Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    That ain't no radiator.

This is what most here see as a radiator:

Deleted
    Central heating is best central heating is life

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grishnaar View Post
    So I was listening to a certain podcast and the guys on it were joking around, chuckling as they mentioned radiators.

"You remember those thing? Hot water flowed through them"

I was like, wtf, we use them in Croatia, it's normal, yet they talk about it like it's the 80's or some shit

So I'm actually curious how do you guys heat your house?
    Those guys sound a bit.. challenged. Unless they run the expensive option of the hot-air circulation system. Or, they have gone back in time with heating from fireplaces.

Else, in my house, guess what. Got boiling hot water flowing through radiators, through small pipes under the floor too.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Unless I have guests over, I turn off my central heating. The whole of my house is just not worth heating up for only two people.
    I have a small oil radiator in my bedroom, in addition to a humidifier and heated blanket. If I want to venture outside (currently 40℉) of my room I put on thick clothes. I also have poor circulation in my hands and feet, which makes winters very annoying : / but I've come to accept it.

Water heated radiators with central heating. In some cases using electric radiators to compliment when it's -30C

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    We use natural gas (methane and other hydrocarbons) down here in most parts of Texas.

At one place I lived in over in South Korea, the apartment had hot water pipes under the floor. Comfortable on the feet but much too hot to sleep on.
    I live in the USA and I use the hot water floor heating. it is so nice on a cold day to walk around barefoot and comfortable. It is also extremely efficient because: heat rises and the flooring material acts as an insulator for the heat.

I don't sleep on the floor so the sleeping part is not a problem. I haven't tried sleeping on the floor, but mine doesn't seem hot enough that it would be a problem (if you use a blanket).

I worked as a plumbing/ heating contractor in NYC, so I have an advanced understanding for heating in that region. Most people use radiators (if they steam heat) and baseboard or floor if they have hot water heat.

Steam is a bit antiquated, but it works really well if it is really cold. On those really cold days, hot water will struggle to keep up unless that house is really well insulated. An "old home" might not be.
    Last edited by Alydael; 2016-12-11 at 11:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never lived anywhere that didn't have water heated radiators. My current apartment has them, supplied through a district heating system like almost all apartment-, business-, and public buildings here in Finland.

Private homes are usually heated by water radiators connected to a central heating source (oil burning, wood burning, or geothermal heat pump being the most common). Some may have additional electric or water floor heating, although usually only in a small area of the house. A lot (probably most) homes also have an additional wood-burning stove that can be used if desired.

Radiators are still a thing in apartment buildings in NYC, at least. They're super comfy in winter at night; you just put a blanket over the radiator and funnel all that warm air to you directly.