Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    What does a collie have to do with anything
    The point that some people would manage to get bitten (or worse, get their kids or innocent people bitten) by any dog.

Pitbulls are wonderful, loving dogs. Your ignorance is astounding. Myou should be ashamed of yourself.

Pitbulld are on the wrong side of the bulk of dog fatalities in the country. Believe any reason for that you like. My desire to have a safe environment for my family beats out any dogs cute factor or my desire to believe they might be great animals.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Here are some more facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_breeding

Things can be changed. I'd be more inclined to correct the breed, than to watch it become extinct because people fear it.
    I don't think pits are in danger of going extinct any time soon. Just because Montreal banned them doesn't mean the rest of NA, let alone the world, will follow suit.

I think pits make cute dogs, I personally wouldn't own another one after my last one. She was my baby for the few years I had her, just not my breed of choice if I were to get another dog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Pitbulls/amstaff are a amazing breed and great family dogs if raised properly. It's gangsters and criminals giving it a bad rep they can't raise them for shit and only own them as a trophy for respect.
    But sadly, they are the ones breeding them. So it's only get worse if nothing is done about it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    The point that some people would manage to get bitten (or worse, get their kids or innocent people bitten) by any dog.
    Oh, you should word your points better, then.

Quote Originally Posted by BannedForViews View Post
    Pitbulls are wonderful, loving dogs. Your ignorance is astounding. Myou should be ashamed of yourself.
    Until they aren't. You just quoted 90% of the owners of dogs that just mauled a child.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    And you obviously know nothing about dogs. Pit bulls are first off not a breed, it's a generalization of four different breeds. One of which has pit bull in the name. With that said, they are terriers, and terriers are known to be nursery dogs. The issue is not the dog, but the owners. My parents have a silver lab(technically chocolate lab) who's vicious towards new people. Simply because they don't know how to handle a dog. Do yourself a favor and stay out of pet services as a career.
    Actually they are bull terriers, who have nothing to do with these terriers:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tle_tootie.JPG

These little cutie will not fuck you up because you didn't read his mood that day lol

7+ Year Old Account
    http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-do...-faq.php#media

Q: Why do pit bull owners say, "My dog might lick you to death?"

To understand the experience of owning a negatively perceived dog, Tufts Center for Animals and Public Policy did a study on pit bull owners. Researchers found that owners of out-law dog breeds directly feel the stigma targeted at their breed and resort to various tactics to lessen it. One of the tactics included attempts to counterbalance the pit bull's menacing appearance and physical power with overwhelming "affectionate" behavior, such as: "My dog might lick you to death."19

The dog breed is violent plain and simple. They have been breed to be that way. Stop denying facts and accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Pitbulls/amstaff are a amazing breed and great family dogs if raised properly. It's gangsters and criminals giving it a bad rep they can't raise them for shit and only own them as a trophy for respect.
    I wouldn't go that far. Reading through the statistics posted here about the deaths from pits, a lot of them didn't seem to be in the inner city. A good portion were the people's own dogs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think pits are in danger of going extinct any time soon. Just because Montreal banned them doesn't mean the rest of NA, let alone the world, will follow suit.

I think pits make cute dogs, I personally wouldn't own another one after my last one. She was my baby for the few years I had her, just not my breed of choice if I were to get another dog.
    You'd be shocked! There are many who really do feel the entire breed should be erased.

It is both. You can selectively breed animals for certain traits; in fact, we do so all of the time. That is why we have different dog breeds, with different innate tendencies. Herding dogs that have an instinct to herd, scent hounds, retrievers that love to carry things in their mouth, protection breeds. Behavior is a combination of GENETICS and ENVIRONMENT, it is folly to claim that behavior is only attributable to environment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2253978/

This is a clip of a domesticated fox experiment in Russia. Foxes deemed aggressive were separated out from tame foxes, with the goal of creating a domesticated fox. Clear behavioral differences were apparent within a few breeding generations.

This is what happens when some people breed animals with aggression in mind.

You'd be shocked! There are many who really do feel the entire breed should be erased.
    I'm positive that there are people that feel that way, but in the now couple decades that pits have been stigmatized, only 1 town that I am aware of has outright banned them. And they at least gave people time to either move with their dogs or give the dogs away to people in other towns. Until I see Justin Trudeau or Obama/Trump calling for the eradication of pitbulls, I think pit owners are safe for the time being, vicious and non vicious alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelorra View Post
    Actually they are bull terriers, who have nothing to do with these terriers:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tle_tootie.JPG

These little cutie will not fuck you up because you didn't read his mood that day lol
    Terrier is a group, bull terrier is a direct breed associated with the Pitty status. That doesn't change the fact that they are in fact a terrier. There's different breeds of terriers, but again it's still a form of a terrier.

