Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Youn View Post
    So, you think 18,650 murders caused by Mexicans is justifiable? You don't think they need to be sterilized? Your talking about genocide of a breed of dog because they caused 34 deaths last year.
    Christ if you cant see the difference between HUMANS and a dog breed.....you are not really worth talking to.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    It should be noted Tigers kill 85 people each year. We aren't trying to exterminate them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Christ if you cant see the difference between HUMANS and a dog breed.....you are not really worth talking to.
    I can see the difference between them. I am pointing out that forced sterilization of a race is genocide. And that handling of an animal in a stupid manner can get you hurt no matter the animal. I have a 35 pound basenji if you handled incorrectly could seriously injure an adult human. If left with a child that attempted to mistreat it he could kill that child. Now, having said that, we don't let him near children.

It should be noted Tigers kill 85 people each year. We aren't trying to exterminate them.

- - - Updated - - -

I can see the difference between them. I am pointing out that forced sterilization of a race is genocide. And that handling of an animal in a stupid manner can get you hurt no matter the animal. I have a 35 pound basenji if you handled incorrectly could seriously injure an adult human. If left with a child that attempted to mistreat it he could kill that child. Now, having said that, we don't let him near children.

No it isnt.

Dogs are not people.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    ::Sigh::

The extinction of a species, if that definition better suits your mind.

We wouldn't do it with the more dangerous tigers, lions or wolves in the world. Why would we do it with a breed of dog?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    "You can't train a cottontail to be a hunter"

More or less sums up my stance. I believe, genetically, they have the ability to be lethal murderous death machines. No matter how mean a bunny is, it'll never be a threat. Even a moderately bad dog can kill you.

That said, I don't believe pitbulls have a predisposition to violence or aggression. They can be sweet loving beasts just like all dogs. But, biologically, they are also one of they most deadly and dangerous. That's where their bad reputation comes from, bad raising/ownership, not a bad breed.

You're just not going to be scared of a 10 pound dog who behaves as badly and is as aggressive as a 60 pound pitbull.
    Genetically, only if they come from a line where aggression was specifically selected for breeding purposes. Otherwise we tend to exaggerate the tendencies of particular breeds. You breed two docile pitts, your chances of getting a docile one are higher than an aggressive on. That's how we domesticated dogs in the first place.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Are humans genetically violent or by upbringing? They commit far more then 34 murders per year.
    It's both. Human behavior is a combination of genetics and environment. We don't really selectively breed, though...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    You are the human, you need to give him more healthy treats.
    But THOSE EYES, Kryos. THOSE EYES. You haven't seen THOSE EYES.

._. I'm a huge wimp.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    But THOSE EYES, Kryos. THOSE EYES. You haven't seen THOSE EYES.

._. I'm a huge wimp.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with adding anti-inflammatory oils to their diet and a treat now and then. I don't buy my dog milkbones, I just give her real food as treats (cheese/meat/fish).

Dogs survived off of eating human scraps for thousands of years, a treat or two isn't going to hurt them.

You know if you think about it, most bad dogs are accompanied by bad owners.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakins View Post
    Have you ever been around a pit bull? I don't think you've ever been around a pit bull.
    "You've totally never been around Pits. My Big boy wouldn't hurt a fly!"

Kills owner some time later.

But no, i'm sure it isn't the breed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I think they haven't been trained at all, actually. And a large number of them (possibly even a majority) aren't spayed or neutered. Intact male dogs make up the bulk of attack reports.
    You know what you're right about the fact most likely aren't trained at all and that's the fucking problem. You can get a chihuahua, Pom, or golden retriever and never worry about training them and there won't be a huge risk of them murdering a child if a child mishandles it. Also the only intact Pits you see are the ones that people left intact because they want them to be aggressive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    The only ones here who brought statistics and facts are those who defend the pitbull. All you have is fear and no facts.
    Show some solid facts that prove that Pit Bulls are attacking humans more often than other dog breeds.
    Pitbulls are breed to fight other dogs, not to attack humans. They are extremely loyal to humans, but I wouldn't let a pit play with another dog without supervision.

- - - Updated - - -

It's almost as if people with pit bulls are triggered by this topic to add some data and facts.
    Since you asked so kindly. Here's a few things from one website that pops up instantly when you google for facts. Which you could do too FYI. http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...ities-2015.php

34 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2015. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 700 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 82% (28) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6.6% of the total U.S. dog population.2
    How about the fact that of all vicious dog attacks pit bulls are responsible for over half yet they're only 6% of the dog population?

http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/10-year-...ogsbiteorg.pdf there's this too

But I'm sure my sources don't count for some reason or another. Better get sources from the Pit Bull foundation that gets donations to keep Pit Bull attacks out of press.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Then don't get mauled by one? Instead of a pitbull (they are awesome dogs by the way) get a cat, like bobcat or a Savannah cat!
    Holy fucking shit did you seriously just say "so don't get mauled by one"? Why don't you go tell the little girls who were under six and lost their face that? That's almost as bad as telling a gunshot victim that he shouldn't have got shot. I was going to post pictures of some legit Pit Bull victims here but I don't want to exploit their suffering to win an argument. You should do a google image on Pit Bull victims and tell me what you think.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the consensus of the EXPERTS on the topic, and not some random joes on the internet :

There is no proof that pitbulls are more agressive than other breeds. The stats being pulled out, by both sides, are fabricated/cherry picked. The truth is that there are not any worthwhile studies on the subject because there's not really any monetary benefits to doing so.

