Page 59 of 101 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The thing a lot of people aren't realizing about the neck is it isn't "just 40k hps". It's a 1M+ shield every 30 seconds which is very different. That means you can plan for that huge shield consistently every half a minute and play around that with your defensives. If it just gave you 40k shielding per second it wouldn't be nearly as good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diachroniko View Post
    The thing a lot of people aren't realizing about the neck is it isn't "just 40k hps". It's a 1M+ shield every 30 seconds which is very different. That means you can plan for that huge shield consistently every half a minute and play around that with your defensives. If it just gave you 40k shielding per second it wouldn't be nearly as good.
    Exactly--it's predictable "burst" healing (since the entire shield happens at once). Burst healing that is either controllable or predictable is much more valuable than dribs and drabs of small healing constantly. It's basically one more powerful cooldown.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Prydaz is really top on ptr. However, what about the second leg? Tried leech ring, well can't say that it is really great. Wanted to try shoulders, unfortunately, proc morphs didn't trigger spikes for me.

I'd honestly rather have the >85% health damage boost belt, new Fiery Brand legendary, or the new trinket than the Leech ring at this point. Tank dps doesn't seem to be scaling well at all and I've gone up maybe 40-60k single target since hitting 110 (so much for that 80% of a DPSer's damage we were promised again). A legendary to improve my DPS and give me a similar benefit to the leech ring would be welcome--especially considering the hardest content I do is M+ dungeons. I miss MoP...

Deleted
    so far, it seems changes on ptr are really good on us, how will us perform on hard hitting content like high level mythics and mythic raids compared to other tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Varamar View Post
    so far, it seems changes on ptr are really good on us, how will us perform on hard hitting content like high level mythics and mythic raids compared to other tanks?
    Won't know until after all the tuning is done. I can say that we are in a much better place than live.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkky View Post
    Won't know until after all the tuning is done. I can say that we are in a much better place than live.
    However as of right now someone must have tested and compared on ptr.

I'm glad we will be much better, but It would be sad if we're still bottom tier tanks.

Are we? /10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I thought monks were the shit-tier tanks. I haven't had any issues doing +12's personally. And Varamar, I'm fairly sure Munkky has been on the PTR and tested out how we are, but how we are can change fairly drastically between now and the patch launching

- - - Updated - - -

Also, got my second legendary today. I got everyone's favourite shoulders!

Yaaay

I haven't tested the other tanks, only DH. Monks are the sleeper tanks right now. They are arguably the best ( or top tier) for burst damage reduction, and aren't terrible for sustained. They just havea higher gear/skill requirement. iirc Tank Chat has them listed as 3rd in the tank rankings.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's.. actually surprising. I've seen literally 0 monk tanks in Legion so far. Granted I tank most of the stuff I do, but in the ~5 days played on my alts I should've seen at least one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    That's.. actually surprising. I've seen literally 0 monk tanks in Legion so far. Granted I tank most of the stuff I do, but in the ~5 days played on my alts I should've seen at least one.
    That's more of a perceptions issue than a power issue. Monks got branded early as "shit tier" because they're not amazing at preventing damage compared to other tanks, but their unique ability to remove the danger level from burst damage (if played well) makes a skilled Brewmaster an excellent tank. It's the burst damage periods that account for tank deaths most of the time, and that's where monks excel. The rest of the time, they'll take more damage and be harder to top off, but those times are a lot less important.

The "more damage taken" is also a perception issue in a way. Yes, they take more damage, but they also receive more healing in two ways: the passive Celestial Fortune "You have a chance equal to your critical strike chance to be healed for an additional 65% of the amount healed." and the fact that since stagger is steadily ticking, they are often overhealed a noticeable amount less than other tanks.

In the end of the day the actual external healing required Monks have is not much higher than what other tanks have.
    Quote Originally Posted by a wiser man
    Tanking should not exist just to let healers and dps have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coramac
    If a monk has 200k DTPS and 200k HPS in hots on him, does anyone hear when he purifies?
    WeakAura sets with Rotation Helpers: Vengeance - Brewmaster

ARMORY - ARMORY
    <Ninjapartio>

Aye, between the early stigma and the fact that Bears and pally are so far ahead of the other tanks power wise is what makes the numbers lower. Just because they are pretty good doesn't mean people will flock to them immediately. Also there is the caveat of what I said, "They require gear and a higher skill cap". Which the general populace won't have either. They are arguably the best scaling tank and will most likely see a rise in representation come Nighthold or Tomb (pending balancing passes).

Scaling being they are pretty shit early on, but they get better with gear faster than other classes.

Aye, between the early stigma and the fact that Bears and pally are so far ahead of the other tanks power wise is what makes the numbers lower. Just because they are pretty good doesn't mean people will flock to them immediately. Also there is the caveat of what I said, "They require gear and a higher skill cap". Which the general populace won't have either. They are arguably the best scaling tank and will most likely see a rise in representation come Nighthold or Tomb (pending balancing passes).

Scaling being they are pretty shit early on, but they get better with gear faster than other classes.
    It was an interesting comment Ion made about monk tanks. He said that they have a dilemma with them because they know for a fact that Monks are borderline OP when played by the top players in the world but they are not popular because of a perception problem they have as well as the lesser skill of the general population. But if they buffed them without changing their mechanics to the point that the average player would think that they are "good" that would leave them absolutely broken OP in the hands of the top players. So they're not quite sure what to deal with them when community perception is so against their internal balancing which shows them extremely powerful when played the "right way"

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a huge amount here, but a little bit about Last Resort from game designer Sigma in a longer post about Cheat Death mechanics from a rogue thread:

To say a bit more on the 7.1.5 changes to various “cheat death” effects, including Cheat Death, Cauterize, Purgatory, and Last Resort: firstly, the cooldown increase is not the only change—the cooldowns (specifically, the cooldown-enforcing debuffs) will now clear on death.
    On Last Resort in particular, we are aware that Vengeance Demon Hunters felt somewhat reliant on this to avoid deaths to unexpected burst damage, and we will be monitoring whether they need other changes to compensate (for example, they have increased health on PTR, increased baseline damage reduction, and a stronger Metamorphosis effect).

Oh Shit, so what your telling me is that everyone who used Last Resort actually got us buffed??? #win

Also the Last Resort clear on wipe is in already.
    Last edited by Munkky; 2016-12-10 at 12:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love that response. "huh, This tank spec really dislikes taking huge bursts of damage so they gravitate towards cheat death.. Let's just buff the shit out of them"

And LR wiping might be in the game for raids, but in m+ it doesn't reset on death, meaning you can do a pull you just failed on (enough to die) without the security of LR.

Deleted
    Oh Shit, so what your telling me is that everyone who used Last Resort actually got us buffed??? #win

Also the Last Resort clear on wipe is in already.
    You're welcome!

[emoji14]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Nerfs incoming, since we're invulnerable to ganks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7NnCpJodUQ

Edit: I don't believe they will make trash pull deaths reset LR. Anything that resets Heroism will prolly also reset cheat deaths.
    Last edited by redfella; 2016-12-10 at 08:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by a wiser man
    Tanking should not exist just to let healers and dps have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coramac
    If a monk has 200k DTPS and 200k HPS in hots on him, does anyone hear when he purifies?
    WeakAura sets with Rotation Helpers: Vengeance - Brewmaster

ARMORY - ARMORY
    <Ninjapartio>