Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    The President does not represent any state or states. Again why we have other 2 branches to have checks and balances.

POTUS is the defacto leader of his/her party. Even if the candidate promised if elected the 10 most populous states would never have to pay taxes again. Congress would still need to pass the bill and of course then we have SCOTUS.
    You can argue until you're blue what the Presidency represents to you. Clearly, as we have an electoral college in place, it represents something different than you think it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I dunno Davey, maybe because the Senate represents the states.

Personally I don't like that -either-.
    People still cannot grasp that POTUS does not represent a state(s).
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

People still cannot grasp that POTUS does not represent a state(s).
    Exactly, it's meant to represent the interests of the country as a whole, not the cities of the Coasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    You can argue until you're blue what the Presidency represents to you. Clearly, as we have an electoral college in place, it represents something different than you think it should.
    We also had the Three-Fifths Compromise so we could "encourage" southern states in order to ratify the U.S. Constitution. We also had to add an Amendment to let women vote nationally.

My point being that you think the U.S. Constitution should be set in stone. We have made amendments since time has passed and showed its weakness.

I will agree it would be hard to change the EC. Since I know you will probably come back with this weak argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    Exactly, it's meant to represent the interests of the country as a whole, not the cities of the Coasts.
    Your argument is basically "Fuck the coastal cities and "rural" areas are #1" Same argument you think the other side is making. Do you know this?
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

We also had the Three-Fifths Compromise so we could "encourage" southern states in order to ratify the U.S. Constitution. We also had to add an Amendment to let women vote nationally.

My point being that you think the U.S. Constitution should be set in stone. We have made amendments since time has passed and showed its weakness.

I will agree it would be hard to change the EC. Since I know you will probably come back with this weak argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Your argument is basically "Fuck the coastal cities and "rural" areas are #1" Same argument you think the other side is making. Do you know this?
    Get to work on those ammendments, then. I've been waiting on someone to fix this "woefully broken" voting system since 2000. Guess it wasn't a big deal during the Obama term.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Get to work on those ammendments, then. I've been waiting on someone to fix this "woefully broken" voting system since 2000. Guess it wasn't a big deal during the Obama term.
    Oh goodness. Generally isn't a problem when you win the popular and electoral college. I'm sure people were not saying anything in the 2004 election when Bush won both.

More importantly, anecdotally I have always thought the EC was stupid when I first learned about it in High School. Tooltip: I graduated H.S. before Obama was elected.

Secondly we actually had 2 threads on the EC before this election in the past year and half. Of course you will not look that up.

Also since it show that demographics are changing (sorry people move and live in urban areas) in the past years. in the past 5 Presidential elections this has happened. Is this a trend or an anomaly?

Oh goodness. Generally isn't a problem when you win the popular and electoral college. I'm sure people were not saying anything in the 2004 election when Bush won both.

More importantly, anecdotally I have always thought the EC was stupid when I first learned about it in High School. Tooltip: I graduated H.S. before Obama was elected.

Secondly we actually had 2 threads on the EC before this election in the past year and half. Of course you will not look that up.

Also since it show that demographics are changing (sorry people move and live in urban areas) in the past years. in the past 5 Presidential elections this has happened. Is this a trend or an anomaly?
    Electoral College bring an equal say across the entire country. Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan's, and a lot of the other mid-size states votes actually matter. Too say Hillary would win the popular vote is completely wrong...you're forgetting one major thing. Donald Trump ran a campaign to win the Electoral College, not to win the popular vote. He never set foot in California, never put any campaigning effort in New York and a lot of the blue states. He allowed them to win in landslide fashion for Hillary as he determined them not worth the effort.

If it was a popular vote, that would completely change his strategy, it would change HIllary as well. Hillary never set foot in Texas and a lot of the pure "red states." Electoral College makes the candidates have to appeal to all the states...if it was a pure popular vote...would any of them every set foot in Iowa or New Hampshire...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelz View Post
    He has had a life-long interest and passion for politics and considered running in 2012, but his son was quite young at the time so he decided not to. That is much different than a B-list pop singer whose only real political "experience" comes from CNN buzzwords and false reporting.
    Trump considering running and some B-list pop singer, do not show a differance in political experience. It's the same 0... and Trump's political experience comes from propagating those very buzzwords, like birther... Trump reported a Screen Actors Guild pension, being a B-list pop star, doesn't get you a union pension.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by AzazeltheRuthless View Post
    Electoral College bring an equal say across the entire country. Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan's, and a lot of the other mid-size states votes actually matter. Too say Hillary would win the popular vote is completely wrong...you're forgetting one major thing. Donald Trump ran a campaign to win the Electoral College, not to win the popular vote. He never set foot in California, never put any campaigning effort in New York and a lot of the blue states. He allowed them to win in landslide fashion for Hillary as he determined them not worth the effort.

