Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Some human beings are just crazy motherfuckers and no amount of teaching them not to be killers is gonna do shit.

I have a great idea, we should get rid of the police, because instead of expecting people to defend us against crime and violence we should just focus on addressing and stopping crime and violence.

The sad part of this is, this person will continue to get re-elected because of identity politics.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Anyone whose job title is "Minister for the Status of Women" probably is, especially since that is just a made up position by our SJW PM.
    Except the position was created in the early 70s... Holy shit, we've been a progressive country for a long time, mind blowing.

From my understanding, she is actually not the PM.

But her statement makes no sense to me at all. The best way to defend yourself against any sort of violence, is to literally defend yourself. By claiming that expecting women to be prepared and think about their safety is offensive SHOULD actually be the offensive statement here. It essentially places women at child level where they obviously cannot think or fend for themselves.

But, thats PC culture for you I guess.
    Facts don't care about feelings

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a nice middle ground between teaching self defense while also not putting the blame on victims of assault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I don't understand the mentality of putting yourself in the position to be a victim and expecting no bad person will victimize you. Why not give tools to defend oneself AND prevent violence.
    Because those same tools are just as available to potential attackers, in that case. It leads to an escalation of violence, and the attacker will ALWAYS have the upper hand, due to being the one initiating the assault. All passing this sort of law ensures is that potential rapists will be able to carry pepper spray they bought over the counter, to better subdue their victims pre-emptively. It's not the "fix" it's presented as, because it can only assist in providing a defensive option if you can somehow limit its use ONLY to the victims.

Same arguments apply to pretty much any other weaponry.

I have to imagine that most of the people having huge issues with this and saying "the best way to defend yourself is to arm yourself" are Americans, and frankly, if you compare the rate of offense and the degree of violence in both of our nations, I'd rather go with the Canadian system, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    That's true, but not all women are mothers or irresponsible.

I get the point though, and it's a valid concern.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...auto-1.3870359

Let 11 year old play grand theft auto and had access to the car.

This could easily have changed "wanted to find out what it was like to drive a car." to "wanted to find out what it was like to shoot a hooker."

As if perpetrators of rape aren't going to get firearms/pepper spray/chloroform/whatever they want regardless. Canada is stranger than I thought.

Even if the aggressor and the victim both have access to pepper spray or other weaponry, legalizing a more potent defense increases the risk of initiating an attack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Source: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...women-men-rape

Not familiar with source, anyone comment?

Cliff Notes: Someone is trying to legalize pepper spray and Patty Hadju, Canada’s Minister of Status of Women this to say:

I mean, she is not wrong in the first part of the quote. Then goes (IMO) bonkers to close it out.
    I say do both. Educate our youth better, and also learn to defend youself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gsfgsjjkg View Post
    Some human beings are just crazy motherfuckers and no amount of teaching them not to be killers is gonna do shit.
    Exactly, which is why you both educate, and learn to defend yourself.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Anyone whose job title is "Minister for the Status of Women" probably is, especially since that is just a made up position by our SJW PM.
    Bashing your own country is not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Adults don't operate based on what's cool.

Fixed thread title as it seems a few people took issue. lol

Edit: Well I tried. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    What, precisely, is the "position to be a victim?"
    Well lets say at the extreme, I go naked through Main and Hastings here in vancouver with $100 bills strapped across my body. I would say I have put my self in the position to be robbed, beaten and possibly raped. Its sub zero right now so I would probably freeze to death as well.

I wouldn't go as far to say pepper spray is the answer but I would say its important to protect yourself or at least not put yourself in a compromising position.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Because those same tools are just as available to potential attackers, in that case. It leads to an escalation of violence, and the attacker will ALWAYS have the upper hand, due to being the one initiating the assault. All passing this sort of law ensures is that potential rapists will be able to carry pepper spray they bought over the counter, to better subdue their victims pre-emptively. It's not the "fix" it's presented as, because it can only assist in providing a defensive option if you can somehow limit its use ONLY to the victims.

Same arguments apply to pretty much any other weaponry.

I have to imagine that most of the people having huge issues with this and saying "the best way to defend yourself is to arm yourself" are Americans, and frankly, if you compare the rate of offense and the degree of violence in both of our nations, I'd rather go with the Canadian system, thanks.
    I'm sorry I'm not going to converse with someone that thinks race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. dictates a person's value.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yeah but guns aren't as idiot-proof. Some mom leaves her gun in glove compartment while she runs in to pay for gas, kids get bored and realize the glove compartment is open. Et cetera.

The worst you can do with pepper spray is spray yourself in the face.
    Yeah but pools aren't as idiot-proof. Some mom leaves her kid alone while she runs somewhere, kids get bored and realize the pool is open. Et cetera.

We should ban pools!

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's one of the national past times in the US.

**suppose if your willing to trade off knowing you'll get in trouble if used on a Human you can get bear spray.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Fixed thread title as it seems a few people took issue. lol

Edit: Well I tried. Oh well.
    I got it for you, based on what the title of the first post is versus the thread title. If it's wrong, PM me and I'll correct it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    Yeah but pools aren't as idiot-proof. Some mom leaves her kid alone while she runs somewhere, kids get bored and realize the pool is open. Et cetera.

We should ban pools!
    I don't know about the rest of Canada but here in Quebec you are required to have a fence around inground pools and a safty gate with self-closing device installed on the inside on the platform that allows acess to above ground pools.

pools are not bans, but they are requierd to be safe and kid proof.

We should ban pools!
    I'm not sure what the point of your post is, I'm not advocating for gun bans. Nice try, though?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalador View Post
    I don't know about the rest of Canada but here in Quebec you are required to have a fence around inground pools and a safty gate with self-closing device installed on the inside on the platform that allows acess to above ground pools.

pools are not bans, but they are requierd to be safe and kid proof.
    How do you guys handle knives, then? Curious.

7+ Year Old Account
    How do you guys handle knives, then? Curious.
    We store the dangerous one high enough so kids can't play with them when no one is around...