Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would try to play another game to see if this issue is repeated. Try something like LOL or DOTA2 or even TF2. Play it for the same period of time you would expect to see the Freeze. Also, if WoW is loaded onto the SSD then try moving it to the regular HDD. This is to try and isolate the problem. Should be able to cut and paste it to the D drive or whatever you HDD is called. Make a folder on the D drive called Program File (x86) and put it in there. Launch the game from there and see if the game still freezes. Cause if not, then the SSD is no good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I would try to play another game to see if this issue is repeated. Try something like LOL or DOTA2 or even TF2. Play it for the same period of time you would expect to see the Freeze. Also, if WoW is loaded onto the SSD then try moving it to the regular HDD. This is to try and isolate the problem. Should be able to cut and paste it to the D drive or whatever you HDD is called. Make a folder on the D drive called Program File (x86) and put it in there. Launch the game from there and see if the game still freezes. Cause if not, then the SSD is no good.
    I tried playing it from HDD with it still freezing but I will try other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point, we want to see if it's just WoW that's causing the problem. In a previous post you said you ran 3Dmark and other things with no problem, but WoW freezes the machine. So lets say you run DOTA2 for 2 hours without issue, and you do this multiple times without a freeze, then it maybe WoW itself. At which point we'd try a few things like deleting the WTF & Cache folder, and renaming the Interface folder. If that doesn't work, I'd try just deleting WoW and reinstalling it. Preferably with no add-ons.

The most extremely solution is to reinstall Windows 10. Cause if your copy of Windows 10 was an upgraded Windows 7/8 then it can make the system unstable. But for now lets see if any other game causes problems. You could run a graphics benchmark for hours to see if it freezes. Something like UNIGINE Heaven benchmark that you leave running overnight. If you wake up to a frozen PC, then we'll need to explore reinstalling Windows 10, and from there if it happens again it would most certainly be a hardware problem. I would try to run WoW without the 980 Ti in the system and just use the built in Intel graphics. It'll suck, but if it doesn't freeze then you know it's the GPU. The last thing to do would be to RMA the motherboard.

https://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/heaven/

15+ Year Old Account
    I did a full reinstall of windows and WoW but yet to test is other games. As soon as I'm back home I'll try other games and hope it's just WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    I tried Diablo one day and then WoW two days. Diablo ran fine whole day. WoW ran fine for almost 2 days and when I got my hopes up it did the freeze again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryonic View Post

But then I go back to playing WoW. Can be 1 min or some hours but sooner or later when I zone all freeze up. I noticed the sound can still be heard a few seconds after everything else stops.
    This sounds like what happened in Grand Theft Auto V when I was overclocking the GPU and the GPU couldn't take the overclock and it crashed.

GTA V would freeze, sound would keep on playing. After a couple of minutes I would get a Black Screen. Then, I would either have to do a reboot or CTRL+ALT+DEL would work and I would get to Desktop getting the message "NVIDIA DISPLAY DRIVER HAS CRASHED".

Following this, sometimes I could reload GTA V normally, but sometimes the GPU would not run properly and I would have had to reboot again.

Problem went away when I found the GPU's max stable overclock.

I can't imagine that WoW stresses the GPU as much as GTA V does, but you could try running the game at medium graphics and see if the problem persists.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

I never fully confirmed what caused a very similar issue for me but I believe moving the gpu down a slot. I did a few things also moved my ram to the closest two sockets. Still not sure what fixed it but it went away (jinxing myself I know).

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if it would be the gpu though since it can take a whole workday of gpu stress test without errors. I also want to point out that I did not overclock anything.

Yeah I did alot of stress tests and it didn't crash my PC when I had the issue. Was a very specific thing causing it.

I don't know if it would be the gpu though since it can take a whole workday of gpu stress test without errors. I also want to point out that I did not overclock anything.
    Sometimes a game will use the card in a way that a stress test will not, revealing an issue that the stress test did not pick up.

I agree with the guys, it could be that your GPU is simply defective thus crashing under certain circumstances at stock clocks.

Such issues are relatively common, with defective cards not crashing during say 3D Mark 11 or 3D Mark Fire Strike but crashing under certain games, such as GTAV or Crysis 3.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

15+ Year Old Account
    The funny thing though it started crashing when I put in my new SSD, no problem at all before that.

The funny thing though it started crashing when I put in my new SSD, no problem at all before that.
    Could have something to do with it but probably not. Especially seeing as you said you tried playing the game from the HDD and stil had the problem. Likely just a weird coincidence. If you really think that's the problem though, return the SSD and get a different one to eliminate that as the cause. It really sounds like your graphics card though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try removing the 980 ti and run wow off intel graphics. It will suck but if it's stable then the gpu is the problem. The ssd might be just timing.

I also have (had) wow suddenly freezing the whole computer during gameplay, and since I'm on a heavy overclock I disabled/reduced OCs one by one. Right now I'm on a reduced RAM speed (went from 1600mhz to 1333mhz) and during those last 2 weeks WoW did not freeze once.
    So it might be your RAM (either clockspeed or CAS values etc.).

But it could also be related to changes in the game's code, because I did not change hardware or clockspeeds for months and WoW always ran without any problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    Update: I tried replacing GFX card, memory and soundcard and the problem still persist. Intel shut down my case, refused to replace my SSD and told me to contact the motherboard manufacturer despite the fact that the computer worked just fine with the old SSD.

Only error I've been able to find in event logs is "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging operation". I tried moving the page file to another drive but it didn't help.
    Last edited by Cryonic; 2016-12-13 at 09:47 AM.

Don't go to Intel, go to the shop where you bought it then. There are two types of warranty (in the Eu at least, don't know where you are from), and when you buy a defective item the vendor has to replace it or give the money back to you. The warranty from the manufacturer on the other hand is not legally mandatory, so they can refuse it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am from EU yes. I went to the shop I bought it from but they told me that I should contact Intel for support.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am from EU yes. I went to the shop I bought it from but they told me that I should contact Intel for support.
    Whilst I have not read up on the thread and cannot offer advice on that regard I will state the following from the end of the thread I managed to follow:

EU law stipulates that it is the shopkeeper's responsibility for a full 2 years on all electronics that it is their responsibility and not the manufacturer.
    If it is past that time and the warranty is longer than that amount of time then it is the manufacturer's responsibility.

All good sold in the EU, regardless of origin, must adhere to these rules.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm
    Here's a link for info.

15+ Year Old Account
    I talked to them but they stated that the SSD will be tested and if it fails they will give me a new one. I don't think that there is any chance I will get it replaced since I can run tests on it for 16 hours with no errors at all and 100% stability. The only time the system crash is if I have that SSD in the computer and zone in world of warcraft. The game don't even have to be on the SSD.

Update!

I also found that loading in Diablo III also can cause a freeze!

Update 2!

More games can cause a freeze. seems like games that load data cause freeze but stress tests and stuff cannot freeze computer even if I load up gfx stress test and ssd stress test simultanously.
    Last edited by Cryonic; 2016-12-19 at 04:56 PM.