Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    So, anything short of 'killing us all' is fine? Again, how much harm caused by man-made climate change do you think is okay?
    Personally i think it's not going to harm us but to say it might not have some side effects would be reckless although the more CO2 put out, the more the plants take in which cause them to grow. Overall, Climate change happens all the time, earth heats up and cools down. To say "Man-Made" Climate change is going to lead us to harming our planet to death is just crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Some good news:
    1. Unless congress chooses to subsidize coal and I mean IN A HUGE way it is not coming back. Nat gas is too cheap
    2. Not a damn thing stopping any of you from divesting your 401k's from oil stocks
    3. Nothing stopping any of you from recycling or using less power
    4. If you own a house look into solar as guarantee Republicans will go after solar tax credits
    5. make your next car a Prius, Hybrid, or Electric
    Don't have a 401k, a car or a house.. so yee...

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I'll play the devil's advocate: Climate change is bullshit/non-man-made.

Ok, why do we still want to pollute our air and waters?
    So then we need to ban GMOs right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I'll play the devil's advocate: Climate change is bullshit/non-man-made.

Ok, why do we still want to pollute our air and waters?
    Its ok man. Republicans explain it like this:

We humans are so insignificant that we can't possibly have any effect on the Earth because the Earth was created by god and only he can change the Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadeslol View Post
    Personally i think it's not going to harm us but to say it might not have some side effects would be reckless although the more CO2 put out, the more the plants take in which cause them to grow. Overall, Climate change happens all the time, earth heats up and cools down. To say "Man-Made" Climate change is going to lead us to harming our planet to death is just crazy.
    https://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-plant-food.htm

More CO2 is not 100% a good thing for plants. They need other resources too, and in some cases excess CO2 is actually harmful. Any benefit produced by added greenhouse gases would be far outweighed by the negatives.

You say that man-made climate change will not hurt us. Why? And please stop with the 'killing us all/harming our planet to death' strawman.

since the divine right of kings doesn't work anymore to keep you poor and control you they came up with climate change

They fly around in their jets while maintaining 5+ mansions while docking several massive yachts and then turn around and tell the masses

"You can't have air conditioning"

They have made claim after claim about what would happen in "insert year here" due to this climate thing and look for every reason on earth to blame it on human activity

Is change happening? Of course it is but humans aren't the cause

Should we take care of the environment? Of course we should but we don't all need to be poor, blue hair dyed SJWs following the state propaganda on why we are bad for the planet to make it happen, we need innovation

Innovation does not come from carbon tax and a bunch of unelected global entities regulating you into a bottomless pit while they are above it all

Wake the FUCK up lol

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Without anyone accelerating the process, the natural changes are very slow.
    Not what I asked.

I get what everyone else is saying, but I'm feeling rather devil's advocate-ish today.
    What I'm nitpicking about is that the phrase "97% of scientists agree humans cause climate change" is an erroneous statement, and what should be said is "97% of scientists agree humans contribute to climate change."

Quote Originally Posted by Zolaris192 View Post
    since the divine right of kings doesn't work anymore to keep you poor and control you they came up with climate change

They fly around in their jets while maintaining 5+ mansions while docking several massive yachts and then turn around and tell the masses

They have made claim after claim about what would happen in "insert year here" due to this climate thing and look for every reason on earth to blame it on human activity

Should we take care of the environment? Of course we should but we don't all need to be poor, blue hair dyed SJWs following the state propaganda on why we are bad for the planet to make it happen, we need innovation

Innovation does not come from carbon tax and a bunch of unelected global entities regulating you into a bottomless pit while they are above it all

Wake the FUCK up lol
    LOL! are you for real? this is full conspiracy theory, globalist/evil jews mode!
    and even then, you dont even know that people try to change air conditioners to use water instead of CFCs

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Not what I asked.

I get what everyone else is saying, but I'm feeling rather devil's advocate-ish today.
    What I'm nitpicking about is that the phrase "97% of scientists agree humans cause climate change" is an erroneous statement, and what should be said is "97% of scientists agree humans contribute to climate change."
    i think it's better read as "97% of peer reviewed papers that were published by the scientific community agree that humans contribute in a significant way on the current climate change problem". i'm not so sure if the 97% are the scientists themselves or the papers published, but i think its the second
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2016-12-08 at 08:02 PM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Zolaris192 View Post

Wake the FUCK up lol
    Then what is the cause of this unusually severe climate change that began about the same time as the Industrial Revolution and has not been found to happen to a similar degree in the past 22000 years? Please tell me, because I am insufficiently woke.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinaux View Post
    A theory is a model that explains natural phenomena. It is a set of principles that have undergone scientific rigor. While the validity of a theory can still be challenged it often has to be an extension within the theory, unless a separate model can equally well predict and explain natural phenomena.

Theory is the preferred word among scientists versus the use of, for example, law. It was once believed that science was uncovering the natural incontrovertible truths of the world and hence our theories became natural law, but it became apparent that laws aren't foolproof. Law is still used (like the Hubble law) but it's virtually indistinguishable from theory.
    Well, no, that's not what a scientific law is at all. A law is pretty much just an observational model of what happens in a given situation. The Law of Gravity describes to what degree masses are attracted to each other; it doesn't cover the how or why, just the what. There is also a Theory of Gravity, which was shaken up with the proven discovery of gravity waves this year. They're two completely different things.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-plant-food.htm

More CO2 is not 100% a good thing for plants. They need other resources too, and in some cases excess CO2 is actually harmful. Any benefit produced by added greenhouse gases would be far outweighed by the negatives.

