Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Or you know... both? Nothing worse than forgetting to save for a few hours and then dying. Autosave/checkpoints is awesome combined with saving.
    Both is great.

Only having checkpoints is f**king stupid.
    Putin khuliyo

7+ Year Old Account
    boring gameplay, anime/japanese artstyle

Formerly known as Arafal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Both is great.

Only having checkpoints is f**king stupid.
    Depends on the game. Saying they always suck is a generalization I can't agree with at all. If you have levels like in Mario for example, even if they're 10-15 minutes long, I find it perfectly okay to only save between levels.

Quote Originally Posted by lucred View Post
    Sloppy/unresponsive controls. It is a video game, one of the biggest focuses should be on making it PLAY comfortably/accurately.
    I agree. I wont play a game that doesn't allow me to customize the controls to make them comfortable and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Bad controls and the worst thing a game can do IMO

AN INCREDIBILITY LONG AND BORING TUTORIAL!

Assassins Creed 3 and Kingdom Hearts 1 are games I can almost never pick up again simply because of the tutorial. AC2 had a rather long one, but it was interesting because the plot got moving really quick and kept up the pacing which made me not care that we are still early game tutorial for all aspects of your character.

Assassins Creed 3 was obnoxious slow.... you get two TWO TUTORIALS! One as haythem and one as connor..... and honestly it was booorrriiinnnggggg.

Then you have Kindom Hearts where I refused to pick up the game or any after because of how long the beginning segments were. They were slow, boring, not interesting, etc. It was more confusing and wondering wtf is this shit.
    You mention KH1, but not 2.

Man, that one was a...struggle to get through the tutorial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    You mention KH1, but not 2.

Man, that one was a...struggle to get through the tutorial.
    I didnt play kingdom hearts 2... I didnt like 1.... it felt like forever to get into the actual game and i hated it.

I didnt play kingdom hearts 2... I didnt like 1.... it felt like forever to get into the actual game and i hated it.
    Oh. Then you didn't get my joke.

2 has an entire tutorial world again, except you're stuck playing as Irrelevant the Character (Roxas). And one of the mini-games you have to play is called "Struggle", which is basically just like Smash's coin battles. You hit the person, pick up the stuff they drop, and whoever has the most at the end wins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Oh. Then you didn't get my joke.

2 has an entire tutorial world again, except you're stuck playing as Irrelevant the Character (Roxas). And one of the mini-games you have to play is called "Struggle", which is basically just like Smash's coin battles. You hit the person, pick up the stuff they drop, and whoever has the most at the end wins.
    that sounds atrocious

why do people like those games?

Is it because its Disney?

f2p elements (wow just barely manages to stay outside this zone)
    bad game performance
    30 fps
    "you think you do but you don't" as in bad FoV, mouse configs and similar things that aren't allowed to be changed for whatever reason.

that sounds atrocious

I'll admit 1 was a bit slower, but it's actually a really fun game past the tutorial I would say.
    2 fixed a lot of the issues 1 had (Especially the awkward camera).

It's just the tutorials that are awful. My friend even once said he would pay for a PS2 memory card with a save file of Kingdom Hearts 2 that is just past the tutorial.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    f2p elements (wow just barely manages to stay outside this zone)
    Care to elaborate on that? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by F2P elements if WoW is a contender for you.
    The stuff you can pay for besides the monthly fee is purely cosmetic, so I don't really get how you can put that into the same pot as true F2P games, which are usually defined by paying money to even experience the real game.

that sounds atrocious

Different tastes. I didn't mind the tutorial segment of KHII myself.

I hope Square can keep any tutorial segments in KHIII down to like 10 minutes. The gameplay difference between KH and KHII weren't drastic enough to warrant it's tutorial being as long as it was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Different tastes. I didn't mind the tutorial segment of KHII myself.

I hope Square can keep any tutorial segments in KHIII down to like 10 minutes. The gameplay difference between KH and KHII weren't drastic enough to warrant it's tutorial being as long as it was.
    I am okay if tutorials are a bit long, so long as they are engaging in terms of story, but all that anime bullshit in KH just made me groan... and I fucking like anime!

AC 2 has a semi long one, but it was fine IMO because I liked Ezio, Uncle Mario, the family, etc etc. They really did keep things engaging. brotherhood then made it just as engaging by making the start very action pack and the subsequent teaching of mechanics very simple and quick.

10+ Year Old Account
    A bad story, poor soundtrack, control scheme that's convoluted/redundant or some really bad PR crap that falls flat (like with Rift... we're not in Azeroth anymore, rofl). Depends on the genre though, some things hold more weight in say an FPS than would in an RPG.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Quote Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
    Care to elaborate on that? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by F2P elements if WoW is a contender for you.
    The stuff you can pay for besides the monthly fee is purely cosmetic, so I don't really get how you can put that into the same pot as true F2P games, which are usually defined by paying money to even experience the real game.
    I have a quite hard stance on that there should be no other payments possible for sub games outside the game and the sub cost. The same goes for simply the game cost in b2p titles.

This is a minor bugbear for me in wow and the largest reason i won't ever touch overwatch.

Obviously my opinion is subjective but it's what i think and feel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    For me it's anime art style. If it has that, can't do it no matter what.
    Pretty much this. The Japanese/anime art style is a major issue for me. If I don't like how my character looks then the game is usually unplayable.

Deleted
    I just found something else - I won't play anything that doesn't have a campaign/story mode. Or better: anything that can't be 'completed' or at least be 'progressed' in.
    There have been many games which I liked for the gameplay, but didn't see any reason to continue playing after trying them for a few minutes - Civilization, Counter Strike (or most online shooters to be honest), League of Legends and roguelikes come to mind.

I also stop playing games the second I beat them.
    I'm not sure if I'm in the minority here, but I don't just play games for the sake of playing games and having fun. I like to experience and complete as many different ones as possible, and thus I won't stay for a second longer if I feel like I've seen all there is to see.

I don't feel accomplishment in getting better at a game, so I don't play online games that are basically the same every match. I tried Overwatch and felt like I was done with the game after trying each character a few times and seeing every map.
    It's dumb, but having nothing to play through, so I can say that I've beaten the game (or at least completed its content, which would be raids for WoW for example), instantly puts me off, because I fail to find motivation to continue playing.

Playing plenty of genres across multiple platforms, bad controls is the primary game killer for me.

Also, pointless objectives to "promote" exploration. Some of the later assassins creed games and Far Cry are notorious for this. Sprinkle some icons all over the map, reach the icons to collect w/e the icons represent, "Congrats you collected all 57 of X!".
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

7+ Year Old Account
    Shooters where you have to constantly duck and shoot from cover, pisses me off