Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

False Memory Syndrome

I always had some sort of interest in science and how the brain works.

But this is the most interesting thing ive ever encountered:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory_syndrome

TLDR:

50% of the human population, believes in something that never occurred for them. It can be everything, but most likely something traumatic. It can also be something more positive. It can be something like you got chased by a dog and that's why you are afraid of dogs to like you been a professional hockey player(when you have never played hockey before - this was a case in one of the studies for a person).

It's about that you tell a story over and over until you believe it and the memory becomes yours. The thing here is what makes you tell yourself a lie to start of with.

Just felt like sharing
    Last edited by mmocd6fe3ee806; 2016-12-09 at 02:01 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Many politicians suffer from this awful disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very easy to explain, as I have noticed my self doing it. Some of the stories my parents tell of me before 8 y/o are things that seem like memories, but if I really think about it, I only "remember" what people tell me. I never introduce any new items to the story, but the memory matches what others tell me happened. As memory fades, the distinction of you remembering and you remembering what someone else said, gets muddled the same way all memories do.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Great example how fast you can put a false memory in someone's mind.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

What always gets me are movie scenes. Remembering in detail scenes of a movie that never happened.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Called "gaslighting."
    Term originated from an old black/white movie. (Ingrid Bergman was hot)

It's actually a bit of psychological abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Many politicians suffer from this awful disease.
    I was thinking the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else thinking of the Berenstein vs Berenstain bears?

I'm also fascinated by the human brain, and I feel like optical illusions are the best example of how to highlight just how wonky our brains really are. It doesn't even matter if you know that it's an illusion, your brain will still see the illusion as real and fall for it every time.

What I'd really like for people to takeaway from this is to never trust your brain, because it's an expert at manipulating you - it's had millions of years of evolution and your whole lifespan to figure out how best to "control" you.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No this is actually proof we live in an alt dimension to which we grew up in. There is absolutely no one who can convince me that it isn't Berenstein.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    alternate universe confirmed

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    What I'd really like for people to takeaway from this is to never trust your brain, because it's an expert at manipulating you - it's had millions of years of evolution and your whole lifespan to figure out how best to "control" you.
    Most of which is necessary. Our ability to find faces in everything is part of our unconscious skill to gauge possible threat from facial expressions. We can "see" our body parts in the dark because our mind already knows they exist, we don't need to literally see them to know they're there. Our minds purposely filter out repeat information (thus fueling a lot of movement-based optical illusions) to ensure that what we see looks smooth and complete; otherwise we'd see a large amount of noise and stuttering.

Unfortunately that also makes our brain prey to a lot of tricks: false memories, optical illusions, phantom limb syndrome, etc.

I like to run the same conversations or similar conversations in my head with someone and eventually, it feels like I've actually had that conversation and therefore never need to actually have that conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    A guy whose "dream present" is a leather jacket can most likely be easily manipulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    A guy whose "dream present" is a leather jacket can most likely be easily manipulated.
    As if good leather jackets were cheap. Wanna guess what those Matrix style jackets cost? Good ones, not fake leather ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I had this weird memory of falling down the stairs and requiring stitches on my head. It wasn't until like 5 years ago that I thought about it and realized that this could not possibly have happened as there is no trace of this in my medical history and nobody else seems to remember it.

It was probably a dream that I misinterpreted as reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    I do wonder what memories I have that are dreams. For instance, I have a very old, very, very old memory of my parents picking me up from my aunt and uncle's house and bringing me to their apartment in Chicago. What I remember of it is a huge room with a fish tank at one end, but nothing else. The memory ends.

I do know that they did indeed take us back for a short time when I was four before giving us up again. Whether or not that memory is reality or just part of the knowledge that something happened is the question. I can't really think of any others, though. The rest of my earliest memories have been substantiated by family enough to know they're real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could this election cycle be a dream?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    It's very easy to explain, as I have noticed my self doing it. Some of the stories my parents tell of me before 8 y/o are things that seem like memories, but if I really think about it, I only "remember" what people tell me. I never introduce any new items to the story, but the memory matches what others tell me happened. As memory fades, the distinction of you remembering and you remembering what someone else said, gets muddled the same way all memories do.
    Yeah, I think it happens to the very young a lot. I have some memories from when I was a toddler that everyone insists never happened.

If you listen to some people tell a story about an event, over time it will change, usually to make the story better. This new version then becomes the memory. People of all ages do this.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland