The best vengeance demon hunters

I recently switched main to vengeance demon hunter and to improve my skills I feel like I should watch videos of really good vengeance demon hunters. I of course read the guides posted on this forum but I feel like I could improve even more if I could see a really good vengeance demon hunter who posts videos regularly.

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see where you're coming from by wanting to see the best, but it's honestly pretty easy. :P
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Honestly, just try, most videos I saw at youtube about "Veng DH gameplay and guides" I laughed cause most of them dont even use the demonhunter to its fullest, therefore just play it yourself and get a feel for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd be better off reading logs than watching videos. There are a lot more logs than videos, just find what they have in common.

iLvl 889 (882 Equipped) Veng DH here. Just killed Heroic Helya. I'm one of my raids 2 Tanks. Have gone into Mythic raid but my guild doesn't have enough active players to enter every week reliably so we only have Nythendra down ATM. As for Mythic+ experience, I have around 260 dungeons worth of experience on + levels and a few 10+ clears within the timer. I have 36 points into my Aldrachi Warblades.

Now that my qualifications are done, I'll tell you what has worked best for me:

The biggest tip I can give is that not all the talents are worthless like some websites will tell you, and you should NOT just stick to one talent spread for every situation.

For example: This week on Mythic+ we have had to deal with Raging, Necrotic and Fortified. I feel as though this is a particularly deadly combination for DH tanks to deal with.

Normally my go to spec would be Agonizing Flames, Burning Alive, Felblade, Feed The Demon, Quickened Sigils, Fel Devestation, Last Resort.

This week some aspects of this build fall flat, particularly in row 3. Felblade is generally the best go to talent on this level, but this week I decided to switch to Fel Eruption. Sites will tell you that Fel Eruption just isn't worth taking. In some dungeons like BRH an extra stun is super helpful for you surviving that Knife Dance, or Blade Flurry from the demons in the circular hall. It can also keep an add at bay while you get away to let necrotic fall off. Obviously not as helpful for necrotic, but I've found having an extra stun valuable for some higher level fortified dungeons. Another switch I made for this week was Sigil of Chains to help deal with necrotic. Burning Alive is probably the best talent to take in any Mythic+ dungeon for survivability.

This build only works in certain situations. Tanking Heroic Helya for example with Burning Alive is completely worthless because I never have to tank multiple targets. I would take Soul Cleave in that situation. Felblade IS the more fun talent, and higher DPS talent in almost every other situation. I've tried using Soul-Rending in the place of Feed The Demon one time on a +13 Wrath of Azshara and I got destroyed, so I'm fairly certain Feed the Demon is best in every situation when it comes to surviving.

Aside from just playing with talents more to better adapt, it really is brutal but I have to say you really just need certain gear to tank higher level dungeons and raids effectively. I am using a Darkmoon Deck: Immortality my guild was kind enough to make me and it is sadly our best trinket. Extra armor is just too important for mitigation at the moment. Even sacrificing certain stats for higher iLvl gear is worth it generally because of the extra armor. Getting that 35th point in your artifact weapon also really helps.

For stat priority I would have to say I have found most success in Vers/Mastery gear. I lean towards Vers on all of my gear. Vers/Haste is really strong unless you have a Blood Thirsty, in which case you can just stack Vers/Mastery and have your trinket give you haste. The haste shaves about 1.5 seconds off Demon Spikes cool down if you have around 20%. This paired with Feed The Demon and smart usage of Demon Spikes will give you pretty much 100% up-time. I've heard stacking Crit for the extra parry coupled with smart DS usage is also really strong for most situations, but it makes you spikier on static damage intake.

Even as a really geared DH, I feel inferior to every other tank in almost every situation. The reason I keep playing is because its a very fun play style to me.

Hope this helped.
    Last edited by Effreet; 2016-12-12 at 04:57 AM.

Time your cooldowns for mitigating damage and time your heals so you don't overheal

Class discords are a great source of information as well. Just search engine "demon hunter discord" and go to the #vengeance channel.