If it was a popular vote, that would completely change his strategy, it would change HIllary as well. Hillary never set foot in Texas and a lot of the pure "red states." Electoral College makes the candidates have to appeal to all the states...if it was a pure popular vote...would any of them every set foot in Iowa or New Hampshire...
    So your conclusion is. Donald would have ran a different campaign, butHillary would not have. Good to know

Anecdotally, I turned 18 just in time for the first Obama campaign. Even with how mad everyone was at Bush for winning in 2000, I never saw a problem with the system. It looked like people being mad they lost the actual contest. (Spoiler: People though Bush winning in 2004 was garbage. It has nothing to do with the system.)

16 years. 16 years it took for anyone to give a shit again. And it will pass quietly into the night since rhetoric like this shares a shelf life with contesting the results of an election.

Don't mistake my calling people full of shit as some belief the Republican party is above petty whining or calls of rigging when the shoe is on the other foot.

10+ Year Old Account

Why wouldn't they step foot in Iowa?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    is it normal for celebs to do this? Because that seems rather... odd..

Who gives a rats ass over the entertainment. I'm sure trump and his team have a lot more serious things to consider besides the feelings of popstars. Beyoncé, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga could drop off the face of the face of the earth tomarrow and I'm sure the earth would continue to rotate.

if it was a pure popular vote...would any of them every set foot in Iowa or New Hampshire...
    Since with a popular vote the only thing that matters is the absolute number of votes (in other words, every vote actually counts), yeah they probably would have.

Hold a rally in Des Moines or Cedar Rapids with populations in excess of 100,000; have 30-50,000 show up, and achieve the same effect as 50,000 people showing up to see you in Pensacola. So why not campaign in Iowa?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Fun Fact: Most of them don't come to America illegally.

Funner Fact: They cannot, by definition, be criminals unless convicted of a crime.

Funnest Fact: It is about as illegal to be in the US without a visa/greencard/citizenship as it is to jaywalk.
    It is more illegal to jaywalk in some places, heh. Jaywalking is a misdemeanor in some places, and letting your visa expire isn't even a criminal charge, it's a civil charge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelz View Post
    He has had a life-long interest and passion for politics and considered running in 2012, but his son was quite young at the time so he decided not to. That is much different than a B-list pop singer whose only real political "experience" comes from CNN buzzwords and false reporting.
    I have an interest in politics, that does not mean I am qualified to be a politician though, just as some of these pop singers might have an interest. Even if they don't, the point is kinda moot, they aren't asking to be included as part of this, they are being asked to be a part.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Ah Kanye. I recall President Obama making a comment about him. What was it again?
    Obama would make a comment, but Kanye didn't let him to finish. But at least he's happy for him.
    I'm sure Trump will be one of the best presidents of all time. Of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Anecdotally, I turned 18 just in time for the first Obama campaign. Even with how mad everyone was at Bush for winning in 2000, I never saw a problem with the system. It looked like people being mad they lost the actual contest. (Spoiler: People though Bush winning in 2004 was garbage. It has nothing to do with the system.)

16 years. 16 years it took for anyone to give a shit again. And it will pass quietly into the night since rhetoric like this shares a shelf life with contesting the results of an election.

Don't mistake my calling people full of shit as some belief the Republican party is above petty whining or calls of rigging when the shoe is on the other foot.
    Do you know the definition of a trend? First time in 2000, okay. It now happens again. Maybe its a trend that the EC maybe outdated since back in fucking 1700's they didn't know the U.S. would become 8 times larger and jobs and living would be created in the cities.

Also I can't believe we ignore the slave issue, plus the "elite" actually thought the general populous was not smart enough to elect the most capable person. Blah, blah, blah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    Who gives a rats ass over the entertainment. I'm sure trump and his team have a lot more serious things to consider besides the feelings of popstars. Beyoncé, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga could drop off the face of the face of the earth tomarrow and I'm sure the earth would continue to rotate.
    Can be said about almost everybody, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    Do realize what a STAR FUCKER Trump is? Trump loves celebrity. He just talks shit about them since they will not let him in their little club.

Yes. We can both stand our high moral ground and state; "Why do worship celebs." Nothing wrong with that. There is irony coming from Trump.

He saw Kanye West on a whim. Why did he see him? National security?