10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    That's a matter of opinion.
    I consider neither retarded wild star level comical facial animations my Draenei does now now their schizophrenic voices, done by 2 different VO artists "fantastic" by any stretch of the imagination.

Can't speak for other races, but in the case of Draenei, Blizzard did some DAMN sloppy work. "Your character in HD" my ass.
    Well I'm sorry, the new female draenei model is light years ahead of the old model to me. I love my paladin! :P
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I agree that some of the changes are not on point, and some are flat out sloppy. My biggest gripe is that they still can't fix clipping issues with hair and armor. Or weapons and cloaks....or hair and weapons....

My Male Blood Elf Paladin has a really nice pretty shield and/ or sword on his back that gets to have a pretty red swatch of hair sticking out of it. It's distracting.

I have no doubt that if FFXIV were to implement model updates that they'd be well done. Nothing Yoshi's team has done as far as quality of work has been disappointing, and in most cases has impressed me and left me very happy.
    If they did I bet they could use the 1.0 assets as a base

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Well I'm sorry, the new female draenei model is light years ahead of the old model to me.
    The model itself is fine, except that it fails to capture the cuteness of the old Draenei.
    It's mainly the animation work that ruin it.

Just let your Draenei dance and watch her face. >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    I have I find those faces funny as hell and I like the new facial expressions across all of the new models. That's why I hope if they do remodels in FFXIV, they can implement better/faster animated facial expressions that don't look like the current forced ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    And talent trees! I'd love to be able to make my character more unique
    I think you'll have to settle for the cross-class overhaul, which is much-needed too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    I have I find those faces funny as hell and I like the new facial expressions across all of the new models. That's why I hope if they do remodels in FFXIV, they can implement better/faster animated facial expressions that don't look like the current forced ones.
    THAT I think is cultural not model related see how some characters in anime act or live action Japanese movies

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    THAT I think is cultural not model related see how some characters in anime act or live action Japanese movies
    I've watched hundreds of anime (1992 to present) and seen enough movies to know what looks right and what doesn't. FFXIV facial expressions have always been too rigid for my tastes and I do believe that is model related. GW2 suffers from the same shit really.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    As I've said before, one of the biggest things they need to do is reduce the amount of bar space needed for combos by putting chains onto a single button rather than 3. After that, get rid of the differing levels of functionally identical spells to stop the need for having them all on your bars depending on the level of content you're doing.
    the combo thing would really only work well for drg and i think they already said in an interview that they aren't going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    And talent trees! I'd love to be able to make my character more unique
    Talent trees will just open up more problems than its worth in the end.
    Just take WoW life cycle and all the balancing that's has been going on every single patch. And in the end people still gravitate to a generic set build. Or even a set spec... even back in the age of the old talent trees.
    The amount of flack I had to deal with back in burning crusade for being a Surv hunter was hilarious.

Talent Trees just make it a hell to properly balancing things for trials and savage because there will be a multitude of variables that the Devs need to keep in mind when tuning the encounters.

People will complain that their choice of talents (the way they want to play) isn't optimal and they are getting shunned out of groups.
    Others that are top/world first will be basically forced to roll certain cookie cutter builds to be able to stay on top. And then of course you have a group that sees the top FC/Savage raiders rolling with certain specs and blindly roll those specs or enforce others to do so because top raiders....

I have no qualms with some customizing but I rather have Yoshi doing that with the new cross skill revamp that they have planned,then giving every class talent trees.

The last thing I personally want dont want back in this game someone telling me how I should "spec" my WHM or other class because some random person stated its the most optimal spec. And if you in a semi serious or even top end static this is pretty much what will happen.

With all the mmo's I have played that had talent trees they always looked great on paper but in practice there's always that "optimal" spec that rolls out and people just pick that. And those that dont usually just end setting themselves up for in game abuse, Being benched on their raids or even mocked or made fun of.

Quote Originally Posted by Malackai View Post
    With all the mmo's I have played that had talent trees they always looked great on paper but in practice there's always that "optimal" spec that rolls out and people just pick that. And those that dont usually just end setting themselves up for in game abuse, Being benched on their raids or even mocked or made fun of.
    This exactly why they have the current system in WoW. Blizzard found that most people took the "optimal" spec which only really gave the illusion of choice, and some were clever enough to find hybrid specs that performed so OP in some situations that Blizz really had to crack down on them and nerf those sometimes at the expense of the actually intended spec.

Now, the game is much easier to balance, with all of the +5% xyz stat talents baked into the spec, with the actual "spec" being chosen at level 10 and locked in with specific abilities and far fewer, but more impactful talent choices. That said, even in today's game, there's still "cookie cutter" builds that end up getting dictated by sims or top guilds, but in many cases the difference between the TOP build and another one is a few percentage points.

