Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

The Momentum Megathread

Title.
    Love it or hate it, if there's any place to discuss it it's this one.

I'm pro Momentum, I'm pro Fel Rush.
    I find enjoyment in the quirk it gives to the class, and feel that's what distinguishes it from other melee dps.
    It's the leverage between good and bad, and if anything there should be more abilities and talents like these in the game, to allow for rotational mistakes and for dedication to pay off.

ill wait for the typical "i hate moving around like a fool" arguments from non momentum users, they always make me laugh

I like momentum alot. However it should not automatically be the best in that tier. It should preform on par with nemesis so we arent already nerfed on fights in Nighthold that its almost impossible to play it to its potential. It should stay as a playstyle choice, not a dps one.

"Fell deeds awake! Now for wrath; now for ruin, and the red dawn!"

Deleted
    #MoveArounds for Momentum

Kappa

Love momentum all day mates (Pliz Baseline Blizz)

Deleted
    Love it, Hate it, who cares? At the end of the day everyone will go with what they like, except Elitist Momentum players because it doesn't matter what is the best DPS spec, Momentum is best, after all, every other class have only ever played one build from vanilla.

Speaking to 7.1.5, Momentum is the go-to option for AoE and encounters in general that allow that kind of playstyle without punishing the player. Certain encounters in Nighthold will favor Nemesis because the Momentum playstyle will become too hard to be efficient with while also not dying. Experienced Demon Hunters will be switching between Momentum, Nemesis, and Fel Eurption regularly.

Deleted
    In memoriam momentum @2016

I plan on playing whatever the best talents are on any given boss or dungeon. .

I couldn't care less if that's nemesis or momentum, they're both pretty easy.

That said, momentum pulls ahead enormously any time you have more than one target. You'll continue to use momentum in mythic plus dungeons, and you'll continue to use it on any aoe and cleave fights. Nemesis will probably pull ahead on *pure* single target by the looks of things, so like two fights. Otherwise we'll be sticking with momentum. The sky has not fallen on momentum because we'll see a slight dps upgrade out of a different talent for 1-2 fights.

I think it's time for people on the DH forum to pump the brakes and cool their jets a little bit, every single time a change gets mentioned people act as if the sky is falling, and its hard to have any dialogue about what the actual changes will be.

I like having Fel Rush being part of the normal rotation, but I absolutely hate Momentum. I'd rather Fel Mastery be made baseline so Fel Rush was useful without Momentum.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I like having Fel Rush being part of the normal rotation, but I absolutely hate Momentum. I'd rather Fel Mastery be made baseline so Fel Rush was useful without Momentum.
    You don't need Fel Mastery or Momentum for Fel Rush to be used.

Deleted
    I thought Blizzard announced before that they didn't like the talent swapping for every boss, so they tried to make it so people would stick with almost the same talents through the entire raid, but if this goes LIVE with Nemesis/Momentum, it's gonna be quite annoying to swap around, I kinda liked the Momentum being used for everything even ST only CB/FB that was swapping around, but I couldn't bother to swap to FB even tho CB seems to be higher dps now with the mastery snapshot even for some cleave fights. But I really hope they just make it that both talents are good for everything, so ppl could decide if they like Momentum then they pick Momentum for everything and if they like Nemesis ppl pick that, that would make everyone happy! Also a bit dissapointed in that Fel Rush trait being removed totally, they should've added a new spell that resets fel rush or something. :P

I think they should be similar with advantages to one or the other depending on situation. Make Momo better in AOE/cleave, Nem better on a single target fight/fights with periodic cleave where you can get the 25% bonus up all the time and lastly Fel Eruption for PVP? I am still not sure how this talent falls in this row still and think it would be better placed elsewhere or replaced, short range stormbolt.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I primarily play Vengeance, but I was never much of a fan of Momentum from my brief experience with Havoc. The playstyle feels clunky to me, and I prefer the feel of Fel Rush as an opener or a distance closer - not so much an integral, repeated part of the rotation. It's perfectly fine having it be an option as a way to play, but I'd like if they could cultivate something else in the Havoc talent build that was competitive to it. It shouldn't be the only or overwhelmingly optimal way to play the spec.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    ...The playstyle feels clunky to me, and I prefer the feel of Fel Rush as an opener or a distance closer - not so much an integral, repeated part of the rotation...
    This is a good point. Personally, I open by Fel Rushing into combat...get what damage I can get in 4 secs. Vengeful Retreat... Glave... Glave... Fel Rush back. Rinse, repeat while sprinkling in Eye Beams and interrupts while in range. YMMV, but it feels fluid and keeps me engaged in the fight. Not to mention it works well on small groups and DPSing adds.

I really like Momo and Fel Rush + Retreat.... but not vs. very small hitbox bosses. I do not raid at all (only m+) and its totally obnoxious to be out of melee range all the time -.-

i would really like to see momentum as a charges-based talent rather than the 'window-of-opportunity' style it is now.
    like:

"Every time you use Fel Rush or Vengeful Retreat, you get ... Charges of 'Momentum', increasing the Damage of your next ... skills by ...% for...sec. Max ...charges "

While this might reduce the skillcap needed to perform at an average level, it would allow to use VR/FR back to back, plan ahead and bank charges during moments where rushing would be dangerous and still retain the difficulty of maintaining uptime or not capping charges if the duration and max amount of the charges are tuned accordingly.

Oh, and PLEASE any kind of second fury spender that doesn't have a cooldown would be great. something like a dot (maybe seperating TG and blootlet?).
    Having 1 spender is boring as hell, no matter what talents you use.

Other classes also have upkeep conditions regardless of talent choise.
    Even with all passive talents taken, i don't think there is another class or specc with as few role-relevant (dps, heal, tank) abilities in their core gameplay as DH (meaning abilities you could use more often than every 30ish secondsand contribute to what you should be doing)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    This is a good point. Personally, I open by Fel Rushing into combat...get what damage I can get in 4 secs. Vengeful Retreat... Glave... Glave... Fel Rush back. Rinse, repeat while sprinkling in Eye Beams and interrupts while in range. YMMV, but it feels fluid and keeps me engaged in the fight. Not to mention it works well on small groups and DPSing adds.
    Lol...auto attack damage for your first 4 seconds and a wasted Fel Rush, sounds like a plan.

#DicksOutForMomentum

Quote Originally Posted by Cuurr View Post
    Lol...auto attack damage for your first 4 seconds and a wasted Fel Rush, sounds like a plan.
    Or you know use Demon's Bite and Chaos strike... but whatever works for you

EDIT: Take Prepared instead of Demon Blades... much more fulfilling experience.
    Last edited by Lodreh; 2016-12-09 at 03:33 PM.

Not like this isnt discussed thouroughly in other threads..

But for Momentum : How fun or interresting is it to maintain a 4 second buff ?
    All specs who have had to handle short buffs for a while hate it over the expansion, and wants to get rid of them.

Tbh, this momentum buff should be made baseline so we could choose nemesis, Fel Eruption or some more interresting talent that would replace momentum.

Having all of our talents except Chaos Blades passive makes the playstyle very simple and dull.

But keeping it as it is, they could easily adjust things to make Momentum less mandatory but still an excellent choice for numbers.

Fel Rush may be a better target for adjusting the playstyle, than the Momentum.
    By only buffing demons bite and nerfing fel rush equally they would maintain average output, and make single target abit stronger and aoe slightly nerfed.
    This would also at the same time reduce the value of Momentum, and hence indirectly buff Nemesis and Fel Eruption to be more viable choices.