Question Help/advice needed (Fire dps)

Hello everyone!

Long-time mage forum lurker, but posting for the first time. It feels pretty embarrassing, but I seem to need some help or advice concerning my DPS and was hoping that you could take a look at my logs and armoury and maybe point out what I'm doing wrong.

So, at the start of Legion I swapped over to mage, a class I'd been playing on and off as an alt since Cataclysm, but never mained. Recently, as my guild finished Mythic Emerald Nightmare, I've noticed that although my item level had been going up gradually, I've started parsing worse and worse on fights, most of the time sitting somewhere in the green or blue percentiles, rarely seeing purple. It's been nagging at me for a while now, since I am not sure what exactly it is that I'm doing wrong, so I decided to make a post here asking for your help. I've been reading each and every guide for fire mages that I can find out there, checked the forums here, checked Altered Time, read Lexichu's guide, checked some videos on YouTube, compared logs to other mages of similar ilvl. Obviously I make mistakes here and there, but I'm trying to do my best, and it just doesn't seem to be working.

Below are my most recent logs from our Mythic run, as well as my armoury link. At the time, I was at 34 Artifact traits. The relics I'm using currently are 875 Everburning Consumption, 880 Everburning Consumption, and 860 Great Balls of Fire, since those are the best ones I've gotten so far to drop (Nelthation's Lair m+ doesn't love me in that regard and hasn't given me the Pyroblast relic even once :|). Sitting at 62% crit after food buff, 16% haste, 10% mastery, and 5% versatility. I guess my mastery could be higher and I've been trying to go for items with crit/mastery on them, but most of the items I see floating around that have crit on them come with haste. The only legendaries RNGesus has given me so far are Belo'vir's Final Stand and Koralon's Burning Touch - so not too great at the moment. (Speaking of which, despite the legendary, I'm still not using Scorch sub-25%, because people say it's a DPS loss compared to Fireball, plus doesn't lower the CD of Combustion through Kindling.)

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...XD6TkF#fight=2
    Armoury: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ABtsu/advanced

I'm working on getting the Aran trinket at the moment, since everyone seems to be using it. I would appreciate if you guys could take a look at me and tell me if there is something obvious that I'm doing wrong that I'm not seeing. Is it something I'm doing badly rotation-wise (if we can call it that) or is it a matter of a few small things put together, or both (or something else entirely)? Thank you very much in advance for any help you can provide!
    Last edited by Mangetsu; 2016-12-16 at 10:27 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangetsu View Post
    Hello everyone!

Long-time mage forum lurker, but posting for the first time. It feels pretty embarrassing, but I seem to need some help or advice concerning my DPS and was hoping that you could take a look at my logs and armoury and maybe point out what I'm doing wrong.

So, at the start of Legion I swapped over to mage, a class I'd been playing on and off as an alt since Cataclysm, but never mained. Recently, as my guild finished Mythic Emerald Nightmare, I've noticed that although my item level had been going up gradually, I've started parsing worse and worse on fights, most of the time sitting somewhere in the green or blue percentiles, rarely seeing purple. It's been nagging at me for a while now, since I am not sure what exactly it is that I'm doing wrong, so I decided to make a post here asking for your help. I've been reading each and every guide for fire mages that I can find out there, checked the forums here, checked Altered Time, read Lexichu's guide, checked some videos on YouTube, compared logs to other mages of similar ilvl. Obviously I make mistakes here and there, but I'm trying to do my best, and it just doesn't seem to be working.

Below are my most recent logs from our Mythic run, as well as my armoury link. At the time, I was at 34 Artifact traits. The relics I'm using currently are 875 Everburning Consumption, 880 Everburning Consumption, and 860 Great Balls of Fire, since those are the best ones I've gotten so far to drop (Nelthation's Lair m+ doesn't love me in that regard and hasn't given me the Pyroblast relic even once :|). Sitting at 62% crit after food buff, 16% haste, 10% mastery, and 5% versatility. I guess my mastery could be higher and I've been trying to go for items with crit/mastery on them, but most of the items I see floating around that have crit on them come with haste. The only legendaries RNGesus has given me so far are Belo'vir's Final Stand and Koralon's Burning Touch - so not too great at the moment. (Speaking of which, despite the legendary, I'm still not using Scorch sub-25%, because people say it's a DPS loss compared to Fireball, plus doesn't lower the CD of Combustion through Kindling.)

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...XD6TkF#fight=2
    Armoury: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ABtsu/advanced

I'm working on getting the Aran trinket at the moment, since everyone seems to be using it. I would appreciate if you guys could take a look at me and tell me if there is something obvious that I'm doing wrong that I'm not seeing. Is it something I'm doing badly rotation-wise (if we can call it that) or is it a matter of a few small things put together, or both (or something else entirely)? Thank you very much in advance for any help you can provide!
    Have you tried running your mage through simcraft? What's your single target dps there? From what I can tell, your output is pretty much in line with what fire mages without bracers can accomplish nowadays.

Deleted
    You cannot rely on rankings to know if you play well. Depends on your equipment.

atm i think you have at least one bad trinket with haste.
    good ilvl but it's obvisously not the best one.

The way you will play fire spec on 7.1.5 will probably be different anyway, don't change anything to your play style until then.

[EDIT : and you should use scorch in place of fireball at the end since you have the adapted legendary.]
    Last edited by mmoc5be3929c9d; 2016-12-16 at 10:50 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by faguoren View Post
    You cannot rely on rankings to know if you play well. Depends on your equipment.

atm i think you have at least one bad trinket with haste.
    good ilvl but it's obvisously not the best one.

