Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by imunreal View Post
    Wait, what? Only 14 days of annual leave?!?
    No 10. When I said two weeks that includes weekends really so we only get 10 days. Granted once I get older that time is almost always more no matter where I go (in an office setting at least) but yes it's only 10 days and at my current work you don't even get it your first year (you accrue it so you get paid out whatever you have accrued while there) so it's even more painful.

There are plenty of companies that give more time just not the small ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlim View Post
    No 10. When I said two weeks that includes weekends really so we only get 10 days. Granted once I get older that time is almost always more no matter where I go (in an office setting at least) but yes it's only 10 days and at my current work you don't even get it your first year (you accrue it so you get paid out whatever you have accrued while there) so it's even more painful.

There are plenty of companies that give more time just not the small ones.
    Wow that is shit. In Nothern Ireland, a full time employee has to have 29 days a year min!

Deleted
    Vacations are mandatory in my country, it helps productivity and tourism.

Quote Originally Posted by imunreal View Post
    Wow that is shit. In Nothern Ireland, a full time employee has to have 29 days a year min!
    This is a Canadian news site (my country) and this is from 2013, but it still holds truth.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada...ions-1.1306523

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelri.../#2a28b0236f29

Who. What a foolish attitude.

I am entitled to my vacation time and I could care less what anyone thinks.
    people are usually fools - thinking that their dedication means anything to managers and higher up - usually it doesnt - if they see someone being stupitidly decicated they will use it to maximum and then get rid of that worker as soon as he stops being efficient - its common mistake for many new emplyees then people learn with age.
    if you are not member of family of the owners of company you will always be nothing more then caddle to them. as long as you are usefull they will use you but as soon as you are not they will put you down imidiately.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    This culture is prevalent among many organizations. It's not a concern specific to the college-educated or Millennials, it's pervasive across US business culture.
    And one of the many reasons for why US business culture is cancerous to the employees. But hey, when the entire political system is constructed in a way it's perpetually bent over for the corporate lobbyists, this is the result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    Not taking your vacation time decreases your productivity, which is harmeful for the company you are working at. Managers, who bully people into not taking their vacation, should be fired for sucking at their job.
    I agree with this. However when I used to work for Whirlpool and I got into a job on a forklift instead of on the assembly line they had to force me to take my days. Not because I thought it would make me less loyal but because I never had money to actually do anything with my vacation days and I got bored sitting at home. But fuck it when I found stuff to actually do with the vacation days I took them all the time.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    people are usually fools - thinking that their dedication means anything to managers and higher up
    lol

whose fault is it if they believe that ?

they are not fools, they are the victims of the toxic "hard work" culture

15+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed more in recent years that employers seem to look down on people using their vacation time. When you are interviewing for a job, the vacation time a company offers is used as an incentive. Once you actually have the job and try and use the time, I've encountered push back and veiled threats of losing my job. Three years ago, I gave my boss 3 months notice of a vacation I'd be taking that October. It was our company's slowest time, so I knew it was the best time for me to take it. My boss's response, however, was that I shouldn't really take the trip if I valued my job. It was only a 5 day vacation (out of the 4 weeks my company supposedly offers). During my vacation, my boss even called me and asked if there was any way I could come back earlier. I told him no as I was enjoying the time off with my wife and New Orleans.

When I got back to work, though, my boss didn't threaten me again. He instead told me how they couldn't function without me and hoped I wouldn't leave them again any time soon. I used the opportunity to negotiate a raise. Yay for being needed.

Deleted
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelri.../#2a28b0236f29

Who. What a foolish attitude.

I am entitled to my vacation time and I could care less what anyone thinks.
    We've got mandatory vacations here.
    The US is just decades behind the rest of the free world in worker rights and freedom.

Considering millennials are the most stressed generation
    This made me laugh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    This made me laugh.
    it made you laugh because instead of thinking about it you went on with the usual clichés

I have no issues using mine. Also, I have no issues calling in if I'm sick. If something especially important is going on, I can do some stuff via VPN if I have to. If you're given time off or benefits such as sick pay, use them.

Quote Originally Posted by AnoExpress View Post
    Agreed. In Romania for example your vacation time is actually mandatory. If you have 24 free days per year and you only use 12 you are pretty much forced to take time off if my understanding is correct. You're also not allowed to give up on your annual paid leave or otherwise limit it by law which makes it more or less impossible for people to not take time off.
    But you have to understand that you can't possibly be shamed or miss out on anything if you're FORCED, since it's a level playing field. No one can say "Well, damn, Bill took his required 24 days, what a slacker." Whereas when it's optional, you could compare Person A who took 6 weeks of vacation he'd accrued to person B who took none. Which one looks like the harder worker?

Despite the research showing that taking vacation improves your productivity overall, it's hard not to want to reward the person who took less vacation. Maybe that's just an American mentality, but it makes total sense to me.

It's a legitimate concern when vacation days are variable and optional.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    In many of my jobs the workforce is so lean that the expectation is for everyone to be there and working 12+ hours a day during the busy time, and 10-11 during normal times. So taking vacation just adds that many hours to everyone else's day.

A few years ago my mom organized a surprise birthday party for my dad, with hundreds of guests, live band, etc. 4 months before the event I informed my boss that I wanted to be there - the party started at 6 pm 10 minutes from my office. Because it was during a busy time, he told me he probably wouldn't let me go, despite my offer to work from 7-5 then leave and take a full vacation day for the privilege of leaving "early".

I complained to HR and they let me go, but it definitely cost me with my boss and the rest of my team, which had to work later to make up for the absence.
    Fuck those cunts!

Don't think that is a problem over here in Sweden. I guess you don't have mandetory 25 paid vacation days by law with most workers union agreements having even higher minimum paid vacation days.

Weird, I'm forced to take 3 weeks vacation in June-July-August, and then got another 2 weeks that I have to take before May, or I'll practicly end up not getting paid for thoose weeks at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    it made you laugh because instead of thinking about it you went on with the usual clichés
    What do millennials have to be stressed about? Their bank accounts vanishing? Nope, that was the generation from the great depression. The inevitable draft letter? Wait no, that was the WW2 generation. The threat of nuclear war? Nope, that was the generation from the cold war.

Honestly to assert that the millennial generation is the most stressed generation is just laughable. We're probably not even the most stressed generation in the last half century.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Is it? A company may wish to reward the one who doesn't take their vacation days over the one who does in the form of promotions or raises down the road, regardless of what they're entitled to.
    Pretty sure that's considered a form of mobbing and discrimination, here in Europe (at least where I live).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaben View Post
    But you have to understand that you can't possibly be shamed or miss out on anything if you're FORCED, since it's a level playing field. No one can say "Well, damn, Bill took his required 24 days, what a slacker." Whereas when it's optional, you could compare Person A who took 6 weeks of vacation he'd accrued to person B who took none. Which one looks like the harder worker?

Despite the research showing that taking vacation improves your productivity overall, it's hard not to want to reward the person who took less vacation. Maybe that's just an American mentality, but it makes total sense to me.

It's a legitimate concern when vacation days are variable and optional.
    You're right, my point was just to bring into consideration a different system where the issue doesn't exist not to say that "Because it's like this in RO it's like that everywhere so it's fine".