Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    UK. Radiators everywhere, typically heated by water from gas-fired boilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnaar View Post
    So I was listening to a certain podcast and the guys on it were joking around, chuckling as they mentioned radiators.

"You remember those thing? Hot water flowed through them"

I was like, wtf, we use them in Croatia, it's normal, yet they talk about it like it's the 80's or some shit

So I'm actually curious how do you guys heat your house?

Germany here, radiators are the most common form of heating in our houses. In my house we use them alongside floor heating (not together, different rooms).
    And both are heated by hot water ofc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Radiators are standard in Beijing. The apartment that I'm in has radiators with viciously efficient sheet metal fins that create columns of hot air that are deflected into the room. They keep things far too hot.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

We use radiators and floor heating in a few rooms.
    A geothermal heat pump does the job well most of the time though we can use both electricity and wood if it gets really cold.

We have an air conditioner as well that could be used to heat the house up I guess, though I haven't actually tried that yet.

Deleted
    For me: Underfloor heating throughout the entire apartment.
    Which is heated by water from gas-fired boilers too.

It's not the most direct form of heating, but it's nice to always have a cozily warm floor. :3

Well iam English who grew up in England but now live in the USA

I used to have central heating in England then we moved to radiators but then i moved to Arizona and having Heating is more or less pointless but when it does get slightly cold i use the AC to hot.

Deleted
    Most used form here in Belgium. My own appartment is heated through 6 radiators, 3 at each floor. I have a gas boiler.

I've never met someone who has floor heating, except my uncle who owns a plumbing business and did the work himself.

My parents heat through a cast-iron wood stove in winter. It's great, turns the house into a roaring furnace in no time. Does take ages to chop wood though. Whenever I visit them, my dad gives me an axe to chop some wood he got from his buddy who owns a wood processing plant. They live in Sweden though in the woods, but we had a stove in our old home in Belgium as well.
    Not really sure what else they use but I know they use a pellet heating system in winter, almost day and night I think. It can get pretty damn cold up there.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2016-12-09 at 12:40 PM.

House heating? What is that?

Different locations different heat sources.

Boilers are nice, but all around expensive to buy and install. Here in the north east we usually use propane, oil, or wood.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    My parents had a cast-iron wood stove in one of our old homes in Alaska. That thing was awesome.
    With freshly caught salmon frying on the side?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    We had a smoker for that
    Nice

/10chars

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnaar View Post
    So I was listening to a certain podcast and the guys on it were joking around, chuckling as they mentioned radiators.

"You remember those thing? Hot water flowed through them"

I was like, wtf, we use them in Croatia, it's normal, yet they talk about it like it's the 80's or some shit

So I'm actually curious how do you guys heat your house?
    a couple apartments ago my wife and I had radiators, they were fantastic.

As for how we heat our house that we live in now, we use a wood furnace and propane furnace as backup, but primarily i just cut and stack wood the year before to age and dry and use that to heat.

In much of the US, air conditioning is desirable, so it's cheapest to combine the heating and cooling systems. That means a central system with forced air. The radiator equivalent of a cooling system would have a separate air cooler in each room, but then you have problems with noise and condensation.

Expensive homes may have floor heating, where hot water coils built into the floor keep it warm. This is a nice luxury feature.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I have never lived in a flat without radiators, but they're fine, since we don't have houses made from wood around here. The air is the coolest below the windows, so it's most efficient to install them there to have a high energy transfer. Some rooms had a floor heating, but it's way more expensive for obvious reasons. I have never seen an AC around here, with the only exception of server rooms or other workplaces that tend to get very hot, which is a good thing, since they're very inefficient and the perfect environments for germs and mold.

Here in Sweden I've only ever lived in apartments/houses with radiator heating... Works like a charm! My current apartment is incredibly well isolated and high standard (rental), built in the late 90's and using radiators in every room. The radiators are quite thin and placed in such a way that they're never in the way of furniture.

I've lived in both brick and wooden houses using radiators, only had a problem with the temperature in an apartment where the landlord was trying to save expenses on heating...

south eastern US, Central system for AC and heat, heat is natural Gas. Keeping 1400 sq/ft at 60F +/- runs about 10-15.00 a month in the winter, less we get a long cold spell. I didn't even turn on my heat this year till late Nov
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Small town in Western New York State here; every house that I've lived in in the areas has used forced air.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I use infrared heat with a thermostat, it's electric and ridiculously efficient. My girlfriend and daughter refuse to dress warmly in wisconsin so the temp has to be atleast 80 inside. My electric bill during the winter is around 92$

we have a big central unit we got from a neighbor. puts out heat and air.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    My girlfriend and daughter refuse to dress warmly in wisconsin so the temp has to be atleast 80 inside. My electric bill during the winter is around 92$
    Same for me, to be honest. I want the temperature inside to always be around 75-80 °F