Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Post ​New Bill Proposes College Transcripts Include Rape Charges

On Thursday, a California legislator filed a bill that would require college administrators across the country to note on a student's transcript if he or she had been found guilty of violating the school's sexual violence policies. The Safe Transfer Act, proposed by Congresswoman Jackie Speier, also states that if a student transfers while the disciplinary process is still being conducted, the case would remain on his/her file for a year.

"Universities and colleges are perfectly willing to include academic infractions like plagiarism on students' records, yet students who have committed sexual assault can walk away from campus with a clean academic bill of health. This is appalling and, whether intentional or not, shows that acts of sexual violence on campus are less serious than cheating," Rep. Speier said in a press release. "My bill will ensure that students who try to transfer schools to avoid the consequences of their violent acts will, at a minimum, face the same consequences as students who transfer because they've cheated on an exam."
    (source)

So..... California's list of whacky laws about the campus rape hysteria is to have ones transcript label if you've been charged with anything. When are we just going to sex segregate College's already?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

investigating allegations and accusations of sexual assault is a matter for trained police and courtrooms and not some platform for political activists, of whom more than a few bear petty grudges against the other sex.

I'm confused..the police doesn't handle this? Pretty sure being convicted of sexual assault tarnishes your criminal record, what's this supposed to do?

Why wouldn't the new school do criminal checks?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    I'm confused..the police doesn't handle this? Pretty sure being convicted of sexual assault tarnishes your criminal record, what's this supposed to do?
    Insure that every college that does it gets sued to the fucking ground by anyone sensible enough to do so. They're intentionally destroying someone's life over something that wasn't investigated OR tried through the proper channels. How is that anything *but* slander/libel?

10+ Year Old Account
    Universities should treat investigations into bad student behavior the same way the police do. Put the student on a leave of absence that will not affect his schooling while the police investigate the indecent and the school cooperates. The idea that the university should be able to do ANY sort of criminal investigation and bring students up on essentially "in school" charges is absolutely insane. If they want to suspend/expel the student, FINE, but the police investigate crimes. The school can cooperate in the investigation by choice or by force, but not hold an investigation of their own.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Universities nationwide have to set up flimsy internal tribunals to deal with allegations of sexual misconduct. In California these tribunals are very intense because we added an extra law that makes the tribunals into virtual kangaroo courts (as if they weren't already) by forcing the defendant to prove they are innocent.

This also means transcripts are labeled if you are charged, even if found innocent you still get that label.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Um.. Companies do background checks when hiring. Rape accusations should not be done through the college. It bypasses the legal system set up by our country and has the possibility of ruining someone's life because some liberal professor refuses to listen to the accused's side of the story and automatically labels him a rapist.

With hookup culture being so popular these days, lets suppose two people (same level of drunkedness) meet each other and head off to their rooms. They enjoy the sex at the time and then the girl wakes up in the morning seeing someone she doesn't recognize. She charges him with rape and his future is ruined because of a misunderstanding.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2016-12-14 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    But that's not what they're doing. Read the post and the source.

to note on a student's transcript if he or she had been found guilty of violating the school's sexual violence policies.
    This is not a CRIMINAL check, this is a check for whether you have broken another schools policies or not. Remember that universities do not investigate such crimes like the police, they are not legally trained to, so these things don't hold up in court, but you could forever have a mark against your name in the academic world because somebody instigated a "rape investigation" against you.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    I don't think they are required to, I've never had to pass a background check to apply to a college. from what the article says it informs the "accused" of the notice being sent out and it forces the college to allow them to explain themselves if they so choose. sooo I mean.. it doesn't sound too unreasonable. but, to add to the general consensus why these cases aren't given to the police is appalling.
    Last edited by Sky High; 2016-12-14 at 03:06 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noogai131 View Post
    But that's not what they're doing. Read the post and the source.

This is not a CRIMINAL check, this is a check for whether you have broken another schools policies or not. Remember that universities do not investigate such crimes like the police, they are not legally trained to, so these things don't hold up in court, but you could forever have a mark against your name in the academic world because somebody instigated a "rape investigation" against you.
    The universities are only a testing ground, this will likely become regular California state law eventually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh if it's not on a criminal record then why should it be on a transcript? I'm all for slimy people getting justice but the proposal as I understand it is ridiculous.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    (source)

So..... California's list of whacky laws about the campus rape hysteria is to have ones transcript label if you've been charged with anything. When are we just going to sex segregate College's already?
    As a man, I'd like nothing more than to go to a school with all women

/s

Edit: On topic/ Transcripts are not legally binding documents like employment and a criminal record. Schools can no legally justify doing such a thing, and well, being charged with rape doesn't mean you are guilty, especially if you graduate and the courts have cleared you of any wrongdoing. To be honest, schools are not within legal authority to be disclosing such information, that is for law enforcement officers to disclose, not educational institutions. These fucking neo-Liberal whackjobs clearly have no idea the terrible precedents they are proposing.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2016-12-14 at 02:55 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    So, admittedly not having watched the video, say two students get drunk. They sleep together. The next morning, one feels regret for having done so and files rape charges (and don't tell me this doesn't happen, because it bloody well does). Now it's on the other persons personal transcripts with no real commentation on the actual allegation other than someone reported them for rape and now it follows them forever. Regardless of their innocence.

Yeah. This seems like a great idea. My father was fired at the age of 55 for charges of sexual harassment, and this more or less marred his professional career and he never worked again. Moreover, it was discovered a year later that his subordinate and another woman in the office concocted this allegation against my father so they could both get respective promotions upwards. The female admitted my father never did anything. She and my dads former subordinate were both fired, but this changed NOTHING for my father. The company didnt hire him back. No apologies. No back wages. Nothing. This is the kind of shit that goes on constantly. And once you get that black demerit, it will haunt you forever.

NOTHING should be documented until there has been an investigation by the police. Period.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if Trump does the reasonable thing and reverses this trend at the federal level or leaves it be to maintain his public image.

10+ Year Old Account
    Torn on this. There seems ot be no middle ground. On one hand, this kind of thing is silly since it also includes in progress, not just finished - convicted. On the otherhand, universities doing NOTHING leads to Baylor like situations, which tarnish the entire campus for some time and give off a rapist university vibe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever you think things can't possibly get worse... well, this. This happen.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istenno View Post
    NOTHING should be documented until there has been an investigation by the police. Period.
    So schools are not permitted to record breaches of university policy, then?

Laws like this are already active in Virginia and New York, I sincerely doubt that 'false rape convictions' happen with any appreciable frequency where this would be a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Torn on this. There seems ot be no middle ground. On one hand, this kind of thing is silly since it also includes in progress, not just finished - convicted. On the otherhand, universities doing NOTHING leads to Baylor like situations, which tarnish the entire campus for some time and give off a rapist university vibe.
    I think that Universities have the responsibility to keep their students safe. I don't think anyone's going to argue against that.

However, Universities are not a court room. An allegation of rape should be left to the police. If anything, perhaps Universities should have a legal bureau within the building, where everything to fill a legally binding accusation (of rape, assault, etc) is available.

Let the professionals handle that, not the morality police.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    I wonder if Trump does the reasonable thing and reverses this trend at the federal level or leaves it be to maintain his public image.
    Honestly? I am unsure if Trump's people will reverse the Title IX demon. For one, a lot of Conservative religious types go all in for the "Protecting the flower of Womanhood!" angle.

I am unsure if even he would reverse it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Whenever you think things can't possibly get worse... well, this. This happen.
    California universities are become significantly shitty.

I guess the solution is to not date another college student if you are a college student.