Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Employers asking to keep your resumé after declining the application

Hey guys, I have been spending the last ~month or so jobhunting (not fun, I know) and I started to notice something:
    sometimes when companies decline your application, they ask/say that they will keep your cv on record and contact you if anything comes up for you, if you agree to them keeping your cv. They always say that they will keep it for 6 months exactly (I guess this is law).

Has anyone actually had employers contact you back with job opportunities or is this just some sort of attempt to collect/keep your data?

Also while we are at it, how often do you get a note if your application got declined?

IMO that should just be common courtesy to just send a blindcopy note to all the people who won't get an interview.

However for me only ~1/3th seem to do it, mostly government related jobs.

For what it's worth, I live in the Netherlands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hypermode View Post
    Hey guys, I have been spending the last ~month or so jobhunting (not fun, I know) and I started to notice something:
    sometimes when companies decline your application, they ask/say that they will keep your cv on record and contact you if anything comes up for you, if you agree to them keeping your cv. They always say that they will keep it for 6 months exactly (I guess this is law).

Has anyone actually had employers contact you back with job opportunities or is this just some sort of attempt to collect/keep your data?

Also while we are at it, how often do you get a note if your application got declined?

IMO that should just be common courtesy to just send a blindcopy note to all the people who won't get an interview.

All thee above is just waaay to much work HR and recruiters. They would have to take time and alt-tab away from their facebook, tindr/grindr, or shit posting on GEN-OT, to send out a letter.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is one area where the govt is better than the private sector. Ive always gotten notices back form gov't place. With private, it's 50/50.

Also last Oct I got an interview for another job from them keeping my cv for a job I had applied for but they closed soon after. SO...it can happen, just unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    All thee above is just waaay to much work HR and recruiters. They would have to take time and alt-tab away from their facebook, tindr/grindr, or shit posting on GEN-OT, to send out a letter.
    Most medium or large companies can automate the letters so that's not a big deal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaben View Post
    Most medium or large companies can automate the letters so that's not a big deal.
    I think he was too busy shitposting to think about that

My current job I got over a year after my first interview after which there were no spots for me, but they kept my CV and contacted me at a later date when they needed another employee.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    My current employeer brought me in for an interview, and later called to decline on the job offer, but asked to keep my info. And like two weeks later they called me back and said the position was mine if I wanted it.

I guess it depends on the company though, we handle applications on premise, so each office controls their own recruitment. I guess if all recruitments were handled by corporate HR it would be harder to keep track off though..

Also, since they called back so soon after, I guess it might not really apply to the situation you're in.

Regarding sending letters letting you know you're not getting an interview, I probably recieved less than 1/3 where they would send a copy-paste response that they're not interested.

This is in Sweden.

Deleted
    Hmm, I didn't do much job-hunting, but in my experience only the big companies replied about declining (Daimler, Bosch,...), the smaller ones simply didn't care to.

On the other hand; My current company seems to contact declined or previous employees when spots open up.
    But: You either need to have done a good job while employed OR your resume needs to show enough effort being put into.

just because you didnt get job offer it doesnt mean you werent seriusly considered - a lot of people are making companies look like devil jsut because they rejected them - i sometimes take part in recruitment process in company i work for (since im multilingual and i can easily check candidate ability to use foregin langages on decent level) and i bet a lot of people would be shocked at the amount of CVs that fly in the moment you write you have open position (especially if its office possition) - you just werent best candidate but it doesnt mean that someone who has been better on cv and qualification meeting will be better emplyee- hell he may suck complitly and get fired after a week/2 weeks that why a lot of companies let themselves a back door open because you may belive it or not - each company needs workers to function - ye i knwo shocking and if someone is not good enough we hire next one and next one - its endless process because people can quit job suddenly for myriad of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    Hmm, I didn't do much job-hunting, but in my experience only the big companies replied about declining (Daimler, Bosch,...), the smaller ones simply didn't care to.

ill let you on a secret - those people who handle HR for small companies usually simply dont have time to take care of leting know people who got declined. because they have ton of actual important work to do. and super big comapnies simply give instruction to one of ton of interns "here you go take this list call every person here and tell them they got declined"

Quote Originally Posted by SirreASDF View Post
    My current employeer brought me in for an interview, and later called to decline on the job offer, but asked to keep my info. And like two weeks later they called me back and said the position was mine if I wanted it.
    i had kinda different experince but in a way similiar - after interview with my current emplyer i didnt hear from him for 3 + weeks during which time i already forgot about it as i asumed i was declined and then suddenly he called to tell me if i wanted position was mine - after a while i learned they simply werent in a hurry since the girl that was leaving had 1,5 month long termination of her contract and she worked till last day thats why he didnt call me straight aways (ofc he was waiting for better candidate duh wo wouldnt if he wasnt in a hurry ).
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2016-12-13 at 11:37 AM.

