Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhoof View Post
    This movie clearly paints white males only in a bad light.
    Yes, they use white males becuse they can have rolles who paint them in bad light (or have them truly fail) widout much controversy. But if you cast a non white male or a woman you cant paint them in a bad light (or have them truly fail) becuse it will cause great controversy.

To doge maximum of controversy Holliwood use white males as villains. Its all about money.....

Imagen how SJW would go berserk, if all first order high ranked caracters where black women insted of white males.

God i miss the days when i didnt give a flying fuck about any of this

Back when i grew up on awesome 80s movies where the only thing i cared about was how much did the lead character kick ass and how awesome those space ships was

PEW PEW PEW

But thanks to the heroin that is internet forums here iam typing this out

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Yes, they use white males becuse they can have rolles who paint them in bad light (or have them truly fail) widout much controversy. But if you cast a non white male or a woman you cant paint them in a bad light (or have them truly fail) becuse it will cause great controversy.

To doge maximum of controversy Holliwood use white males as villains. Its all about money.....

Imagen how SJW would go berserk, if all first order high ranked caracters where black women insted of white males.
    You mean Phasma. True enough, she's not allowed to be black. But this just shows Rogue One has infinitely worse writing than Force Awakens.

I mean hell, does anyone else find it funny the Space Arab looks like he's working on a bomb and looks exactly like a regular Arab? Or the Space Asian looks like a Samurai?

Quote Originally Posted by BrummiePride View Post
    God i miss the days when i didnt give a flying fuck about any of this

Back when i grew up on awesome 80s movies where the only thing i cared about was how much did the lead character kick ass and how awesome those space ships was

PEW PEW PEW

But thanks to the heroin that is internet forums here iam typing this out
    My kids are still able to enjoy star wars this way. Adults are just shit.

Deleted
    I personally don't like Star Wars at all but I heard from a colleague once that the last movie was complete shit.

The female lead was able to hold up in a fight against the major bad guy because "girlpower"

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Well make sure you make them watch the original cut so they can at least enjoy them like we did as kids.

I actually saw the originals back on the big screen (Thats how old iam!)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhoof View Post
    In the old movies white males were in both the empire and the rebellion, not shoved into one faction. It was freedom vs tyranny theme.

Now white males = empire. Rebellion good guys = non-white against the oppresive white males. You pretend white males haven't been excluded from being good guys?

The rebels cast is
    2 asians
    1 black guy
    1 arab
    1 latino

And ofc strong independent female against evil cis male patriarchy.

How do you happen to not include a SINGLE white male in the good guy team and not being intentional considering the wide presence white males have had in the many years of Hollywood. It can only have been intended.
    I wonder how blatant they were when getting actors
    "Oh you are a white male, you can't get any good guy roles, try instead one of the other roles, bad guys, which is reserved for your skin color"

I wonder wht peoples reactions would have been if all the bad guys had been non-white n all the good guys white.
    I don't even know how you come up with this stuff.. are you like.. tracking what background/race people are while watching the movie?

I suggest you stop looking for racism everywhere (too many people are of that state of mind already) and just enjoy the movie/plot whatever. You're looking for things that aren't there, and if they were there I'm confident it was unintentional. Even if it were just for the mere fact that a movie studio wouldnt risk a multi million dollar project on political statements.. if you don't trust people trust capitalism :P

Quote Originally Posted by Gombado View Post
    I don't even know how you come up with this stuff.. are you like.. tracking what background/race people are while watching the movie?
    People have eyes. Some people use them.

I suggest you stop looking for racism everywhere (too many people are of that state of mind already) and just enjoy the movie/plot whatever. You're looking for things that aren't there, and if they were there I'm confident it was unintentional. Even if it were just for the mere fact that a movie studio wouldnt risk a multi million dollar project on political statements.. if you don't trust people trust capitalism :P
    You don't think media influences peoples' view of a group of people?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Anybody with even an ounce of knowledge about the Star Wars universe knows the Empire are horribly racist against everybody who isn't a white human. Its kind of why Thrawn was such an impressive character.

Also they are incredibly obviously Nazis.
    a bit of clarification, they did have a strict Anti-NonHuman policy but they had nothing against non-white humans

obviously it is racism but the stricken part from quote above is not true

He is not 100% wrong. I'm not agreeing with him or condoning him. And yes, the Empire is a fascist, xenophobic organization.

But this is more complicated. There has been a tendency on television media for a while now to cast males and especially white males as either bumbling idiots or villains. But that is different topic.

I think the issue here is that in the past Western markets and male audiences dominated the industry, but now we are seeing a shift away from this as Western media is increasingly produced with foreign markets in mind. The inclusion of Chinese actors or themes in movies like Transformers, Independence Day or even Star Wars are done so to squeeze into the Chinese market for example and to get past Chinese censors. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I am saying it is the reality of our time.

