Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    I never understood all the hate for the Prometheus movie. Yes it has some corny parts with the characters just being dumb as fuck, but other than that it was a decent movie. A hell of a lot better than Alien 3, Alien 4, and the very retarded AvP movies.
    Prometheus relied way too much on stupidity in order to drive the tepid plot. Instead of being creative and convincing, we got a band of characters who shouldn't be allowed to run a grill at McDonalds let alone take part in an intergalactic mission to solve humanity's biggest question.

Had it been anyone but Lindelof attached to the script, this film would have had a lot more potential which is why I look forward to Covenant since he's nowhere to be seen. John Logan will be handling the script and, in spite of some stinkers, I have much more confidence in his ability to not make me want to facepalm my way through a movie.

To me, Prometheus is about on par with Alien 3 and miles above Ressurection and AVP/R.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2016-10-13 at 10:12 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Prometheus relied way too much on stupidity in order to drive the tepid plot. Instead of being creative and convincing, we got a band of characters who shouldn't be allowed to run a grill at McDonalds let alone take part in an intergalactic mission to solve humanity's biggest question.

Had it been anyone but Lindelof attached to the script, this film would have had a lot more potential which is why I look forward to Covenant since he's nowhere to be seen. John Logan will be handling the script and, in spite of some stinkers, I have much more confidence in his ability to not make me want to facepalm my way through a movie.

To me, Prometheus is about on par with Alien 3 and miles above Ressurection and AVP/R.
    Meh Alien 3 is criminally underrated, it just had the misfortune of following Aliens and everyone's expectation of an action movie instead of a horror movie. It had the deepest characters of any of the films. Also all the hallmarks of a David Fincher film, dark, broody, and thoughtful.

I like Scotts work because of his visuals, he's basically a glorified commercial director. When it comes to character and theme development he's completely at the mercy of his script. Watching the behind the scenes extras, Scott spends more talking on the hubcaps on prop vehicles than character motivations.

I do take some heart that John Logan contributed to the script for Covenant. Penny Dreadful was his baby for the past 3 years. It had some of the best writing on TV, standing out among so many other great shows currently out there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    I never understood all the hate for the Prometheus movie. Yes it has some corny parts with the characters just being dumb as fuck, but other than that it was a decent movie. A hell of a lot better than Alien 3, Alien 4, and the very retarded AvP movies.

So we are getting 5 movies now?

Prometheus
    Covenant
    Part 3
    Part 4

and Alien 5 with Weaver?
    A lot of my extreme dislike for this film comes from the total lack of continuity and emotional investment in any of the characters. Rapace's character has particularly traumatising looking alien excised from her, and she just doddles off with nothing more than a look of boredom on her face.

The bomb drops that Weyland (or is it Yutani? I've not seen it in ages) is still alive, and nothing! There's no 'oh my god! he's really here!' moment.

I liked the 'twist' of how the aliens came to evolve, but overall the plot was shonky as fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Meh Alien 3 is criminally underrated, it just had the misfortune of following Aliens and everyone's expectation of an action movie instead of a horror movie. It had the deepest characters of any of the films. Also all the hallmarks of a David Fincher film, dark, broody, and thoughtful.

I like Scotts work because of his visuals, he's basically a glorified commercial director. When it comes to character and theme development he's completely at the mercy of his script. Watching the behind the scenes extras, Scott spends more talking on the hubcaps on prop vehicles than character motivations.

I do take some heart that John Logan contributed to the script for Covenant. Penny Dreadful was his baby for the past 3 years. It had some of the best writing on TV, standing out among so many other great shows currently out there.
    I saw Alien 3 before I saw any of the other Alien films. Maybe 20 years ago at this point? From that, my entire frame of reference was Alien 3 and the suspense that film generated. This is why I don't personally rate Aliens as my favourite of the series. I love the original, and Alien 3 (DC even more so), but Aliens is just another action film to me.

It's a good one, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's as good as the other two at being 'Alien' films.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alien 3 isn't bad as a whole and I can watch it without rolling my eyes like I constantly do with Prometheus, Resurrection and AVP/R but every time I watch it I have to get all pissy about how they just killed off Hicks, Newt, and Bishop. 22 years later and I am still salty as hell. I think Cameron said it best when he said it was a slap in the face to him and the fans.