Haven't gotten called if it was declined. I've done alot of interviews for future upcoming jobs tho. Some companies do that, instead of interview people when they already are in need. Seems more sensible to me, to already have people ready and interviewed for when you get jobs you need people for. Most of my jobs I've gotten like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    just because you didnt get job offer it doesnt mean you werent seriusly considered - a lot of people are making companies look like devil jsut because they rejected them - i sometimes take part in recruitment process in company i work for (since im multilingual and i can easily check candidate ability to use foregin langages on decent level) and i bet a lot of people would be shocked at the amount of CVs that fly in the moment you write you have open position (especially if its office possition) - you just werent best candidate but it doesnt mean that someone who has been better on cv and qualification meeting will be better emplyee- hell he may suck complitly and get fired after a week/2 weeks that why a lot of companies let themselves a back door open because you may belive it or not - each company needs workers to function - ye i knwo shocking and if someone is not good enough we hire next one and next one - its endless process because people can quit job suddenly for myriad of reasons.
    It is funny how you claim to be multilingual and then proceed to post this absolute clusterfuck of a text with literally no periods and extremely poor english.
    Besides that, you also misunderstand my op, I am not mad at the companies for declining me, im sure there were better candidates than me applying, I just think its rude to not send someone a message that you have declined them, especially since it literally takes 2 minutes to do so.

Deleted
    ill let you on a secret - those people who handle HR for small companies usually simply dont have time to take care of leting know people who got declined. because they have ton of actual important work to do. and super big comapnies simply give instruction to one of ton of interns "here you go take this list call every person here and tell them they got declined"
    No need for the negative undertone.
    I completely understand that... but is typing a generic mail and simply adding all concerned into BCC really that hard and time consuming?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It's not that they didn't care to, they just did not have the personel to do so.
    If they cant hire someone who can copy-paste ~100 email adresses and write a generic ''sorry not sorry'' email in under 5 minutes, they should fire whatever secretaries they have.

To what end? And what data would be valuable enough to catalog?

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    On that note and apologies for off-topic; but has anyone worked in HR; and can tell us what it is you guys do all day; without fail every company that has had an HR department it has been staffed by make-up clad 20-somethings who giggle and simper and don't seem to do fuck all except lose paperwork :P

Obviously, my experiences aren't universal, anyone worked with a good HR department?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    To what end? And what data would be valuable enough to catalog?
    Honestly hard to say, its just that a lot of companies make their living collecting data about people & selling it for advertisement purposes.

It is funny how you claim to be multilingual and then proceed to post this absolute clusterfuck of a text with literally no periods and extremely poor english.
    i dont have to speak with beautiful grammar to get effect i want - more you would be surprised how few people care for english - most buisness i do is with companies from spain/italy and english knowledge there is beyond bad same with russians - very few people from there who i do buisness and communicate with speak fluent english - grammar is uninportant in communication - for that i have legal department to deal with legal paperwork

this is also very big barrier for a lot of people who learn foreign languages - they focus on grammar when in fact grammar is very low on being important list. words words words thats who you need - first thing you need to do is to let yourself let go on focus on making sentence correct gramaticaly --( unless you apply to position of teacher in that language duh ).

I just think its rude to not send someone a message that you have declined them, especially since it literally takes 2 minutes to do so.
    2 minutes x 100 applicants = 200 minutes - thats almost half of day work someone would have to spend on just answearing those 100 people - i can think of 20 other things i could tell that employee to do in this time that would benefit the company more then answearing those who failed in recruitment process.
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2016-12-13 at 01:19 PM.

Deleted
    2 minutes x 100 applicants = 200 minutes - thats almost half of day work someone would have to spend on just answearing those 100 people - i can think of 20 other things i could tell that employee to do in this time that would benefit the company more then answearing those who failed in recruitment process.
    I see where you are going with that, but:

Selecting a template and copy/pasting the email-address hardly takes 2 minutes.
    Even less so if you can just use the template and copy/paste all adresses of all declined applications into the BCC bar.

Just ignoring declined ones speaks volumes on how important people are to that company; the attitude will more often than not flow over into the business process and badly impact the business itself.

Agree on the 1st part; their language skills are often what we have a laugh about at the office.

Deleted
    @hypermode

Employer here, also in the Netherlands.

We often keep resumes of those that do show potential but we simply don't have an opening at that time. So I can tell you that we at least only do this when we do have the intention to get in touch, as long as there is an opening within 6 months.

Government workers are extremely slow to respond and indeed often they don't replay at all (automated response aside).
    On that note, we sometimes get 500+ responses to a job opening so it's possible that not everyone get's a reply sometimes. This also means you have to make sure your resume really stands out too (don't simply write a boring letter + CV, really create something interesting!)

Just keep applying for jobs and the best tip ic an give you is to apply on vacancies that have very high demands. Few people do and they are usually there to weed out the "rotten apples".

Deleted

Besides your ability to write english, your ability to understand written english is also extremely poor.

Have you heard of this thing called ''e-mail'' you can use blind copy and send 100 applicants the same message AT THE SAME TIME. Did you really suggest writing emails 1 by 1? If that is so, this discussion is over.

I don't know where in the world you work, but if you were to send an application to a job that requires proficiency in English here in the Netherlands with the plethora of spelling/grammatical mistakes that you do, it would be an instant rejection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    @hypermode
    This also means you have to make sure your resume really stands out too (don't simply write a boring letter + CV, really create something interesting!)

Hey man, thanks for your response.

Could you give me an example of an application that really stood out?
    What is a good way to catch someone's eye?