Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Millennials are worried that their bare-minimum style of work habits means their economic value doesn't last too long past the time their ass leaves the office chair. If you're providing real economic value to your employer, taking your due vacation shouldn't be a worry at all. My anecdotal experience: I only get 12 paid vacation days per year but took 2 weeks off July 2016 to take a trip to Europe among the other 2 weeks or so of miscellaneous leave I took so far this year because I bolted down and grinded that last week out to get my project work complete and minimize the impact of my absence. Got paid for the entire 2 weeks and came back to the same environment I left.

And before you get your panties in a wad, of course it's not all, but it's enough of a presence in the millennial working community to garner widespread media attention and academic study.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know about "shamed", but I'm certainly dis-incentivized from using mine. Mostly because it's shared sick/vacation time AKA Paid Time Off. If I save up a week of PTO and burn through it all, what happens if I need sick time? Happened at Blizzcon a few years back, used almost all my PTO for the trip, got bit by a black widow, ended up being late back to work and ran entirely out of PTO, had to used leave without pay, which isn't something you ever want to use. Really, it'd be nice to have them separated, but even having PTO at all is good.

Given, mine rolls over, so it's not like I have to use all my PTO by the end of the year or something. It does cap, but at such a high amount that I don't worry about it. They pay me if I go over, too.

Quote Originally Posted by imunreal View Post
    Wait, what? Only 14 days of annual leave?!?
    0 mandatory days in the US. They don't even have to give you any days, sick days included.

I have never met another millennial that feels this way. Sure with a broad statement referring to all millennial I would cross at least 1 in real life. I have worked for fast food, and even places like Walmart for many years. Like someone else stated. Must be specific to certain areas or even certain events etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    In many of my jobs the workforce is so lean that the expectation is for everyone to be there and working 12+ hours a day during the busy time, and 10-11 during normal times. So taking vacation just adds that many hours to everyone else's day.

A few years ago my mom organized a surprise birthday party for my dad, with hundreds of guests, live band, etc. 4 months before the event I informed my boss that I wanted to be there - the party started at 6 pm 10 minutes from my office. Because it was during a busy time, he told me he probably wouldn't let me go, despite my offer to work from 7-5 then leave and take a full vacation day for the privilege of leaving "early".

I complained to HR and they let me go, but it definitely cost me with my boss and the rest of my team, which had to work later to make up for the absence.
    You gave him 4 months notice.
    Your boss is a moron so are the people who you worked with.
    It didn't cost them anything they had the time to find a replacement for the day for you or let you work those hours/the day during weekend or just split the hours in few days for you to work off.
    They didn't put the time to do that even after a 4 month notice.
    They are morons simple as that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Millenials... employed... I'm calling BS right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    What do millennials have to be stressed about? Their bank accounts vanishing? Nope, that was the generation from the great depression. The inevitable draft letter? Wait no, that was the WW2 generation. The threat of nuclear war? Nope, that was the generation from the cold war.

Honestly to assert that the millennial generation is the most stressed generation is just laughable. We're probably not even the most stressed generation in the last half century.
    Just because we don't have those things hanging over our head doesn't mean we're not more stressed. I once heard that it's more stressful to live in some first world countries than it is in a third world country all due to self created stress. No I don't have a "credible" source for this currently, it's just something I heard.

However I did find this link about the most stressed generation.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mille...sed-out-2015-2

Simople

I know a coworker that was told he couldn't use his vacation days because it was "going to be a busy end of the year" (This was August/September time frame). He's no millennial, but this happens. I use mine and only feel a little anxious about it. Barring something I felt was a legitimate reason, if I was told more than once I couldn't take my vacation days I'd probably find a new job. Happiness > wealth.... of course, there's kind of a minimum wealth for happiness, too.

Typical Millennials too lazy to even take their vacation.

Exploring the world in your 20s is so fucking overrated. I traveled all over Europe, China, the Mediterranean, Scandinavian countries, and South Asia from my 20s to 25s during my educational programs. Have yet to visit Spain/Afria/South America/Russia.

Guess what. You know what I wish I had? More fucking money and stability in my life. You think I won't appreciate the great wall at the age of 45 when I make a shit ton more dough + chillin on 2 weeks vacation time cuz I have 5 to 8+ yrs with the company? Ofc I will. Right now, most new workers haven't had the company time to accumulate weeks of vacation time, are in danger of not proving themselves in the company, and not climbing up the ladder. Why the fuck do I care about traveling now?

My manager took 3 weeks off for his honeymoon (approved 1 yr ago), and 2 weeks due to an injury 2 months prior. Let me tell you right now that he has fallen behind and has yet to catch up 7-8 months later due to how you feel when you feel like you're constantly behind.

Traveling =/= Freedom. Money = Freedom. You should be spending your 20s becoming an ultimate beast at your craft and profession, not dillydallying god fucking knows where appreciating landscapes.
    Last edited by Dragoncurry; 2016-12-13 at 04:35 PM.

Deleted
    What do millennials have to be stressed about? Their bank accounts vanishing? Nope, that was the generation from the great depression. The inevitable draft letter? Wait no, that was the WW2 generation. The threat of nuclear war? Nope, that was the generation from the cold war.

Honestly to assert that the millennial generation is the most stressed generation is just laughable. We're probably not even the most stressed generation in the last half century.
    student debt, unaffordable housing, unemployment, not making as much as your parents, having to work longer hours with increased productivity.. i could go on

the point is you're stressed in significantly more areas of your life than before

My boss and accountant make me use mine. They also make me take days off. Coming from 11 years in culinary to a more office environment, I haven't yet shaken off the trappings of a more high energy occupation. Don't see the need in vacation days for taking a vacation when I live in one of the more beautiful spots of the US.