I like that in FFXIV I don't have to worry about anything other than my cross class skills and that most everyone who plays X job all have the same toolkit. The content in this game is very well balanced and well executed, I'd hate to add anything in that would jeopardize that.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I agree that some of the changes are not on point, and some are flat out sloppy. My biggest gripe is that they still can't fix clipping issues with hair and armor. Or weapons and cloaks....or hair and weapons....

My Male Blood Elf Paladin has a really nice pretty shield and/ or sword on his back that gets to have a pretty red swatch of hair sticking out of it. It's distracting.

I have no doubt that if FFXIV were to implement model updates that they'd be well done. Nothing Yoshi's team has done as far as quality of work has been disappointing, and in most cases has impressed me and left me very happy.
    The clipping is bad in every single game I've ever played. In actuality some of the worst clipping I've ever seen was during my tenure in FF14. Long hair? Nope can't wear any robed armor or your hair clips through it. Same with earrings, and your weapon goes through your skirt piece.

In WoW I had clipping issues, but never as bad, but thats mostly due to the armor sets I used. The game ultimately suffered from the exact same issue despite me personally being able to avoid it a little better.

Talent trees will just open up more problems than its worth in the end.
    Just take WoW life cycle and all the balancing that's has been going on every single patch. And in the end people still gravitate to a generic set build. Or even a set spec... even back in the age of the old talent trees.
    The amount of flack I had to deal with back in burning crusade for being a Surv hunter was hilarious.

Talent Trees just make it a hell to properly balancing things for trials and savage because there will be a multitude of variables that the Devs need to keep in mind when tuning the encounters.
    1) As players we should have 0 concern over how hard it is for them to balance. We are not on their payroll. I don't ask for a different sandwich because maybe mine takes more effort to make, that's just stupid. That is essentially what you're saying.

2) You're comparing something that you experienced a decade ago is if improvements/refinement hasn't been made in strides since then.

People will complain that their choice of talents (the way they want to play) isn't optimal and they are getting shunned out of groups.
    Others that are top/world first will be basically forced to roll certain cookie cutter builds to be able to stay on top. And then of course you have a group that sees the top FC/Savage raiders rolling with certain specs and blindly roll those specs or enforce others to do so because top raiders....
    People will complain or you will complain? I think you're over-generalizing quite considerably here. I personally like the idea of an additional system of character choice/growth regardless of the tuning consequences. I'd like to believe that others would agree with me.

In WoW -> I can use whatever talents I want. Some are pidgeon-holed or once you acquire a certain item/trinket/relic trait become optimal etc, but there are STILL a plethora of valid choices in each talent tree. You also dramatically over-generalizing how much average players follow top players. I don't see a lot of evidence that supports this (I'd even posit an enormous majority of average players couldn't even tell you who a top player is). I'd argue that semi-talented players may attempt to emulate top players, but they also typically have the common sense to know why something works and why it doesn't, hence why they're fairly talented and would know what works and what doesn't from experience.

I have no qualms with some customizing but I rather have Yoshi doing that with the new cross skill revamp that they have planned,then giving every class talent trees.
    Existing Cross class skills are one of the worst designed elements in the game IMO. That said I wouldn't be opposed to building a talent-ish system off of this. Picking a unique skill/trait talent off of another job, but the bigger issue is I just don't think the game's combat paradigm is designed to support cross classes in any meaningful way so this feels moot.

I always thought the materia system would be the best fit for "talent trees" in this game. Instead they gave us the most bland materia system I could have ever imagined lol.

The last thing I personally want dont want back in this game someone telling me how I should "spec" my WHM or other class because some random person stated its the most optimal spec. And if you in a semi serious or even top end static this is pretty much what will happen.
    Again, because someone picked on you 10 years ago as a Surv Hunter in BC you've been scarred ever since. No one is going to tell you how to play anymore than they already do. As someone who's played top end, you don't get told what to do, you're expected to know what to do and you do it ahead of time. If there's an issue you identify the issue, and fix it. If that would involve using a different talent, then so be it. Nothing to do with someone telling you what to do. Or you know you could defend yourself with logic and examples to the person telling you how to play.

I once had a person tell me that I should give them blessing of wisdom. I told them no, because over the course of a boss fight you'd regain enough mana to cast 1 spell. Might is approx. 2-3% of my damage per person which speeds the fight up so that extra heal is not needed. He shut up.

Not true. You're over-generalizing again. There are going to be outliers where a choice isn't really there (i.e. Current WoW Ret Crusade is mandatory once you get applicable traits). That's fine. What's not fine is when every single row has no choice, which is not the case at all.

If you want to talk about cookie cutter shit, look at the cross class stuff now. Every single person who plays the game runs the EXACT same cross class skills. No choice, and people are chided, denied groups based on not having certain "mandatory" ones (swiftcast b4b, etc.).
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2016-12-07 at 05:47 PM.

The whole cross class skill system is a novel concept on the surface, but it's exactly like old WoW's talent points where people are simply going to choose the optimal skills/talents, with some of those being mandatory to function properly at max level.

