Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Being whispered for gear in current raids and transmog runs...

Does anyone mind being whispered for gear, or would they prefer it if the person asked in raid chat? I don't mind giving people gear if I already have it, but being whispered so much annoys me (Even if it's still a minor gripe of having to be in these runs), but I do my best to ignore it.

Anyone else been in a similar situation?
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like people doing that either, I rather people wait to see if something is announced in chat about it.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    Most people's solution to this is, to not loot because they'll get it in the mailbox after the instance anyway.

I am not sure why you find it annoying to be honest. I whisper (or did, account is currently canceled), out of courtesy to the other people there. Why would I make a hunter read me asking a mage if he needs a piece of cloth?

Writing in raid chat is much more likely to remain unread considering the spam from items and addons in the raid, or people don't get they are referrenced at all.
    A whisper is direct way to communicate with the other player. Just ignore them or reply with a no.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    Does anyone mind being whispered for gear, or would they prefer it if the person asked in raid chat? I don't mind giving people gear if I already have it, but being whispered so much annoys me (Even if it's still a minor gripe of having to be in these runs), but I do my best to ignore it.

If i am in a raid, pug/LFR and it see that PLH add on...i don't give people shit. I find it very intrusive. And it should be a bannable addon, it causes so much drama.

I don't run loot addons to know if someone is tryna scam me out of some vendor gold, but I don't really mind being asked. If I think about it, i'll offer up drops I don't need from LFR.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post

It's fine, i'm not enchanter so I dont mind passing around gear I dont need. Being whispered is not annoying for me at all, but that's just me, I'm an officer in my guild and I get bombarded by them constantly.
    Normally whispers are used because they are more noticable. Many people use Elv UI por example, and it gives you a sound notification if someone whispers you.

I honestly see no problem with this? I rather people deal with it through tells instead of clogging raid chat.

That being said if you have two plus people whisper you for tmog I would tell them to do a /roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Banard View Post
    If i am in a raid, pug/LFR and it see that PLH add on...i don't give people shit. I find it very intrusive. And it should be a bannable addon, it causes so much drama.
    This. If an individual messages me I do not mind telling them yes or no, but if PLH goes off, even if it's the biggest downgrade possible, no one is getting that item for the simple reason that it promotes people messaging you, and in many cases repeatedly because they know the item is a downgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah I don't have a problem with people whispering me. I do have a problem if I say no and someone inspects me and says "But it's not even an upgrade!" Like, I'll gladly give away something I don't need/want but if I'm holding onto a piece of gear it's for a reason.

7+ Year Old Account
    I never whisper to anyone, I don't like to beg for stuff. If they let people roll for an item I roll if no then I don't say anything even if I need that item cuz it's other's decision what to do with it. There was one guy in LFR who gave me a gloves that dropped for him and it was titanforged and was perfect for me. He gave it to me only because I was the only one not asking for them

If somebody else asks me I am a bit annoyed but I give them the items anyway.

Also I hate that Add-on that announces upgrades into chat for others.. it feels like lootshaming .. makes me feel bad when I don't want to trade that item to someone who might need it better. IT's my item, my decision.

I don't mind whispers at all. I try to give away every piece of gear I get that I'm not going to equip for one of my specs. Don't really know why you wouldn't want to, unless you're hurting for gold or just kind of bitter or something.

I don't even really think the addon is a big deal. Sometimes I'll assume nobody needs something (like in a daily heroic) and that will let me know that they do.

I find it very annoying. It feels comparable to being begged for change at the off ramp of the freeway. The worst part is that fucking addon that announces what you have and that you don't need the item.

The strange thing is that I don't actually mind handing over gear that I don't need, but the interaction itself is unpleasant and obnoxious. My suggestion would be to give some type of subtle loot assignment option to you. Like, you get some 860 boots. You right click the item while it's still tradeable, then you see an option that says, "share loot" or "pass loot" and then it shows you the rest of the party and how much of an upgrade it is to them or something and you can quickly/quietly send it to them without saying anything or opening a trade window, kinda like how loot masters assign raid loot.

There's no harm done in asking really. Just respond with your answer. If it's happening all the time I guess I could see how that could be a little annoying to you, but no need to take it out on the people just asking a reasonable question.

I'd rather people whisper than put it in raid chat. Putting it in raid chat is just asking for others whom it doesn't concern to get involved, it's between you two and that's what whisper is for.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Nah I don't have a problem with people whispering me. I do have a problem if I say no and someone inspects me and says "But it's not even an upgrade!" Like, I'll gladly give away something I don't need/want but if I'm holding onto a piece of gear it's for a reason.
    Exactly this. I don't mind people whispering me, and I'd rather whisper them than clog Raid channel. But whatever the answer is, is the answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind being whispered, on the contrary. I use WIM so I can see whispers much easier than actual raid/group chat.
    The 'asking for gear' thing is ok with me. If I don't need the gear, you can have it.
    It's not like vendoring/sharding it is such a big income of gold right?
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE | Intel Core i9-9900k | 32GB RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 | ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER

I whisper and don't mind getting whispered.

I know not everyone runs a loot addon.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

If people demand loot from me and say "give or kick" then you can fuck right off. If they ask politely however then I'll consider it unless I need the mats for enchanting.