All this with my useless liberal arts degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    Exploring the world in your 20s is so fucking overrated. I traveled all over Europe, China, the Mediterranean, Scandinavian countries, and South Asia from my 20s to 25s during my educational programs. Have yet to visit Spain/Afria/South America/Russia.

Guess what. You know what I wish I had? More fucking money and stability in my life. You think I won't appreciate the great wall at the age of 45 when I make a shit ton more dough + chillin on 2 weeks vacation time cuz I have 5 to 8+ yrs with the company? Ofc I will. Right now, most new workers haven't had the company time to accumulate weeks of vacation time, are in danger of not proving themselves in the company, and not climbing up the ladder. Why the fuck do I care about traveling now?

My manager took 3 weeks off for his honeymoon (approved 1 yr ago), and 2 weeks due to an injury 2 months prior. Let me tell you right now that he has fallen behind and has yet to catch up 7-8 months later due to how you feel when you feel like you're constantly behind.

Traveling =/= Freedom. Money = Freedom. You should be spending your 20s becoming an ultimate beast at your craft and profession, not dillydallying god fucking knows where appreciating landscapes.
    I don't know, I think you should at least travel around enough to find a place you're happy living long term, but that would likely be domestic travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    student debt, unaffordable housing, unemployment, not making as much as your parents, having to work longer hours with increased productivity.. i could go on

the point is you're stressed in significantly more areas of your life than before
    Plz fuck out of here with that shit. Student debt due to poor choices in education, unemployment due to poor choices in education, not making as much as your parents due to poor choices in education, having to work longer hours with more productivity due to poor choices in developing an efficient skill set.

the point is, millennials are more stressed because they are retarded. btw, I am a millennial, I just realized the problem 2 months into my History major, and not 5 years into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yamix View Post
    I don't know, I think you should at least travel around enough to find a place you're happy living long term, but that would likely be domestic travel.
    Waste of time. Develop amazing skill set for 3-4 years, move whereever the fuck you want because all of a sudden you're in demand. Someone in his 20s is not the same person wanting to settle down in his 30s and 40s. Why bother wasting this time deciding between New York City and Iowa when you're going to settle down in Maryland in your 35s and you don't even know yet.

Only thing affecting your decision should be opportunity and personal growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlim View Post
    Just because we don't have those things hanging over our head doesn't mean we're not more stressed. I once heard that it's more stressful to live in some first world countries than it is in a third world country all due to self created stress. No I don't have a "credible" source for this currently, it's just something I heard.

However I did find this link about the most stressed generation.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mille...sed-out-2015-2

Simople
    OK, well I'm wondering how long they've been measuring stress levels. I'm fairly certain they have no metrics on the average stress level from the 1930s or the 1940s. I would guess that they didn't implement any means of measuring the stress level of the general population until maybe the 1980s. In that article they say that their survey began in 2007. So they wouldn't really know anything about previous generations.

They also state in that article that the biggest cause of stress is financial issues. So we can probably assume that the great depression generation was the most stressed generation.

I feel that they are not properly interpreting their survey. Seems to me that the survey suggest that the current age of millennials is the most stressful age, not that millennials are the most stressed generation.
    Last edited by Docturphil; 2016-12-13 at 04:42 PM.

They also state in that article that the biggest cause of stress is financial issues. So we can probably assume that the great depression generation was the most stressed generation.
    Is your point really that it could be worse?

OK, well I'm wondering how long they've been measuring stress levels. I'm fairly certain they have no metrics on the average stress level from the 1930s or the 1940s. I would guess that they didn't implement any means of measuring the stress level of the general population until maybe the 1980s. In that article they say that their survey began in 2007. So they wouldn't really know anything about previous generations.

You don't need people researching stress to realize that you can't stress about shit when you're number 1 problem is finances and being able to live and eat comfortably, making yourself and the people you support happy at a basic needs level.

If I'm new on a job I might skip vacation or not take a solid week off.

Even now I feel very secure in my present job but if I take time off, that first day back on the job is a nightmare.

Vacation is overrated.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Is your point really that it could be worse?
    the point is that people who can't afford food for their families because the world's financial institutions are failing are more stressed than any self created mumbo jumbo you people cook up for yourself nowadays.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    Plz fuck out of here with that shit. Student debt due to poor choices in education, unemployment due to poor choices in education, not making as much as your parents due to poor choices in education, having to work longer hours with more productivity due to poor choices in developing an efficient skill set.

the point is, millennials are more stressed because they are retarded. btw, I am a millennial, I just realized the problem 2 months into my History major, and not 5 years into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Waste of time. Develop amazing skill set for 3-4 years, move whereever the fuck you want because all of a sudden you're in demand. Someone in his 20s is not the same person wanting to settle down in his 30s and 40s. Why bother wasting this time deciding between New York City and Iowa when you're going to settle down in Maryland in your 35s and you don't even know yet.

Only thing affecting your decision should be opportunity and personal growth.
    44.2 millions americans with student debt but hey i guess they all did poor choices

you sure must know better

Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    44.2 millions americans with student debt but hey i guess they all did poor choices

you sure must know better
    Just because you have student debt doesn't mean you're suffering with being unable to manage your student debt. Poor choices in education (and unemployment for the same reason) make it so you can't afford to pay it back. I make 500 dollar payments every month.