As for character models, this game kills me with how much any sort of long hair clips with armor. Seems like every robe and/or heavy armor I choose to use has some sort of collar or shoulderguard that clips like mad with any hair that has length. The armor in my current avatar pic (Allagan) is one such example. All the more reason to glamour into a t-shirt or such, but that's no fun to me.

With the WoW models, I couldn't stand the run animation that my orcs ended up with. Ended up fem orc just for less of a ridiculous run animation before I quit playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think hair clipping is an issue in virtually any game unless you spend extensive resources on animating the hair, which isn't really feasible if you want your game to run smoothly while up to 50 players hit the same mob.

Deleted
    Aside from my weapon clipping when it's on my back, I didn't have many issues in FFXIV
    Maybe because I play a male character? But then again, my friends play females and I don't notice it on them either.
    Never noticed weird Earpiece clippen either, but maybe that's because people actually pick some that are not clipping or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    The clipping is bad in every single game I've ever played. In actuality some of the worst clipping I've ever seen was during my tenure in FF14. Long hair? Nope can't wear any robed armor or your hair clips through it. Same with earrings, and your weapon goes through your skirt piece.
    This can't be true. Seriously. I'm thinking the opposite.
    The only issues I can get behind are weapons, but that's mostly because so many of them have absurd sizes.

I never had my armor clip into my head or some other shit I get when I play WoW for example.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-12-07 at 10:28 PM.

i'll take clipping any day if it means we get longer hair options.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    Never noticed weird Earpiece clippen either, but maybe that's because people actually pick some that are not clipping or something.
    Pretty much, yes. I currently wear the tome earrings and they DO clip into my braids. I'll happily provide a screenshot when I play in the evening if you do not believe me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think hair clipping is an issue in virtually any game unless you spend extensive resources on animating the hair, which isn't really feasible if you want your game to run smoothly while up to 50 players hit the same mob.
    I'd love to see that, lol.

Oddly there's not that much hair clipping I'm aware of in PSO2, but there's a decent amount of clothing clipping in certain emotes or stances. Like my china dress atm, if I use one of the idle emotes I have, one side of the dress clips into the leg. Issue with PSO2 is that it's physics based for the clothing animation. Dresses can flip over for certain emotes (especially hand stand emote), twirl and stuff, how much it twirls will be based off your rate of turning, blah blah blah. However because it's physics, weird things just happen. Clipping I think is pretty impossible to completely solve without having essentially only one generic model and clothing.

Deleted
    Pretty much, yes. I currently wear the tome earrings and they DO clip into my braids. I'll happily provide a screenshot when I play in the evening if you do not believe me.
    Please do, I'm actually kinda eager to see what kind of atrocious clipping we are talking about here that make people call it "one of the worst they've seen".
    (The awesome fact that you are allowed/able to see earrings that are identical to their inventory-icons aside).

Just taking a look inside the "post your character"-thread pretty much shows how much better it is compared to similar games though.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-12-08 at 07:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    i'll take clipping any day if it means we get longer hair options.
    Aye, sure some chest armors looks a bit eh with long hairstyle(s), but I still prefer to play with long hair.

I have trouble staying as Miqo'te since I'm simply not satisfied with the choices of long hairstyles - some of them are close, but simply just not right.

For example this hairstyle..

..I'd be happy to use it as I like front view, but sadly hair behind is bound with couple hairbands, which completely ruins it for me - if they'd offer option with "free" hair instead of hairbands, I'd throw that Fantasia and play my cat happily today - but alas, that's not an option.

Other two "longish" hairstyles that I like to use for Miqo'te are these two:

Aside from my weapon clipping when it's on my back, I didn't have many issues in FFXIV
    Maybe because I play a male character? But then again, my friends play females and I don't notice it on them either.
    While I can't say for certain I imagine playing a male is MUCH better on the clipping front as a large majority of the clipping results from long hair, which I don't imagine many males to have. The weapon stuff is minor, which I'm pretty sure I said. The hair is the MAJOR culprit.

This can't be true. Seriously. I'm thinking the opposite.
    The only issues I can get behind are weapons, but that's mostly because so many of them have absurd sizes.

I never had my armor clip into my head or some other shit I get when I play WoW for example.
    No it's definitely true. Try equipping the armor of light on a PLD with any hair longer than your ears. This isn't the only piece in fact almost all armor runs into this issue.

Please do, I'm actually kinda eager to see what kind of atrocious clipping we are talking about here that make people call it "one of the worst they've seen".
    (The awesome fact that you are allowed/able to see earrings that are identical to their inventory-icons aside).

Just taking a look inside the "post your character"-thread pretty much shows how much better it is compared to similar games though.
    Most people aren't going to be happy with showing off their characters sick clipping lol. Most people will make compromises in armor choice or hair choice to get the look they like. Most people will also not show angles that deliberately show clipping when posting a shot of their character either lol.