The studies that do exist look at statistics from hospitals and are thus highly biased for several reasons :

Pitbulls are big dogs, which means that bites from them are going to be more harmful than smaller dogs. Thus, even though most vets will tell you that smaller dogs are far more vicious than bigger dogs (including pit bulls), they're going to be under-represented in hospital statistics as a bite from them will not get you to go to the hospital.

The statistics base the breed of the dogs on reports from the people that got bit. This is a big problem because even animal EXPERTS (vets, vet techs) cannot reliably tell the breed of a dog (they'll be wrong 30-50 % of the time). Imagine a random Joe that gets bit. The other problem is that Pit bulls have a very negative image thanks to the media, so people have a big bias towards imagining the dog that bit them is a pit bull.

Pit bulls are not a breed. They're a group of several random breeds based on their PHENOTYPES. Most of the dogs grouped in the pit bull "breed" have no genetic connections. Blaming their behavior on genetics makes no sense.

Even when all of this is considered, pit bulls are still NOT overly represented in the few studies that exist, even though all odds are against them and those studies are flawed. In fact, they're very rarely near the top of the lists.

Another thing to note is that breed-specific laws have existed for decades and have all proven to be useless at protecting the population. Many countries/states have lifted the ban. When you ban pit bulls in an area, those pit bulls are replaced by equal-sized dogs and the bites are simply committed by those other dogs.

Again, there exists no proof that pit bulls are more agressive than other dogs. Science. This is not debatable with "opinions".

In my personal experience, pit bulls are some of the sweetest dogs around. Small dogs tend to be extremely vicious, but no one cares since their bites are not as dangerous those of bigger dogs.
    Last edited by Synbios; 2016-12-09 at 05:43 AM.

Like many have said, their temperament is less aggressive than other breeds, but the problem comes with how well equipped they are to fuck shit up. That on top of the fact that it's a pretty popular breed really gives them a bad reputation. I agree that there should be regulation on breeding/adopting pit bulls, but I don't think they should be killed just because they're a pit bull. That's just cruel.

Years ago it was the same thing with German Shepards, Dobermans, and Rottweilers.

People need to realize that, despite being domesticated, dogs are still animals. The fault still lies with dog owners who think that their dog is incapable of harming them or someone else.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pit Bulls are more violent as a breed.

As much as people say things like "MINE WOULDN'T HURT A FLY!" it means jack shit over all. My Nephew got attacked recently by a Pit-mutt that the owners looked after as if it was a Child and told everyone it was placid.

My father was a Ranger and part of that required Dog Control. The amount of vicious Pits he had to put down was crazy.

I think they're like people.

Some times they can just be a bastard and have a bad temper and a good home, or have a bad home and be an angel.

Every pitbull I have personally encounter is usually very friendly. My Aunt has one and it's the sweetest dog I've ever met - It loved my little sister who was about 2 and stood guard over her the whole time they were around each other, she fell over because shes a noob and the dog tried to pick her up by the back of her shirt then licked her after she got back up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    I personally think that pitt bulls simply have violent genetics in them due to selective breeding, and no amount of care and proper upbringing is going to change genetics no matter how much people want it to.
    No, it is a fact that Pit Bulls are way less aggressive than a lot of other breeds. The problem for pit bulls is they are a lot bigger and stronger than the other breeds so when they do attack they do significant damage. Every pit bull I have seen including my own defends its home from outsiders and perceived threats. Lot's of dogs have issues with children as well so when a pit attacks a kid it's not going to end well for the child. There have been studies to prove pit bulls are not generally as aggressive as many other breeds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    Pit Bulls are more violent as a breed.

As much as people say things like "MINE WOULDN'T HURT A FLY!" it means jack shit over all. My Nephew got attacked recently by a Pit-mutt that the owners looked after as if it was a Child and told everyone it was placid.
    Again you are statistically incorrect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Yes, I have. The dogs are generally more aggressive than other dog breeds even when not abused or mistreated.
    Your ignorance is unreal, I've owned at least 50 dogs in the last 10 years from mating and hunting. Many of them pitbull, they are extremely obedient dogs and not aggressive at all. Pits are very strong and their playing can easily be mistaken for aggressive nature and take a bad turn from people who do not know how to be calm and carry themselves around dogs.

Worst dogs I have ever owned were labs, fucking pissy assholes for dogs. I've been bitten and maimed by more labs and retriever breeds than any of my pits or rottweilers.

I have two 130 lb. Rottweilers at the foot of my bed that are scared of doorbells and phone ring tones. They are trained to be oversized , obedient, lapdog. And in my barn are a dozen pit breeds raised to kill hogs, all of which I've sold puppies from the same litters and have all become good house dogs. 9/10 times, it is about the owner and raising of the animal. Not natural aggression.

also, you people will fight over anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    This is another example of you placing your opinion over fact.

Pits and related breeds are not inherently more violent due to genetics. The issue is a combination of: people breeding them for fighting/defense, people not understanding that despite their peaceful nature, they are powerful dogs that can kill, and three, morons who think saying hi to a dog is thrusting their hand in its face.

None of that is genetic and all of that is social.
    Yet you have just given your opinion as fact.

Pit Bulls genetics do make them more prone to violence. How ever that can be over come with the right upbringing and proper training and if brought up correctly make fantastic pets. Here is where things get interesting. The show bloodline of English Pit Bulls are less prone to violence than the fighting bloodlines. In fact you are 40% more likely to be bitten by a dog from a fighting bloodline.
    Last edited by Ginantonicus; 2016-12-09 at 05:09 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would trust my Pit Bull with another person over my Basenji any day. One is a playful 105lb dog that loves to chase sticks, balls and toys. The other is a 35lb small breed that would bite and snap at you if you attempted to pick him up.

All 4 of my dogs are rescue dogs. All four came from homes of people that either abandoned them or died.