Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Teen who shot herself in front of her parents is still being bullied

(CNN)Raul Vela, who watched his daughter die two weeks ago, doesn't want peace or quiet. He wants action.

Brandy Vela, 18, shot herself in front of her parents after being relentlessly cyberbullied. The Texas teen, who was described by her school as well-liked and friendly, was buried December 7. By Friday, someone had opened a social media page in her memory, but it was quickly filled with disturbing posts about her; the cyberbullying literally following her to the grave.
    Her father is fighting back.

"The continued harassment reported by Mr. Vela is being investigated," Texas City police Capt. Joe Stanton said. "We currently do not have any suspects or persons of interest identified."

The harassment continues
    "Two days after her funeral, somebody opened up a social media page in her name," Vela said, "and people thought the family did it, so it started with people putting sincere condolences. After a few minutes, either four people or the same person posting four times said some things harassing Brandy about being a big fat cow, writing 'you finally did it' with a picture of a gun, writing 'you're a coward,' 'you should have done this a long time ago,' some really horrific things."

The Vela family provided screenshots of the posts, but CNN is not publishing them because of their offensive nature.
    One of the posts shows a smiling Brandy with the words "my face when you shoot yourself in front of your family." Another is a stick figure holding a gun with the words, "oops am I dead?" A third shows a gun hidden inside a book.

"People are more likely to write horrible things when they think they're being anonymous," said psychologist Susan Swearer, co-founder of the Bullying Research Network. "From a psychological perspective, people who write horrible things about other people, particularly after they've passed away, they have their own mental health issues."

She says Vela did the right thing by reporting the social media pages to authorities.
    "When people feel emboldened to write mean and hurtful things about other people, they'll just extend it to siblings or families," Swearer said.
    Vela, whose family was avoiding social media in the wake of Brandy's death, said the posts were first brought to their attention by friends.
    Shortly after the news of Brandy's death broke, people also began attacking Vela online, he said.
    "People were putting comments about me saying that I should have done something different, so I blocked it all. I'm not reading it anymore," he said.

"They're still harassing her, but she's no longer with us, so it's more like they're harassing me and my family."
    Police have told the Velas that they'll be able to trace the posts, and the culprits will be prosecuted.

Vela can't change what happened to his daughter, so he's trying to persuade state lawmakers to increase restrictions on social media, making it harder for cyberbullies to stay anonymous.

He met with local legislators and community representatives and says they came up with good ideas, such as providing specialized counseling and mental health support at schools for victims like his daughter.

"Right now, my job is to raise awareness. I'm not trying to blame people or point fingers. I want people who are still being bullied to know that I want to change things. I feel like she put this in my hands to try and get help for people in the same situation. It's unfortunate that something tragic has to happen to make changes come," Vela said
    He said he wants every police department in the nation to have at least one officer trained to pursue cyberbullying crimes. He called Brandy's death a murder, saying she was pushed to the breaking point.
    "I feel like these people are cowards, these people hiding behind the texts and fake pages. They're the ones who pushed her to this point. She lost all her self-esteem, lost all her self-worth," he said.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/14/he...rnd/index.html

How awful.

There's no reason to protect cyberbullying. Let them face the heat.
    Last edited by Tennis; 2016-12-15 at 04:00 AM.

It's sad that this is happening and I feel bad for the family and friends but where do you draw the line on "cyberbullying." at what point does it go from just being an asshole to "cyberbullying." It would be a slippery slope after the first precedence is made.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

How can you bully someone who is dead?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

The bullies won the sec she pulled the trigger. And to quote a cute tiny Korean "I play to win" GGWP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It's sad that this is happening and I feel bad for the family and friends but where do you draw the line on "cyberbullying." at what point does it go from just being an asshole to "cyberbullying." It would be a slippery slope after the first precedence is made.

When we sent the perpetrators off to bootcamp it will send a message. We just need to find them.

7+ Year Old Account
    That's hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    When we sent the perpetrators off to bootcamp it will send a message. We just need to find them.
    Ok I'm sorry. I thought you would be capable of having an intelligent conversation but you aren't even willing to answer the questions I've raised to you. I'm out.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    when you're dead you're pretty much guaranteed to be picked last for gym class

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    damnit, i'm agreeing with tennisace.... help me!
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Cant wait until the people who posted it are exposed. Lets see how much cojones they have when confronted in person...

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Ouija board

Ok I'm sorry. I thought you would be capable of having an intelligent conversation but you aren't even willing to answer the questions I've raised to you. I'm out.
    Be honest with yourself, did you really expect anything else?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you think committing suicide will make the people who didn't like you feel bad, you're wrong. Killing yourself only lets them win.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Seditian View Post
    Be honest with yourself, did you really expect anything else?
    Was trying to give him a fair chance.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Was trying to give him a fair chance.
    Fair enough.

Whatever differences we all might have regarding Cyberbullying...can we all at least agree that continuing in this fashion after she killed herself is some shit-tier behaviour?

This reminds me of the recent South Park series, it's terrible but it's quite crazy how on point they are with their observations!
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Cyberbullying is a joke. People are allowed to have mean opinions of others. If you can't handle it, either get offline or learn to browse the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    See, take away the wedgies, the swirlies, the 3 o'clock beatdowns and rampant shit like this happens. Stop cyberbullying; beat the snot out of an angsty teen today.

Oh look, more fake news :/

It is objectively impossible to bully a dead person.

Second, nothing mentioned in the article is bullying. Shit-talking and memes are not bullying.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD