Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Jesus people using words they only think they know.

nep·o·tism ˈnepəˌtizəm/ noun noun: nepotism

the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

NOTHING to do with sex or race of the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    No they don't necessarily have to be the same thing... But if quotas are the method of obtaining a more proportional representation, then there's a problem.

The way I see it, proportional representation for employment should be representative of the of people who actually want and are qualified for the job - Not representative of all people in the country or a given area. So if 80 men and 20 women all want to be {and are qualified to be} CEOs, and we're at 81% men and 19% women, then that's a good place to be. If it's not, then of course some changes are in order.
    One thing you're overlooking:
    If there are 80 men and 20 women, all of which are equally qualified and there is no discrimination of any kind involved, you still are not guaranteed equal representation. There's a high likelihood of something approaching equal representation, but there is also the possibility of having a very skewed representation.
    Because by having candidates who are all equally qualified, and there being no discrimination in the selection, you are effectively eliminating any distinguishment between candidates. And selection from an indistinguishable pool of candidates is basically random. And random selection is not guaranteed to result in equal representation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    I agree with you 100% on that, I am a capitalist pig as well it's too bad the real world doesn't work that way.
    That why I think that's what we need to work towards that, and anything else is a waste of effort, and (the agree\disagree part) I think it can lead to mangers that hold that resentment later on and it will start to grow a self-perpetuating problem IMO. (cause I know one way the world does work, people can be amazing at holding a grudge)

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I want a society where one group doesn't dominate and where underprivileged groups suffer.
    Good luck with that seeing as men and women have different interests. There will always be jobs that are dominated by a certain gender because of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going with their logic, retards should have a place in NASA working on the next generation propulsion system, after all equality > everything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    One thing you're overlooking:
    If there are 80 men and 20 women, all of which are equally qualified and there is no discrimination of any kind involved, you still are not guaranteed equal representation. There's a high likelihood of something approaching equal representation, but there is also the possibility of having a very skewed representation.
    Because by having candidates who are all equally qualified, and there being no discrimination in the selection, you are effectively eliminating any distinguishment between candidates. And selection from an indistinguishable pool of candidates is basically random. And random selection is not guaranteed to result in equal representation.
    Of course, random isn't perfect. But with a much larger sample size (as in the real world) you'd expect to see close to accurate numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crewskater View Post
    Good luck with that seeing as men and women have different interests. There will always be jobs that are dominated by a certain gender because of this.
    You're aware these interests are socially constructed, enforced, and perpetuated right?

Engineering isn't inherently less interesting to women, just like nursing isn't inherently less interesting to men.

Quote Originally Posted by Kubaal View Post
    People place far too much emphasis on gender. Take the most qualified regardless of gender.
    So much this

/10 char

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    You're aware these interests are socially constructed, enforced, and perpetuated right?

Engineering isn't inherently less interesting to women, just like nursing isn't inherently less interesting to men.
    You're right, sex hormones are a myth

Please do not go there. I have a profound interest in becoming a published author. There is no socially constructed notion that forces me to think "I want to be an author."

I had a story and started to write it down, and that is where my love for writing grew.

My sister, has an interest in chemical engineering and currently has a bachelors degree in it.

My wife on the other hand, has a strong interest in social work especially related to children.

The whole notion of "its socially constructed" perpetuates the idea that obviously women cannot think for themselves, and if they do their thoughts are due to socially constructed forces (aka the patriarchy).
    Facts don't care about feelings

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

equality of outcome =/= equality of opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by Cts53 View Post
    Please do not go there. I have a profound interest in becoming a published author. There is no socially constructed notion that forces me to think "I want to be an author."

I had a story and started to write it down, and that is where my love for writing grew.

My sister, has an interest in chemical engineering and currently has a bachelors degree in it.

My wife on the other hand, has a strong interest in social work especially related to children.

The whole notion of "its socially constructed" perpetuates the idea that obviously women cannot think for themselves, and if they do their thoughts are due to socially constructed forces (aka the patriarchy).
    That's how it works in Didactic land. It's men holding the gate closed, not a legit lack of interest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    You're right, sex hormones are a myth
    Please do explain how 'sex hormones' discourage female interest in engineering.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cts53 View Post
    Clearly the fact that there are women in engineering at all demonstrates that women can think for themselves. That does not, however, mean there are not sociocultural forces at work when it comes to creating incentives or discouragement.

They don't, their personality does. However, there is an actual chemical and biological reason if you want to dig deep enough.

Biologically speaking, men are better at abstract and task-oriented things while women are better with communication. It is all in how the brains are wired.

Plus, typically the area largely related to math skills, the Inferior-Parietal Lobule is larger in the male brain than the female brain, which would lean to why typically men tend to be better at math. Women are better at "larger picture" while men perfect to focus on single tasks.

Clearly the fact that there are women in engineering at all demonstrates that women can think for themselves. That does not, however, mean there are not sociocultural forces at work when it comes to creating incentives or discouragement.
    However when women think for themselves and say "i dont want to do a STEM field, I would rather photography or social work" it is socially contsructed forces.

Give me an example of how socially speaking, women are discouraged from entering a STEM field?
    Last edited by Cts53; 2016-12-14 at 07:20 PM.
    Facts don't care about feelings

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kubaal View Post
    I work in IT and have for nearly 20 years. I also have a strong word on who does and doesn't get hired and or promoted. And its always based on experience, knowledge, training, commitment, and punctuality. Never about gender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Same should go for college too.

Oh you want to go to this law school close to home? Too bad we met our quota for white males, and need to take this less qualified out of state applicant.

Race or Gender should never be a consideration.
    Take the most qualified in every instance.
    The quotas in colleges in general help White's since they require a lower score then Asians to get in an then it is even lower for blacks. (not saying I think it should exist) but really it should be Asians instead of white males in your post.

- - - Updated - - -

Feel free to look it up yourself, boys and girls don't even choose the same toys ffs. Stop being obtuse, Why aren't there equal numbers of female ditch diggers, trashmen, plumbers and gunsmiths. Because of mug sexism?

"Forced diversity" is a good thing in business because it encourages a variety of ideas. An echo chamber of 20 old white guys with functionally identical backgrounds is how you get businesses that fail to connect to their consumers and cannot fathom why.

This is so stupid... so if a man's more qualified than a woman, you'd still have the woman instead because of this quota?

Yeah... so much for "equal rights"... this is nothing else but enabling.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2016-12-14 at 07:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Feel free to look it up yourself, boys and girls don't even choose the same toys ffs.
    I'd really like to see the experiment in which children in isolation choose different toys based on sex.

Stop being obtuse, Why aren't there equal numbers of female ditch diggers, trashmen, plumbers and gunsmiths. Because of mug sexism?
    Culture is a factor in this, yes.

Deleted
    should be simple for everyone to understand.
    Should not matter one blind bit of difference their race, gender, sexual orientation, or if they are a fucking cheese Dorito eating midget in a clown suit.

If they are the right person to get the job done, then they get it.