Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Injin View Post
    http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/WoW_population_by_country

Righto, about 75% of the total possible population is missing from the data.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but if the expansion is about catering to casual players, and only hardcore raiding realms are collecting data, then it won't tell you if the goal of legion (keeping casuals around) has been achieved.
    Lol dude, stop saying only hardcore mythic raiding realms are collecting data. ALL North American realms have data, and you can use the drop down box to view individual realms if you'd like.

But only on some realms, and those realms are primarily the hardcore/mythic raiding ones.
    It doesn't matter if you are looking for tendencies and relative data.

Ie, there are 100 realms, it only counts 50, so what. If it reports a downturn, that downturn is yes, from these 50 realms, but due to how numbers work (and since the server selection is unbiased wrt measurement purposes), the other realms that aren't measured have that downturn as well.

Sum total - we can't use that data for absolute numbers, but we may be able to use them for relative numbers like whether things go up or down and to what levels. (I am using "may", but that's because I just want to be absolutely correct, it's very, very likely that "may" is "yes, we can use data for that". Because, again, math.)

Yet, people like that anyway.

Most players like to go up in power relative to a fixed standard, they don't want extra difficulty.
    i know, you are repeating me what i'm saying.

i was correcting your "they like having stuff to do", which is wrong and it looks like you agree, they care about their power progression.
    stuff to do could still be there even without rewards, but since they only care about the progression removing it will feels like you are removing their stuff to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    ccording to this alliance seem to be having FAR more fun in Legion
    Higher activity doesn't mean more fun, it just means more players online.

A game being fun is one of the (many) factors that take sinfluence on how many active players there are, but it's not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    It doesn't matter if you are looking for tendencies and relative data.

Ie, there are 100 realms, it only counts 50, so what. If it reports a downturn, that downturn is yes, from these 50 realms, but due to how numbers work (and since the server selection is unbiased wrt measurement purposes), the other realms that aren't measured have that downturn as well.

Sum total - we can't use that data for absolute numbers, but we may be able to use them for relative numbers like whether things go up or down and to what levels. (I am using "may", but that's because I just want to be absolutely correct, it's very, very likely that "may" is "yes, we can use data for that". Because, again, math.)
    This. I don't know why the EU data is wonky compared to NA data, but even if only 20% of EU realms had data and all of that data showed the same conclusion, it's extremely likely the other realms will show the same. But yeah, I think EU is missing data because of the language the mod is available in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    This. im constantly surrounded by people and never have an issue finding a group.
    Same. Lots of people everywhere (EU)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapped View Post
    Maybe this post should've been about NA realms then I suppose. That Census Mod isn't localized to support all languages, and if those realms aren't localized yet, they won't have any data. However, I am seeing all 246 North American realms listed at http://www.warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php?sort=Total

North American realms consist of:
    226 US realms
    5 Brazilian realms
    3 Latin American realms
    12 Oceanic Realms.

For a total of 246.
    I have a question.

Have you read the disclamier at the bottom of that page?

I will post the important part here.

If the number you see is red, then there have been less than 50 data snapshots submitted for this server/faction in the last 30 days. This is BAD and we need more info on those realm/factions!

How many Red numbers do you see on the US page?

This data is terrible.

I have a suggestion, if your having fun playing WoW carry on, if your not then don't.
    Last edited by mmoc3dde1cb131; 2016-12-16 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    If the number you see is red, then there have been less than 50 data snapshots submitted for this server/faction in the last 30 days. This is BAD and we need more info on those realm/factions!
    That's just a feeling placed by the author from how many samples were there when the addon was just starting and was getting regular updates.

We should run the math, but the numbers *for region-wide month-scale tendencies* likely start making sense with just 2-3 snapshots per realm per month.

Deleted
    That's just a feeling placed by the author from how many samples were there when the addon was just starting and was getting regular updates.

We should run the math, but the numbers *for region-wide month-scale tendencies* likely start making sense with just 2-3 snapshots per realm per month.
    Sure, the author of the site says the data is bad.

But the haters on MMO-C says the data proves exactly whatever point they want to.