Are you kidding me?! My pitty is the friendliest girl you will see. She loves people and loves other dogs. She sleeps with me every night snuggling against me and loves our other dogs. She goes to a dog ranch and runs and plays with other big breeds. Her original owner would hose her and hit her but we adopted her when he got evicted. I hope you are trolling because if not then you are extremely ignorant to think a gene can code for natural aggression. Humans have bred dogs to be loving towards people but you always still have those that outright don't like people or dogs.

Just because evil human beings raise them to be aggressive solely because of their natural morphology (muscular and powerful) DOES NOT logically follow that the breed is genetically aggressive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm positive that there are people that feel that way, but in the now couple decades that pits have been stigmatized, only 1 town that I am aware of has outright banned them. And they at least gave people time to either move with their dogs or give the dogs away to people in other towns. Until I see Justin Trudeau or Obama/Trump calling for the eradication of pitbulls, I think pit owners are safe for the time being, vicious and non vicious alike.
    I hear ya. But the signs of intolerance are growing.

Now-a-days you can find that renters will prohibit the ownership of specifically pitbulls. If you own one, some insurance companies will charge you higher home owners rates.

The breed is definitely singled out above others. We may not be concerned with an extinction now, but I wouldn't be shocked to here mutterings of it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawnix View Post
    Are you kidding me?! My pitty is the friendliest girl you will see. She loves people and loves other dogs. She sleeps with me every night snuggling against me and loves our other dogs. She goes to a dog ranch and runs and plays with other big breeds. Her original owner would hose her and hit her but we adopted her when he got evicted. I hope you are trolling because if not then you are extremely ignorant to think a gene can code for natural aggression. Humans have bred dogs to be loving towards people but you always still have those that outright don't like people or dogs.

Just because evil human beings raise them to be aggressive solely because of their natural morphology (muscular and powerful) DOES NOT logically follow that the breed is genetically aggressive.
    Not an argument, the OP wants to avoid anecdotal stories.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Despite my posts, don't get me wrong: pit breeds have the capacity to maim and kill like few other common breeds. This is true, and for that reason it is a good idea to be careful around any pit until you have the chance to ascertain its mood and demeanor. But I have to state again that they are not genetically violent. It is always, always either the person not understanding dog language or the owner abusing/mistreating the dog.
    This is the same discrimination as the OP, really.. Thinking that all the pit breeds involved in accidents is from a ghetto criminal, dog fighting trainer or irresponsible owner, which is completely untrue. Most of the attacks that occurred were from responsible owners, that exercise their dog well, have them socialize and have not shown any sign of aggressivity.

Best way to know if they are genetically violent, would be to have a bunch of different races free in the wild and see how each of them react after contact with humans.
    Last edited by Mikah; 2016-12-08 at 05:27 PM.

Things can be changed. I'd be more inclined to correct the breed, than to watch it become extinct because people fear it.
    That's true, but first people need to understand there is indeed a problem with these breeds, and as you can see here most of them are like "neah, I know some pitbulls, they are the nicest dogs eva" lol

7+ Year Old Account
    http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-do...-faq.php#media

Q: Why do people say, "Pit bulls are dog-aggressive not human-aggressive?"

Due to selective breeding for the purposes of dogfighting, pit bulls are highly dog-aggressive. This aggression is not limited to dogs; pit bulls frequently kill other companion pets and domesticated animals. Leading pit bull education websites warn pit bull owners to, "Never trust your pit bull not to fight." These same websites also state that pit bulls should never be left alone with another dog or animal.20 The practical and moral question is: Why is "pit bull dog aggression" tolerated at all?
    Pit bull dog aggression is unacceptable for two reasons. In many instances it leads to human aggression. A common scenario is the following: A loose pit bull attacks a leashed dog being walked by its owner. The owner gets seriously injured trying to stop the attack. Every year, one or more Americans suffers death due to pit bull dog aggression, including pit bull rescuers like Rita Woodard and Mary Jo Hunt who died while attempting to break up a fight between their pit bulls.
    Secondly, far too many beloved companion pets and domesticated animals suffer a violent death by the powerful jaws of pit bull terriers each year. In some instances, these attacks involve pit bulls charging through screen doors of private homes -- in a home invasion attack -- to kill the pet living inside.21 Owners of the pet are then forced to watch as their dog or cat is disemboweled by the pit bull and pray that the animal does not turn its attention on an innocent family member next.