on Disgaea2 at the same time and it clearly needed more effort. At least 35% longer and more characters fleshed out. IE: Always felt there should have been more there with Pram. Also with the more effort, a lot of the maps didn't seem to tie into being related to the story for the chapter. The character advancement system was decently interesting. Post-game their version of the item world could be problematic when diving if all the monsters had low point values—getting the 100 points to get out of the match would get really dicey.

The 3D combat system itself was debuted with Phantom Brave, so it wasn't the first to use it. In the end, they obviously decided it was too clunky and stuck with the simplicity of a grid-based system. Although Compile Heart's current combat system for Fairy Fencer and Neptunia is similar to NIS 3D system.

All of them?
    I really don't get thoes games.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've been fortunate so far in that I've enjoyed almost every JRPG I've played, though I remember buying a game for PS2 called Ephemeral Fantasia. It was the only video game I've ever returned. I don't know if it would have gotten better if I kept playing, but I didn't care enough to find out. I tried playing the Last Remnant on PC and it was designed for a controller, so its on hold for now. Not sure if I'll like that one or not when I get around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Quest 64.

I was legitimately only able to play it because I was a kid at the time and had no idea about plot anyway.
    I am losing a lot of respect for you Joe. Although to be fair one of the main reasons that Quest 64 was good was because the N64 was starved for RPGs, but the battle and spell systems were still way ahead of their time and the difficulty was just perfect.

I am guessing that Parasite Eve wasn't really your thing either?

For my part I'd say that the worst JRPG I have ever played was one of the early Personas. Confusing battle system that rewards you for befriending monsters, silly 3d navigation segments where it is too easy to get lost and too much pseudo-philosophical nonsense. There were no redeeming quality to those games whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    I am losing a lot of respect for you Joe. Although to be fair one of the main reasons that Quest 64 was good was because the N64 was starved for RPGs, but the battle and spell systems were still way ahead of their time and the difficulty was just perfect.

I am guessing that Parasite Eve wasn't really your thing either?

For my part I'd say that the worst JRPG I have ever played was one of the early Personas. Confusing battle system that rewards you for befriending monsters, silly 3d navigation segments where it is too easy to get lost and too much pseudo-philosophical nonsense. There were no redeeming quality to those games whatsoever.
    Haven't tried Parasite Eve, but don't get me wrong. The spell system was awesome, the combat was a bit odd but it was better than the Witchers at least in my opinion.

The story though? What the hell happened there. Everything's so spread out, they made the world way too large for what they could handle. And then it just gets trippy and depressing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Tales of the Abyss has more or less the same combat as most of the games as far as I know, like Tales of Symphonia.

Zestiria though, I would have to agree is a lackluster at the least. The best part of it was the intro song. Especially coming right after Tales of Xillia 2, which had the best combat system in my opinion.
    well i dont really know how to describe it but xillia just had this... very restrictive feel to it. it wasn't like playing symphonia or abyss. still way better than zestiria though. Vesperia also had a lack of fluidity in movement but at least your combos were awesome.

everything about the older games just felt right. Well, maybe besides performing mystic artes. i really enjoyed playing those games on hard difficulties.

I found Unlimited Saga to be unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    well i dont really know how to describe it but xillia just had this... very restrictive feel to it. it wasn't like playing symphonia or abyss. still way better than zestiria though. Vesperia also had a lack of fluidity in movement but at least your combos were awesome.

everything about the older games just felt right. Well, maybe besides performing mystic artes. i really enjoyed playing those games on hard difficulties.
    Well the partner thing would probably cause that in Xillia, oh and also the combo meter only allowing a certain amount of attacks before having to wait, but for Xillia 2 I was used to it by then, and Ludger himself has the ability to switch weapons midfight. I just enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slirith View Post
    Bolded is better than a lot of these "popular" jrpgs that come out these days. Looking at you Persona
    Yea fan service garb with terrible controls and gameplay systems are much better the games with actual substance to them.

The neptunia series is garbage, I can play fan service games that are actually fun(hi senran kagura) but no one should defend a literal shit coded game because they get to see their waifus dressed up in it.

There is a reason Persona has the power to branch out of it's niche and Neptunia is a slave to it's niche. No one would put up with the shit gameplay in Neptunia if they're not looking for their fan service fix.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-12-08 at 05:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Septerra Core if it counts. The combat system was so terrible, I think I made it a little over an hour in.