./sigh

Sure, the author of the site says the data is bad.

But the haters on MMO-C says the data proves exactly whatever point they want to.

./sigh
    I am going from math.

You are going from wanting to call people haters and thinking nobody actually has a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    Same. Lots of people everywhere (EU)
    1. crz.
    2. this is simply how networks work. if you have a relative large number of people on a realm, all the people on that realm will feel like there are a lot of people.
    for example, 100 server with 10 people in each, but 1010 people on the first server.
    you have 2000 (1010 + 10*99) people on 100 server, so in average 20 people per server.
    but on average each player has ~500 people to play with.
    you have 1010 people having 1009 friends, and 990 people having only 9 friend = (1010*1009+990*9)/2000 = 514

a lot of people will feel there are a lot of people, but it is a sampling bias, it doesn't mean there are a lot of people everywhere.

there are some wierd things that happens on networks, just look for the friendship paradox for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    I noticed the game world to be more empty then ever before, bot bans helped, but yes the general playerbase dropping this much makes very much sense.

Herbs and Ore everywhere I look, a lot of the times 2-5 nodes on my minimap.
    Your nodes are personal, no one else can see them but you.

Deleted
    I am going from math.

You are going from wanting to call people haters.
    Math with terrible data is terrible math.

I have a question.

Have you read the disclamier at the bottom of that page?

I will post the important part here.

How many Red numbers do you see on the US page?

This data is terrible.

I have a suggestion, if your having fun playing WoW carry on, if your not then don't.
    So only look at green realms if it makes you happy.

Math with terrible data is terrible math.
    Please explain what exactly the author says that less than 50 samples is bad for. Because you seem to think what I am saying contradicts what the author is saying, but it really isn't, it's just that what the author is saying is merely "guys, please put the data in, I will mark up the servers which have less coverage, if you are on that server, come and help" = very vague math, and what I am saying is specific math.

Go figure.

there's a few reasons for the drop off.

1. EN is old news now
    2. ToV is only 3 bosses
    3. it's ramping up to christmas, lots of people i know and play with have to take time away from game to sort out christmas shit, such as decorating, shopping, wrapping, going to organised christmas events and work socials.
    4. new raid in the new year, activity will ramp back up then
    5. lack of alt friendly content - unless you are pretty hardcore, you're probably not bothering with alts until the AP catch systems are in game.

someone in the guild had a panic that the guild was going to fall apart after we were a couple people short of a raid group, which coincided with november payday weekend, work christmas parties and decorating of peoples houses and other stuff.

he was reassured the following week when we went from 8 raiders to 15 and slammed through EN in an hour.

so yea, time of year + slowdown in content + unfavourable alt levelling = low player count this time of year.
    <insert witty signature here>

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    I noticed the game world to be more empty then ever before, bot bans helped, but yes the general playerbase dropping this much makes very much sense.

Herbs and Ore everywhere I look, a lot of the times 2-5 nodes on my minimap.
    you know that everyone gets herb/ore nodes right? if you get to it before someone else...it's still there for that someone else...

Come back when you have the activity curve from wrath onwards. You will always see peaks when a new expansion hits. Then look at activity in relation to sub numbers. Example: 10m subs with 1m activity versus 5m subs with 0.5m activity is exactly the same proportional activity.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    you know that everyone gets herb/ore nodes right? if you get to it before someone else...it's still there for that someone else...
    Part of that is true, but nodes still despawn after maybe 15 seconds after the first person looted it.

The expansion as a whole is fine. The problem I see, and this is my personal reason so im not saying this is the problem for every, is the loot rng. I just got my third legendary....it happens to be meh. It's really discouraging to get a legendary and not have it be "the good one(s)". They should either let them drop plentifully so we will get all of them relatively quickly and adjust on a fight by fight basis, or let us choose with frequent drops on the "tokens" to choose as well. I would LOVE to get some resto/elemental legendaries but im not going to have anything but enhance be my loot priority until I get the ring. Then you have TF items, I know numerous people with numerous 895 gear. I've seen one drop between raids/M+/Heroics/etc. Not a fan of being behind someone gear wise thanks to loot rng.