Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Will be voted away faster than he was able to draft it.

Congress probably won't pass it. Passing it by state-constitutional convention however...

Itd be interesting since the Republicans control the House, the Senate and a HUGE majority of state legislatures/governorships, and effectively would be limiting their own power at this point.

And it has never happened yet, but the states can pass an amendment to the constitution with essentially no limits with no input by the Feds whatsoever.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Good, that's something along the lines of what I've been hoping for to be passed for a long while. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    By that logic, politicians should hold life terms. Because if shorter terms=less competent, longer terms=more competent, correct?
    Yes, because generally young politicians don't really know how the system works and aren't really efficient until they have a decent amount of experience on how to maneuver in the political waters. Generally it's those older politicians that help them find their path. Yes sometimes the path may involve corruption, but where there's money there's possible corruption, regardless of whether they are a new or a veteran politician.

Obama is a fine example of that, quite a political rookie when he became a president, and still a rookie now that his term was over. If he had matured a decade longer into politics, he probably would have learnt on how to work with the republicans and his Obama care wouldn't have been so disastrously watered down in the form it is now...

There are of course the natural politicians, that don't need the experience, they just know what to do and they can get it done.

Though that type of politician is so rare, you might as well be wishing for Jesus to appear.
    Last edited by mmoc925aeb179c; 2016-12-10 at 05:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Christ, the world is truly upside down. Cruz introducing something sensible.

What the actual flying fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
    Its one step in ending career politicians and encourage an influx of new ideas.
    "Too many chefs spoil the soup."

Term limits are needed, yes... to an extent. There's nothing wrong with a career politician, again, to an extent. Congressional elections are held mid Presidential terms. The laws of the country are complicated things. Constantly moving people in and out isn't going to just introduce new ideas, all hell will break loose completely. Even the founding fathers understood this.

Something like 4 or 5 terms is just fine. Limiting to 2 like the Executive Branch will destroy this country utterly. you think bueruacratic red tape and corruption are bad now?

Deleted
    By that logic, politicians should hold life terms. Because if shorter terms=less competent, longer terms=more competent, correct?
    we have term limits - They are called elections.
    Its just that US elections are garbage.
    If the US needs one thing in electoral reform, its getting rid of gerrymandered FPTP elections.
    Although if we are going for good reform, getting rid of the senate, and then have the HoR serve 4 year terms instead of two year's would also be good.

I'm doubtful that this will ever pass since Congress will vote for its own interests before the interests of the people but it would be great if it somehow does.

7+ Year Old Account
    I see one reason is bringing new ideas into congress and senate. personally i see many of these as old puddles of dog-crap just setting , making speeches, cashing checks, getting their pockets lined with special interest $$ and not coming up with ideas or working together due to the fact they all in a "club" and they hate each other.. new blood will break alot of stalemates and mostlikely they will get stuff done. if u dont like it, call ur congressman and tell them how u want them to vote, if u do, .. do the same.. I personally hope it passes as several states have this in place at the state level and its a good thing, some even make the pay so little, its more like a service. .. and they seems to get things done and work together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea mcconel came out and said this wasnt happening. Accrding to him term limits exist already. Theyre called elections.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Christ, the world is truly upside down. Cruz introducing something sensible.

What the actual flying fuck.
    Right. Dems are mcarthy and ted cruz is making reasonable propositions. Its like we woke up in the twilight zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Yes, because generally young politicians don't really know how the system works and aren't really efficient until they have a decent amount of experience on how to maneuver in the political waters. Generally it's those older politicians that help them find their path. Yes sometimes the path may involve corruption, but where there's money there's possible corruption, regardless of whether they are a new or a veteran politician.

Obama is a fine example of that, quite a political rookie when he became a president, and still a rookie now that his term was over. If he had matured a decade longer into politics, he probably would have learnt on how to work with the republicans and his Obama care wouldn't have been so disastrously watered down in the form it is now...

There are of course the natural politicians, that don't need the experience, they just know what to do and they can get it done.

Though that type of politician is so rare, you might as well be wishing for Jesus to appear.
    Oh please, Obama would have known how to work with Republicans, don't give me that garbage. The Republicans flatly stated for 6+ years that they simply would not work with Obama. You don't give a spoiled child what it wants.

The only reasons young politicians have difficulty is because older politicians make the systems difficult for new people to enter in order to preserve their positions of power. If we realized that anyone could do their jobs, they wouldn't be able to keep them.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I don't really get why the house gets more terms, but it's sensible. I don't think there should be any lifelong positions in any branch of the government. Would it really be that bad if everyone just had the president's limit of two?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

So long as their adequacy is periodically reviewed by the public then sure, I don't care if they serve their entire lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    The more frequent you have election the less will actually get done since the politician will always be in "election mode" meaning they won't enact on any needed policies that might make them look bad short term despite the policy having a good outcome long term.

Lowering it just for the sake of it doesn't contribute or improve anything.

I promise free ice cream to everyone.

Cruz knows this will never get passed and just feeding tropes to act like he is hating government while part of the government.

I want to see once Ted Cruz term is up. He better not run for re-election.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    So long as their adequacy is periodically reviewed by the public then sure, I don't care if they serve their entire lives.
    So what you're really arguing for is the removal of term limits on the President.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what you're really arguing for is the removal of term limits on the President.
    Yep. The 22nd Amendment was a bad idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Yep. The 22nd Amendment was a bad idea.
    I disagree but fair enough, as long as you're ideologically consistent.

Just, be kind.

My own proposal for term limits is 12 years of Congress, 12 years of the Senate, and one 6 year term of the President with a retention vote after 4 years. Aggregate limit of no more than 20 years. A country designed to be governed by citizen politicians does not need a concept of a professional or career politician. It shouldn't be a lifestyle unto itself, a thing you get good at and is the only thing you do your whole life, because that is a 100% failure rate in terms of maintaining the perspective of people who have to put up with the effects of government instead of simply causing them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    My own proposal for term limits is 12 years of Congress, 12 years of the Senate, and one 6 year term of the President with a retention vote after 4 years. Aggregate limit of no more than 20 years. A country designed to be governed by citizen politicians does not need a concept of a professional or career politician. It shouldn't be a lifestyle unto itself, a thing you get good at and is the only thing you do your whole life, because that is a 100% failure rate in terms of maintaining the perspective of people who have to put up with the effects of government instead of simply causing them.
    Assuming that this prejudice against 'career politicians' wasn't flawed even in 1789.

Moreover, 'citizen politician' in terms of the Founders does not mean 'Joe the Plumber', given that the majority of people who had to 'put up with the effects of government' couldn't vote.