Overall, I'd probably put my rating as Aliens >= Alien > Alien 3 > Prometheus and the rest can fight it out in the outhouse. The worst thing about Prometheus is that there's a good movie buried in that janky mess had they stuck with Jon Spaihts' script. I'd be willing to bet that every single "WTF" scene can be traced back to the Lindelof rewrite.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2016-10-14 at 01:28 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

I honestly think that Alien 3 is one of the better Alien films. The problem is, most people going into it expected Aliens (action), not more Alien (suspense). I genuinely want Fincher to go back and make the film he would've made if he'd been given the time and space to do it properly.

http://www.tor.com/2012/06/06/alien-...nting-failure/

...Fincher had to begin filming with an incomplete script, several million dollars over-budget and several weeks behind schedule. Cast members said there were more producers on set than actors on any given day. And the script was made up as filming went along, by a director who had actors repeat scenes twenty times or more before being satisfied with a take.

Things became so contentious between Fincher and Fox that the director left the production before final editing began and has since disowned the film. The 2003 Assembly Cut isn’t actually the true vision Fincher had in mind (we suppose, as he even refused to return to record DVD commentary or appear in any bonus features) but it’s closer to his original cut of the film. It’s got a new beginning, a modified ending, and a few new sequences that flesh out some of the prisoners and fill in plot inconsistencies made by the studio’s editing.
    http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_3

Like Aliens before it, Alien3 was primarily shot at Pinewood Studios, near London, starting in January 14, 1991, without even a finished script and having spent $7 million.[5] The production was infamously fraught, with Fincher experiencing extensive interference from the studio and frequently clashing with 20th Century Fox over where the film should be going. Several actors on set observed that Fox appeared to have hired Fincher on the assumption that he was "a pop video promo director that they could push around", and when this ultimately proved not to be the case, the atmosphere became increasingly hostile.[15] To add to these problems, Fincher had to deal with a script that continued to change even as filming was taking place; according to the director, rewritten pages would arrive at the studio via fax machine to be filmed the following day, a scenario he labelled "just insane".[16] The story also had to be tweaked to allow expensive sets that had been constructed for earlier iterations of the story to be used in filming.[1]

Eventually, overruns at Pinewood caused filming to be shut down, and the production moved to Fox Studios in Los Angeles, California.[1] Reshoots of the ending involving Sigourney Weaver required the construction of an incredibly expensive fake bald cap, as the actress refused to shave her hair again.[1] So chaotic was the final post-production process that the structure of the film was being significantly altered even at a very late date. Most notably, a sequence in which the prisoners attempt to trap the titular Alien inside a waste tank was originally intended to succeed, but this was altered shortly before release in response to test screenings in which some viewers expressed the opinion that it made the Alien appear weak; the change was made so late that the original version appears in almost all of the film's related media, including the novelization, the comic adaptation and even the film's trading cards. In fact, the film's ending scene was still being edited just three weeks before the movie was due to be released in the United States.[17]
    If anything, it's amazing that Fincher managed to make Alien 3 a mostly decent movie. There's a lot to like about Alien 3, but overall it just feels like a missed opportunity to create something genuinely legendary.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2016-10-14 at 05:59 PM.

Deleted
    the Trailer will come "soon" according to rumors...

http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/a...ist-wayne-haag

Alien: Covenant will not re-visit LV-223, will uplift Prometheus and more, says concept artist Wayne Haag!

Alien: Covenant will not be revisiting the moon LV-223 where Prometheus took place and will not contain an overly bio-mechanical aesthetic the way Alien did. Concept artist for Alien: Covenant Wayne Haag recently sat down with Aaron Percival of AvPGalaxy for a chat on their podcast yesterday. The pair discussed a number of questions fans have been wondering since Covenant's announcement - everything from where the film takes place, how it will look and what we can expect in terms of how it relates to Prometheus and Scott's original Alien.

The entire podcast lasts for a little over an hour, so I've summarized some of the points Haag made:

Covenant will not visit LV-223
    Haag revealed and confirmed that Covenant will not be revisiting LV-223. The entire duration of the film will take place primarily in two locations - the planet they land on and the ship. No other locations will be explored.

