Increased Artifact Knowledge research duration?

I am seeing something unexpected regarding my Artifact Research. I have always assumed that the research duration have been 4 days, backed up by the fact that I see the remaining time counters as 3 days and 7 days (for the next in line). My research was unlocked together with a friend of mine, and we have always picked up ours at the same time (+/- a few hours, but always with the next level queued, so that should not affect anything). At AK19 I suddenly had 12 hours remaining on mine when my friend picked up hers (I have been a couple of hours ahead previously).

I am 98% sure that I have had the 4 day duration previously, and I am 100% sure that I have been getting mine completed a couple of hours before my friend since we both levelled 110.

I have 1 alt that is also doing research, while my friend have no alts. Currently my main (AK20) have 3 days left until AK21 and 8 days left until AK22. My alt have 10 hrs left until AK18 and 4 days left until AK19. Just after I picked up AK20, I could see 4 days until AK21 and 9 days until AK21.

I cannot find any explanation for this besides the duration per research has *increased* by 1 day for my main... Is this i known mechanic, or could it be some sort of bug? I know there is a research-time reduction/catch-up mechanic for alts, but as stated this is for a main, comparing with my friend's main. I am the one with an alt, she has no lvl100+ alts.

tl;dr;
    The research-time per AK-level jumped from 4 to 5 days between AK19 and AK20 for me. Why?

I guess the "shorter research catch up mechanism for characters that started late" caps at 20 then? Don't worry 25 is the max you'll get it before Nighthold (I expect Nighthold mid to late January).

Quote Originally Posted by kathor View Post
    I am seeing something unexpected regarding my Artifact Research. I have always assumed that the research duration have been 4 days, backed up by the fact that I see the remaining time counters as 3 days and 7 days (for the next in line). My research was unlocked together with a friend of mine, and we have always picked up ours at the same time (+/- a few hours, but always with the next level queued, so that should not affect anything). At AK19 I suddenly had 12 hours remaining on mine when my friend picked up hers (I have been a couple of hours ahead previously).

I am 98% sure that I have had the 4 day duration previously, and I am 100% sure that I have been getting mine completed a couple of hours before my friend since we both levelled 110.

I have 1 alt that is also doing research, while my friend have no alts. Currently my main (AK20) have 3 days left until AK21 and 8 days left until AK22. My alt have 10 hrs left until AK18 and 4 days left until AK19. Just after I picked up AK20, I could see 4 days until AK21 and 9 days until AK21.

I cannot find any explanation for this besides the duration per research has *increased* by 1 day for my main... Is this i known mechanic, or could it be some sort of bug? I know there is a research-time reduction/catch-up mechanic for alts, but as stated this is for a main, comparing with my friend's main. I am the one with an alt, she has no lvl100+ alts.

tl;dr;
    The research-time per AK-level jumped from 4 to 5 days between AK19 and AK20 for me. Why?
    The base research duration is 5 days.

I assume you started playing late and so benefited from the catch up mechanic that reduces the base duration allowing you to 'catch up'.
    You have now caught up to where it longer reduces your duration and so get the base 5 days.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Oh, if there is such a mechanic in place then I guess you are right! I thought the only reducing mechanic was the one for alts! Thanks for the response!

If you were 110 on the first day you probably just learned AK21 so... you've pretty much caught up.