Deleted

Need help making a bench

Im gonna make a bench for inside. Without armthings. Where do i start? Theres some blueprints but they arent exactly clear or the right measurements.

Im looking to make something like this:

10+ Year Old Account
    You buy the materials yet? I would go to a hardware store and ask around. if not, maybe some msg boards for people who like wood work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    You buy the materials yet? I would go to a hardware store and ask around. if not, maybe some msg boards for people who like wood work.
    Somehow i expected some carpenters on mmo-champ. I dont know why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    Somehow i expected some carpenters on mmo-champ. I dont know why.
    We are a msg board, might be a few.

Deleted
    Simple questions:

1. Does it need to move? Or will it be wall/floor mounted?
    2. Are you willing to pay for quality hardwoods?
    3. How is it to be upholstered? Bare wood with cushions or fixed seating elements?
    4. Can you get access to a work bench (portable will do) and some decent power tools?

You need to read a bit of ergonomics. You may also need to learn cad-like software. As for carpentry side, there are different methods. There is one which requires no screws, it's simple lock system, not sure what its called in English. I have that for my desk, it's easy to disassemble it. Either way, it's going to be harder and more time consumer than you think if you want to build something proper.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-12-11 at 10:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Simple questions:

1. Does it need to move? Or will it be wall/floor mounted?
    2. Are you willing to pay for quality hardwoods?
    3. How is it to be upholstered? Bare wood with cushions or fixed seating elements?
    4. Can you get access to a work bench (portable will do) and some decent power tools?
    1. It wont be mounted. It should be solid so it doesnt move alot though.
    2. We use "steigerhout" here, which translates to scaffolding wood.
    3. Its gonna have seat and back cushions.
    4. I have a workmate, glue, drills, etc.

Im thinking the only way to f this up is getting the measurements wrong. The rest is just letting the hardwarestore know what yu need.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    1. It wont be mounted. It should be solid so it doesnt move alot though.
    2. We use "steigerhout" here, which translates to scaffolding wood.
    3. Its gonna have seat and back cushions.
    4. I have a workmate, glue, drills, etc.

Im thinking the only way to f this up is getting the measurements wrong. The rest is just letting the hardwarestore know what yu need.
    Well why use scaffolding wood? Do you even know what type of wood it is? Well, just make sure it's unbanded.

If you're making something that can't move a lot, you need a lot of wood. Add in twice the supports, it'll nearly double the weight without adding bulk.

Measure the space, and make two sections that lock together. Trust me, one solid peace is a bitch to move. As it'll be covered with cushions, nobody will notice.

Looks, like 3-8' 2x12, 2- 8' 4x4 and probably 4- 8' 2x4. 2x12 for the top cut to the length desired. 4x4 for the legs, cut to the height desired. and 2x4 used to secure legs and top together, though there are other ways to do this. I would probably pre-drill and sink 3" deck screws but you could also drill like 1/4" holes and use nuts and bolts if you want to take it apart in the future. Id say all in hardware and lumber ~100 bucks.

EDIT: Make that 5 maybe 6 4x4, I didnt notice the middle leg and the pieces holding the legs together, though, again there are other ways to do that. Should still ring up around 100 bucks.
    Last edited by IIamaKing; 2016-12-11 at 11:39 PM.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

When you do something for the first time it doesn't always work out like you hoped, the second time will be better. That table looks like it's made out of common dimension lumber but the joining and the finishing is where the art is.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    You should take a bit of time and peruse google results. There are plenty of sites with free blueprints and guides. You can also try some of the free carpenter-type apps that let you build in 3D space.

Its not hard. People in this thread are already over complicating it.

You need 4 legs. Attached to those 4 legs are the outer bands. Inside those bands you put supports. Last but not least you put a top on it.

Deck I built a few summers ago, same concept, larger scale:

Get 4x6 for the legs, then build the rest out of 2x4's. Box of screws. Probably cost you less than $100 and as long as you coat and seal it will last longer on this earth than you will. And my example is probably over engineered for an inside table.

Use screws. Not nails. Gravity and time will defeat nails, but generally not screws. Use decking screws. To help you can use wood glue prior to screwing down on an inside piece to help make sure that it will never come loose.

Of course you can get fancy by using fancier wood, but the concept is the same.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-12-12 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Its not hard. People in this thread are already over complicating it.

Of course you can get fancy by using fancier wood, but the concept is the same.
    Pretty much what he said, but I'd also use something like this to make pocket holes so you don't have the screws showing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Would need dimensions of the lumber you are using(length, width, and thickness). How long you want the bench to be, and how fancy you want it. The one in the pic is just a box, so wouldn't be hard to make at all.

As a side note. The setup in the pic would be a bitch if you had multiple people over for meals. Any time someone had to get up you'd either have to slide the table out, or crawl over each other to leave the table.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.