Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    LGBTQQ2S

Holy shit, that accronym is getting longer and longer every month >_>
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It was LGBTQ&A last week. I think they just add random letters on after the T.
    I just go with QUILTBAG, that's easy to remember and most of the letters match.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a feeling we're not getting the whole story here.

That being said, when you're an educator you have a duty to keep your ignorant, harmful "opinions" to yourself. Sounds like his backwards personal beliefs got in the way of doing the job he was hired for and paid to do.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I just go with QUILTBAG, that's easy to remember and most of the letters match.
    And it is also practical for storing your duvet in the summer months.

LGBTQQ2S?

That's almost as ridiculous as this teacher's firing.

I believe the point of education is not making sure we only meet opinions and worldviews that match our own. Quite the opposite, in fact. I also had civics classes back at high school and we fucking spoke up if we disagreed on something. That girl is a despicable wuss, ready to ruin a career over a difference in opinion. We all have - or maybe we should all have - the right to form, hold and profess our own opinions.

For the record, I think abortion is wrong and should be avoided whenever possible. Yet I still believe women should have the right and the law should protect that right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I have a feeling we're not getting the whole story here.

That being said, when you're an educator you have a duty to keep your ignorant, harmful "opinions" to yourself. Sounds like his backwards personal beliefs got in the way of doing the job he was hired for and paid to do.
    Hmm.... Many things taught in school are just opinions, though often portrayed as facts. Your entire post comes off as opinion portrayed as fact as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    1) There is no such thing as a harmful opinion.

2) His opinion didn't get in the way of his job, it was a perfectly good example.

3) You sound like you would fit in well at that school, have you considered attending?

he apologized profusely and promised to apologize the next day to the offended student.

What the hell is going on up there?!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I thought we valued free speech. The beauty of it is that everyone can voice their opinions.

Deleted
    Education system in Holland is dominated by lefty liberals in sandals and I guess it's no different in Canada and other Western countries?

7+ Year Old Account
    While i think that he could have used another example, i still don't understand why he could not talk his way out of it. A simple explanation about why he choose to come out with an unpopular opinion to enforce his standpoint. I understand that he wants to protect his job, but he is a teacher. He should have tried to reason with the people around him instead of bowing under and just apologizing.

But again, if the school is that insane, that it will fire a teacher over a simple misconception, then i would proberly not want to be a teacher there anyway...I would atleast not feel very safe or secure.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by opher View Post
    Positives to not having free speech?
    Well, when the purges come, hopefully it won't be you!

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    You must fight the power @Tennisace
    Is there a point to trolling these threads?

15+ Year Old Account
    Would not be surprised if the various racist groups use this triggered SJW nonsense somehow.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Maybe he doesn't expect to be able to find a new job easily? Or he thinks the school would give him a poor recommendation
    I think that no matter what reason you are fired on, that it is not nice to have a "position terminated" on your CV. I hope that he finds a new and better job soon.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

He enjoys it?
    Great, so it's allowed because he enjoys it? It's still trolling and very old at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

How do you feel about this? Are you okay with teachers getting fired over their opinions?

I guess we must all adjust to this new world eh?
    No, that is literally the opposite of what we should do.

7+ Year Old Account
    It depends tbh. Personally I've ignored people being terminated from certain companies when I was checking their CVs because I knew those companies and considered their HR practices hideous. But if the teacher feels that the general sentiment in Canadian education is that any hint of non-PC behaviour makes you unhireable I understand his response.

- - - Updated - - -

He does not spam the topic continuously. In essence he creates an expected response. It is the kind of behaviour that creates a community, however dysfunctional
    Now, i have never been to Canada nor experience their education culture, but from what i hear people say and what i see on several news site, this PC culure seems like a pretty popular thing over there. Getting a note on your CV saying that you made students "uncomfertable" might be enough to put you in the bottom of the pile.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Don't blame me. I'm against hate speech not opinions.
    And when they censor you for your 'hatespeech' then you will have a problem right...

In 10 years time you will look back at your regressive and backwards view on the world and realise you were wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Out of all the examples that exist in the world the teacher chose to share his belief on abortion. Seems like a clear example of someone with a small pulpit using it to push their opinions. You'd never convince me that he didn't plan it ahead of time.
    Utter bullshit.

He was teaching about law and he INTENTIONALLY chose a controversial issue to explain his point. This is called good teaching. Anyone who thinks different is a regressive stain on society and needs to grow up.

All things considered it is a private school, and while I do think private schools are shit, they get to make their own rules.

School is supposed to be a place where you can flex your critical thinking muscles. I think it's a good thing for teachers to challenge kids on their beliefs. Chances are they haven't thought much of it themselves but have only received a biased view of it from family or friends. Of course it's important that teachers facilitate a space that allows for discussion instead of arguing. And they should try to be as impartial as possible so not to sway kids either way. This is a perfect world scenario.

Again, I think private schools (especially ones like this) are garbage because they play on one side of the fence. That doesn't prepare kids for the real world. If this girl reacted the way she did then she is going to have a horrible time adjusting to adulthood. If a child's reaction to someone disagreeing with them is to run and cry to an authority, then someone fucked up raising them.

If someone feels uncomfortable with the topic of discussion, they should ask to change the subject, or they should be allowed to excuse themselves. There's no reason to throw a temper tantrum.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.