Some in the west are starting to notice this and people like Warhoof are feeling unrepresented and outright betrayed by supposedly Western (in reality multinational) industries.

Capitalism has decide. It wants more foreign money, more female money, more minority money, more gay money etc.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    I think that's the fucked part about all of it.

These are adults unable to enjoy the movie. I mises being a kid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I don't.

At best, it reinforces preconceived notions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    He is not 100% wrong. I'm not agreeing with him or condoning him. And yes, the Empire is a fascist, xenophobic organization.

But this is more complicated. There has been a tendency on television media for a while now to cast males and especially white males as either bumbling idiots or villains. But that is different topic.

I think the issue here is that in the past Western markets and male audiences dominated the industry, but now we are seeing a shift away from this as Western media is increasingly produced with foreign markets in mind. The inclusion of Chinese actors or themes in movies like Transformers, Independence Day or even Star Wars are done so to squeeze into the Chinese market for example and to get past Chinese censors. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I am saying it is the reality of our time.

Some in the west are starting to notice this and people like Warhoof are feeling unrepresented and outright betrayed by supposedly Western (in reality multinational) industries.

Capitalism has decide. It wants more foreign money, more female money, more minority money, more gay money etc.
    It's not just about money, from a narrative standpoint you want your hero to be some type of underdog, taking on the big bad whatever and triumphing despite the odds. It's easy to sell a stuffy British guy as the oppressor and the black guy as the scrappy and determined freedom fighter, doing the opposite would create cognitive dissonance and disrupt audience immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    I don't.

At best, it reinforces preconceived notions.
    That's probably a good point - we usually use motivated reasoning/confirmation bias to support what we already believe (whether that's positive or negative about someone or ourselves). But then what's all the hullabaloo about black people being portrayed as criminals in media?

Deleted

But this is more complicated. There has been a tendency on television media for a while now to cast males and especially white males as either bumbling idiots or villains.
    The reality here is that if you have any other race as a villain those people will go just as bananas as warhoof is going now. Shouting racism and crying havoc. The end result if we keep acting on opinions like his (the everyone is a racist thing) will be distrust and a complete erosion of the terrible thing that is racism. The only way to turn this train at this point is to A. stop allowing 'hurt feelings' to dictate what we do. and B. stop having hurt feelings over nonsensical minute things.

Capitalism has decided. It wants more foreign money, more female money, more minority money, more gay money etc.
    And there is nothing wrong with that. An example of how this works is me playing the latest watch dogs, being forced into a main charecter with which I cannot self identify with will result in me never ever buying a watch dogs game again. (ill not here that its not just the race of the main character but also the thematic style and 'hip hop' groove). That doesnt mean I have to cry racism that ubisoft made a game aimed towards other markets than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    It could, but only if you allow it to. The same way we've grown accostumed to identifying and 'ignoring' commercials we'll need to learn to not take propoganda/biased media at face value. People are already doing this, resulting in alternative/new media being on the rise globally.. people are looking for the unfiltered facts, and capitalism will make it happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anybody with even an ounce of knowledge about the Star Wars universe knows the Empire are horribly racist against everybody who isn't a white human. Its kind of why Thrawn was such an impressive character.

Also they are incredibly obviously Nazis.
    But they're not. Sure the empire may be incredibly totalitarian but there were no instances of xenophobia being part of their mantra. In fact they continue to work with Alien Bounty Hunters and Criminal Organisations even after their rise to power. They're more anti-religious and freedom due to their obvious opposition to the Jedi faith and beliefs of balance and lack of emotion.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Deleted
    tweeted that the Empire is a White Supremacist (Human) organization. Which is true.
    Which isn't true. The fascistic Empire isn't necessarily also white supremacist. The Empire is human supremacist in some instances - that's different. So it's really stupid of the writer to make a point about race - note that the second tweet relating to the first is about how the rebels are "diverse" (which as we all know, means brown), suggesting that the Empire isn't racially diverse even though it is because the troopers are literally shown to be every colour. It comes off as cringey.

Also, the "protests" over TFA were way overblown by "journalists". People not going to see a movie because they don't like the casting really isn't that big of a deal.

Remember when your posts weren't total dog shit and didn't ignore all facts in favour of just taking shots at things you don't like?
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-12-09 at 12:38 PM.

I only know the movies so was the Empire really that racist to non humans?

I dont care for non canon fanwank books so with only the 7 movies was it really that racist?

I just thought the whole thing was just about some cunt who hated the good side of the force not cause he thought wookies was sub humans!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    Here's the bit, why did they have to add "White" to "Supremist" for Star Wars?
    So it would play within the current political climate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Racism is pretty central to fascist ideology, it's what separates it from garden variety totalitarianism.
    No it isn't.
    Nationalism is a core part of fascism.
    Nationalism is not the same thing as racism.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    So it would play within the current political climate.
    But the Empire are literally Nazis, why try and make it seem like White people are the problem within the Empire and not the huge facist dictatorship?