You say that man-made climate change will not hurt us. Why? And please stop with the 'killing us all/harming our planet to death' strawman.
    Well 1) i'm not dissing your source but i can link

http://www.plantsneedco2.org/default...menuitemid=325
    http://www.climatecentral.org/news/s...els-rise-16094

Because Man-Made Climate Change is just a little factor. Climate Change happens all the time but for us to control it to harm the whole planet is bs.
    I'm not using "killing us all/harming our planet to death' strawman" but when i talk to people all the time thats what they use and i disagree with that.

Now i actually havent asked you but what do u think Man-Made Climate Change will do to our planet.

Not what I asked.

Then I'll play rebellious today. I don't care what you asked, I care about you getting the answer I felt like giving!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Then what is the cause of this unusually severe climate change that began about the same time as the Industrial Revolution and has not been found to happen to a similar degree in the past 22000 years? Please tell me, because I am insufficiently woke.
    http://drtimball.com/2016/cherry-pic...imate-studies/

It was warmer in the 1300s than now

Here's a comment I saw recently in regards to this pick:

"The environment needs to be protected, no argument.
    The problem is the left have gone too far at times and spent billions on frivilous matters and won't let us drill our own coasts for oil. There are laws in place that cannot be broken by anyone.
    But those laws are in place. However, we need some reason brought back into the issue. Pollution is unacceptable, no doubt, but we needs jobs back and for the US to be as independent as possible for oil."

Can someone with more knowledge than me argue for or against the above? Sources would be nice to.

Because Man-Made Climate Change is just a little factor. Climate Change happens all the time but for us to control it to harm the whole planet is bs.
    I'm not using "killing us all/harming our planet to death' strawman" but when i talk to people all the time thats what they use and i disagree with that.

Now i actually havent asked you but what do u think Man-Made Climate Change will do to our planet.
    Well, for starters, my link did not dispute that CO2 increases plant growth, but does point out that there are multiple negative consequences to excess CO2 as well. And you've included the 'man made climate change killing us all' strawman in almost every single post you've made here.

But if we continue as we are and no effort is made to correct man-made climate change? In the long run, we'll see mass extinctions, huge damage to coastal areas, droughts leading to famine, migrations and refugees that make Syria look like a walk in the park, and probably the collapse of global markets. That could take a few hundred years, true, but that's the inevitable destination if temperatures keep rising.

10+ Year Old Account

I can't speak for the whole world, but just in the US 40% of the population lives in counties on a coast, at sea level.

Sea levels are rising.

Quote Originally Posted by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
    Global sea level has been rising at an increasing rate since the 20th century. Analysis of a global network of tide gauge records shows that sea level has been rising at the rate of about 0.6 inches per decade since 1900. Since 1992, satellite altimeters indicate that the rate of rise has increased to 1.2 inches per decade—a significantly larger rate than at any other time over the last 2000 years. In the next several decades, continued sea level rise and land subsidence will cause tidal flood frequencies to rapidly increase due to typical storm surges and high tides in many coastal regions.

The two major causes of global sea-level rise are thermal expansion caused by warming of the oceans (since water expands as it warms) and the loss of land-based ice, such as glaciers and ice sheets, due to increased melting. The oceans are absorbing more than 90% of the increased atmospheric heat associated with emissions from human activity.

With continued ocean and atmospheric warming, sea levels will likely rise for many centuries at rates higher than that of the current century. In the United States, almost 40% of the population lives in relatively high-population-density coastal areas, where sea level plays a role in flooding, shoreline erosion, and hazards from storms. Globally, eight of the world's 10 largest cities are near a coast, according to the U.N. Atlas of the Oceans.
    And now you tell me how NOAA is part of the Global Warming Conspiracy Cabal hellbent on destroying capitalism or whatever you people believe.

Not what I asked.

You should watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwviDPo4Rh4

@ 2:35 to 5:00

Goes over 97%

15+ Year Old Account
    3) You don't believe in the first amendment. If you open your mouth, be able to take it else don't open it.
    At what point does Trump's temper tantrums stop being first amendment rights and begin venturing into the realm of his speech harming others? We've already seen what his tweets can do to businesses. He's the most powerful man in the country, and with less than 140 words he can dramatically change how people view a business, and cause permanent harm.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Njtobknets View Post
    Here's a comment I saw recently in regards to this pick:

"The environment needs to be protected, no argument.
    The problem is the left have gone too far at times and spent billions on frivilous matters and won't let us drill our own coasts for oil. There are laws in place that cannot be broken by anyone.
    But those laws are in place. However, we need some reason brought back into the issue. Pollution is unacceptable, no doubt, but we needs jobs back and for the US to be as independent as possible for oil."

Can someone with more knowledge than me argue for or against the above? Sources would be nice to.
    It's nonsense. I'll simplify it:

"the environment needs to be protected, BUT we want more money from drilling oil, so screw it"
    "pollution is unacceptable, BUT we want more money from sources that do pollute, so screw it"

There it is. I removed all the nonsensical double talk, and left the real points up. The first part of both is just to appear like they care, but the real motive is in the italics, which overwrites any pretense of caring.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2016-12-08 at 08:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

8349203485703285930248023 scientists think climate change is real and caused by human activity.

Scott Pruitt doesn't.

Well Trump definitely likes to pick the underdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Don't have a 401k, a car or a house.. so yee...
    Corporations spend a lot of time trying to convince normal people they have no power. Where you spend your money can force companies to adjust. Majority of companies are already bending over to try and accommodate Millennials and get our business.