10+ Year Old Account

[Mage] A tale of two Devilsaurs

So, short and sweet:

I have 2 devilsaur shock batons. 1 is 860 (968crit, 110 to 122k proc damage). 1 is 845 with socket (915crit.. but can be gemmed to 1065 crit, 96 to 106k proc damage). I know crit is king, and the actual damage contribution from the proc varies fight to fight, but simcraft keeps flip flopping on which is better. My other trinket is Heroic Sinew. How do I reconcile which baton to use?
    "When you build it, you love it!"

845 with gem. It wins if you weight crit>>int

10+ Year Old Account
    Increase the amount of simulated fights to a whole lot more and be patient a bit while it runs them all so you'll get more accurate results.
    My magic will tear you apart.

Sim it yourself, any answer here would be more loosely based on sim results anyway

To the OP, I'm in a similar situation with an 855 baton and 845 baton + gem.

I gain like 110 crit, which doesn't change much, if I switch to the socketed. I'd rather have the baton that deals more damage on longer boss fights.

Sorry, I'm not a believer in "simcraft rules all".

Quote Originally Posted by shaft4783 View Post

I gain like 110 crit, which doesn't change much, if I switch to the socketed. I'd rather have the baton that deals more damage on longer boss fights.

Simcraft is king when it comes to weighing different items.

It fails to give accurate dps numbers but it will always be good at deciding between trinkets because you are looking at them in a vacuum.

Crit effects all of your spells, trinket damage effects only your trinket. The answer is obvious. Sims are better than feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Simcraft is king when it comes to weighing different items.

It fails to give accurate dps numbers but it will always be good at deciding between trinkets because you are looking at them in a vacuum.

Crit effects all of your spells, trinket damage effects only your trinket. The answer is obvious. Sims are better than feelings.
    I think you missed the part where he said simcraft kept flip flopping on which was better. Hence my statement of rolling with the higher damage from proc.

If simcraft keeps flip flopping, it certainly isn't King for this situation.

If simcraft keeps "flip flopping it means the resuslts are within a margin of error and therefore both trinkets are euqal.
    And simcraft beets any "feelings" for deciding sich things.

I think you missed the part where he said simcraft kept flip flopping on which was better. Hence my statement of rolling with the higher damage from proc.

If simcraft keeps flip flopping, it certainly isn't King for this situation.
    Simcraft is "flip flopping" because of how close the trinkets are. It's still king.

Also my response was to your trinkets, not his.

10+ Year Old Account

Simcraft rules all because it uses imperical mathematics to determine an optimal path. "I'd rather" has no basis on actual math. You also forget that while the damage proc may happen more on a longer boss fight, that passive crit that is affecting every spell is also working longer. I was doing both 300/600 seconds, at 10,000/25,000 iterations.

But it's moot now, I got heroic TF (875) Twisting Wind this morning from EN follower mission cache.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    So, short and sweet:

I have 2 devilsaur shock batons. 1 is 860 (968crit, 110 to 122k proc damage). 1 is 845 with socket (915crit.. but can be gemmed to 1065 crit, 96 to 106k proc damage). I know crit is king, and the actual damage contribution from the proc varies fight to fight, but simcraft keeps flip flopping on which is better. My other trinket is Heroic Sinew. How do I reconcile which baton to use?
    I think you obviously need to loot a 880 with socket to solve the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by faguoren View Post
    I think you obviously need to loot a 880 with socket to solve the problem.
    Clearly. /10char

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    Simcraft rules all because it uses imperical mathematics to determine an optimal path. "I'd rather" has no basis on actual math. You also forget that while the damage proc may happen more on a longer boss fight, that passive crit that is affecting every spell is also working longer. I was doing both 300/600 seconds, at 10,000/25,000 iterations.

But it's moot now, I got heroic TF (875) Twisting Wind this morning from EN follower mission cache.
    I wouldnt trust sims with Twisting Wind. Last time I checked it was highly overvalued. It might be good when the statchange comes, but the proc is garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    I wouldnt trust sims with Twisting Wind. Last time I checked it was highly overvalued. It might be good when the statchange comes, but the proc is garbage.
    It's hard to pin down. I mean sometimes a single target will get multiple cyclones.. sometimes just one.. and in rare cases none at all (non-elite trash sometimes), I agree that outside of raid or well controlled mobs it is almost worthless.. in a raid however, where the boss is going to be in a predictable position and (outside of Ursoc H/M) relatively still, the trinket procs have the ability to shine. Fights like Dragons/Ilgyn/helya are especially nice for it since it is not limited to one target.

This isn't really a question, use the higher Ilvl one, Crit is king but if you're above 60% the additional 150 there isn't going to compare to the higher proc of the higher level Shock Batton, I am also jealous of a 860 one I've gotten 8 of them and the highest its ever rolled for me is 845 its sad that it does the same damage as a Mythic Horror Slime.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have both as well. I use the 860 one purely because of the proc and the fact that I have 62% crit anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.