Lack of bio-mechanical aesthetic
    Haag believes Ridley backed himself into a corner by how advanced he made the aesthetic look in Prometheus. Though he did admit the "dated" look regarding Human technology, he insinuated that the "Engineer aesthetic" would remain in Covenant. That's not to say there won't be Giger-esqu inspired monuments or set designs (as there were in Prometheus), they just won't be as bio-mechanical as they were in Alien.

Alien: Covenant will uplift Prometheus
    Agreeing that Prometheus had its own set of challenges and questionable moments, Wayne discusses that Covenant will likely improve and uplift what we saw in Prometheus - the two are very closely connected and what happens in Covenant will only aid in explaining what happened in Prometheus.

Deleted
    http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/b...enant-revealed

BREAKING: Official Poster & New Release Date for Alien: Covenant Revealed!

20th Century Fox have just released a new poster for Alien: Covenant - with the tagline "run". However, the date on the poster reads May 19th, 2017, which means the release date has moved up from its original August 4th, 2017 release date slot! This is extremely exciting news. The poster itself features a very blatant tease of a Xenomorph, not as cryptic as Prometheus' poster was. Check it out:

http://www.scified.com/u/IMG_20161123_182723.jpg

Deleted
    The poster has me a bit worried, it's a drone, that's like making a poster about Zerg n showing a zergling, not saying they are not formidable, but still...it's like making a jurassic park poster with a raptor instead of a T-Rex or some other big Rawrosaur.

I hope Ridley doesn't go all JJAbrams...I want my Ultramorph or something else we haven't seen before.

Btw, is this cool? "Alien King"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSiWpgAaSfk

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Where is this trailer!?
    They are re-shooting some scenes, so maybe it won't come out for a while...
    Last edited by mmocced9c7d33d; 2016-11-24 at 06:10 PM.

Deleted
    Trailer is soon I suppose, maybe this weekend?

Teaser-Trailer has been shown to some press, here's their reaction
    http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/f...nomorph-action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVQyKGSFMrg

Scott, hasnt given me much to hope for of late. Will wait and see.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would not mind, not seeing Noomi Rapace in these movies again. Horrible actress.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm interested in seeing what happened to the character.
    She dead bro. A horrible horrible death. Never gonna see her again (please).

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    LOL [emoji14] I really wanted the sequel to pick up where it left off. I was looking forward to seeing Shaw show up at their planet and interacting with them. But maybe it went bad for her pretty quickly, lol.
    I agree. I think it's pretty annoying, to end the first one, with such a huge cliffhanger, and then not follow up on it in the next one.

Deleted
    So won't be defenseless like in Alien, more like Aliens it seems, trailer is coming "soon" (they said that several times...
    Could be a red band trailer I hope, but maybe not, we'd probably not see the 15 min bloody trailer reporters got to see..
    Nvm, saw it will be 2:03 minutes long..

Deleted
    Cant wait for this movie, Alien and Aliens are on of my top movies of all time.
    Hope the trailer will come before 2017 starts.

Teaser and hints at something getting released tomorrow.
    http://comicbook.com/2016/12/24/alie...aser-released/

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

This looks like a reboot of the original Alien.

Deleted
    Great trailer, it looks idd that they do the star wars thing and take alot of stuff that worked from the old movies and put it in in another way or form but since the other movies are so old i am fine with it. This movie is now my number two most looking forward movie of 2017 after star wars.

I am surprised they managed to put a sex scene in a trailer. All in all, the trailer looks neat. Not only are they sticking their heads too close to things that they shouldn't, they are also not watching where they are walking. GG on spoiling a bit too much of the plot.

I'll probably still watch it though.

Honestly, even if it does have a breathable atmosphere, why assume it'd be safe to walk around in without a normal suit?
    Last edited by RampageBW1; 2016-12-25 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    I am surprised they managed to put a sex scene in a trailer. All in all, the trailer looks neat. Not only are they sticking their heads too close to things that they shouldn't, they are also not watching where they are walking. GG on spoiling a bit too much of the plot.

I'll probably still watch it though.

Honestly, even if it does have a breathable atmosphere, why assume it'd be safe to walk around in without a normal suit?
    I'm picturing guy from galaxy quest