Deleted
    I don't raid but I do a lot of mythics. Don't record most but I have a CoS +9 run from a few weeks back.
    Here's the a link to the video @3 minutes and 16 seconds in (when it starts).
    https://youtu.be/N1sSGCy3dWM?t=196

Can't comment on raid tanking as I haven't progressed any mythic content since I don't raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't let anyone tell you that DH tanks are bad. As long as you're not aiming to be on the top, dh is fine. I have tanked every boss in EN mythic and it wasn't really hard, or a lot harder. Sure druids and warriors can perform better, but for most of the players it doesn't matter.

Also mythic+ are a blast. Only important thing i can say about it: you have a ton of mobility - use it. I enjoyed the week with necrotic + raging as i had a real fun time kiting mobs, which was a nice change of style, and it made the +12 run really smooth for me this week. According to my healers this week i have been the easiest to heal tank of all the classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Struggle View Post
    Class discords are a great source of information as well. Just search engine "demon hunter discord" and go to the #vengeance channel.
    The class discord is not great, they have incorrect information and gives bad advice. Munkyy one of those "distinguised" just said that DH werent stacking mastery for survival at lunch but for damage...yeah kinda shows how little they know

Quote Originally Posted by jaksan View Post
    The class discord is not great, they have incorrect information and gives bad advice. Munkyy one of those "distinguised" just said that DH werent stacking mastery for survival at lunch but for damage...yeah kinda shows how little they know
    This guy, taking my words out of context. I did say that Mastery was best for surv when we were doing DUNGEONS at launch, with it still being one of the best.
    However you made the comment about people doing it for raids, which is not true, because Mastery got nerfed at the beginning of raiding, and so most who still went Mastery had their gear still and were going for a mix DPS/Surv route, leaning more towards DPS.

If you're gonna flame someone make sure you know what your talking about

OMG you came at me with the same link that I've seen 100 times since a week ago. You sure got me bud.

Btw, thanks for this, because I finally did a little talk about this whole situation, that you seem to be late to the party on.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post43755863

Cheers

I saw your guides before the raids came out, they still said vers > mastery even before the nerf was announced, which makes no sense, the very fact taht you would even prio stat that way is nonsense when mastery was so good, unless you had insider info on the nerfs hitting weeks before they did

I saw your guides before the raids came out, they still said vers > mastery even before the nerf was announced, which makes no sense
    Because Mastery was good in dungs, it was nerfed when raids came out. At that point, people were using it for the dps, which is what my comment was referring to in reply to your comment about raids. In dungeons however, Mastery is good, which is in all of the guides and has been.

Sure, but the fact of the matter is you specifically said you didn't recommend mastery for raids pre mastery nerf because you thought it was going to get nerfed, which honestly is silly. Theorycrafting should be about what is best at the moment, not what you think will be best 6 months from now. I feel like many of your responses in the veng megathread revolve around this. You specifically don't talk about how X buff or Y nerf will affect our rotation, only that it might, but don't want to go into specifics because something might change on a ptr patch and what you said won't be accurate anymore.

That aside, I do feel like there is way too much of an overemphasis on the idea of "damage smoothing" or overall healing potential, and at times it feels like people are still listening to blizz when they talk about how "we want to change tanking so you're not at 100% or dead" which they claim every expac but fail to deliver on.

An example of this is choosing talents like Soul Rending and Feast of Souls instead of Feed the Demon and Fallout on single target bosses. When I'm tanking Xavius and the Corruption Horror at the same time any "damage smoothing" is out the window, and I'm chaining CDs to allow the healers to keep me up while spamming me. The piddly amount of healing that feast does pales in comparison to another 6 seconds of 40% damage reduction. And the idea that Soul Rending will allow me to be "unkillable" during meta is laughable as an extra 125k HPS is a drop in the bucket in raids.

Ignoring the bizarre attacks on Munkky, most of the stuff in here is solid. As long as you understand the mechanics in a fight and know when you're going to take damage spikes, Vengeance isn't particularly difficult. People can argue stat weights etc for days but realistically the number of times you're going to have to really consider two pieces of gear against each other is fairly rare. Generally go for Vers/Mast. Talent builds are situational, or depend on whether you're pushing survival vs. DPS. Playing more will honestly be your best bet for getting better.

If you're interested in videos, I stream occasionally. I'm certainly not the best ever but I generally do fine.

https://www.twitch.tv/justank/v/107342849

Our first M Cenarius kill from tonight starts around 4:30, I'm on dragons so I'm mostly just focused on survival. Some M Xavius wipes follow.