The way you will play fire spec on 7.1.5 will probably be different anyway, don't change anything to your play style until then.
    Ehm, the plaguehive is actually one of the best trinkets out there...

As for using scorch; no, you don't completely swap to scorch during execute. You continue using your fireball unless you have to move and you won't be able to trigger a new combustion with kindling due to time.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2016-12-16 at 10:52 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mascarpwn View Post
    very difficult to mesure. lower ilvl with crit and socket could be better.
    Nevermind, 880 is good anyway. I think you are doing well on overall.

Deleted
    very difficult to mesure. lower ilvl with crit and socket could be better.
    Nevermind, 880 is good anyway. I think you are doing well on overall.
    No, it's very easy to measure. You do know all trinkets were simmed right? Even without, the plaguehive's proc, is extremely strong especially in ST situations.

Deleted
    No, it's very easy to measure. You do know all trinkets were simmed right? Even without, the plaguehive's proc, is extremely strong especially in ST situations.
    just look at ranking to check if people use it.
    ... answer is no.
    I don't think we need to argue about that. It is good unless you have something better. Aran's trinket is actually the best available, but you have to be lucky. The same for the marquee. you have it or you do not.

Anyway, it will become a bit more difficult to use the marquee properly on 7.1.5. Hopefully rankings will not rely as much as now on the luck you have when opening a chest.

Deleted
    just look at ranking to check if people use it.
    ... answer is no.
    I don't think we need to argue about that. It is good unless you have something better. Aran's trinket is actually the best available, but you have to be lucky. The same for the marquee. you have it or you do not.

Anyway, it will become a bit more difficult to use the marquee properly on 7.1.5. Hopefully rankings will not rely as much as now on the luck you have when opening a chest.
    Aran's isn't better on ST mate. Both the baton and the plaguehive are better. Aran's shines on multitarget fights though. 'Shines', it's actually ridiculously overpowered.

Deleted
    Aran's isn't better on ST mate. Both the baton and the plaguehive are better. Aran's shines on multitarget fights though. 'Shines', it's actually ridiculously overpowered.
    Arans is bis ST, and incredibly broken on AOE. 860 chested arans on ST does about 3 times more proc dmg than plaguehive, and it can never go to waste since its not a dot.

Devilsaur got nerfed, its a starting point in gearing, far from being top trinket.

Sinew, bough and arcanocrystal are all better choices than Plaguehive.

It feels like you don't have better trinket, so you are trying to convince the rest its good so you feel fine for using it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tishko View Post
    Arans is bis ST, and incredibly broken on AOE. 860 chested arans on ST does about 3 times more proc dmg than plaguehive, and it can never go to waste since its not a dot.

Devilsaur got nerfed, its a starting point in gearing, far from being top trinket.

Sinew, bough and arcanocrystal are all better choices than Plaguehive.

It feels like you don't have better trinket, so you are trying to convince the rest its good so you feel fine for using it.
    My main's a rogue, so I don't really care about what you think is a better trinket. I do have the plaguehive on my alt-mage and it does about 6mil damage (which is about as much as 2 sinew usages) on ST.

I'll use one of our Nythendra mythic kills as an exmple:

My alt's plaguehive did 5.7mil damage total, while the other mage's Aran's did 3.05mil damage and the third mage's shockleashe did a whopping 6.17mil damage. On Dragons though, his Aran's did over 20mil damage. I won't even mention Helya...

If you want to know the exact difference between the plaguehive and Aran's on ST, just sim it. Nevertheless, it's not a bad trinket as faguoren incorrectly suggested. The individual sims on altered time, for example, show this as well.

FYI, the 850 baton is still a top 7 trinket.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2016-12-16 at 01:15 PM.

Deleted
    sim what you like. I suggest you just have a look at rankings on mythic nythendra.
    If you are right, then lots of people ranked in 95% are incorrectly stuffed

FYI, note that aran's trinket rate is nerfed for melee. not for ranged. Since your main is a rogue, this might be misleading you.

As for using scorch; no, you don't completely swap to scorch during execute. You continue using your fireball unless you have to move and you won't be able to trigger a new combustion with kindling due to time.
    yes plague is great but not if it pushes u over 12% haste.. i think your stats r very good for fire im struggling to get to 60% crit with the gear i have.. a chested ruby is so op but i think your numbers r where they should be without bracers as well

Being able to time sinew with Combustion and RoP make it one of the best trinkets. Not to mention the crit.

I suggest to all mages you farm karazhan for the ruby/chest. Use coins strictly for those. So awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by shaft4783 View Post
    I suggest to all mages you farm karazhan for the ruby/chest. Use coins strictly for those. So awesome.
    /signed.

It doesn't matter if AoE or ST: Ruby (+ chest) does around 8-10% of my damage on most fights. It's just an insane combination!

Edit. And its damage on Dragons is just.. broken? I really hope, I'll get lucky and get an upgraded version.. I have base version of chest and ruby, so there's a lot more damage to do if I get lucky with a ruby drop!
    Last edited by Rylalai; 2016-12-17 at 09:02 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saafiaxo View Post
    May I ask why you say this? I was looking at IV and it's ranked 9th? The haste isn't as great as you claim seeing as haste isn't something us fire mages should be aiming for.

I went ahead and tested four different trinkets last night; Devilsaur Shock Baton(855), Caged Horror(850) Wriggling Senew(835)and Plaguehive (I actually have a 875 version from the mythic weekly event) The Devilsaur shock baton seems to proc a lot more, the caged horror I couldn't even get to proc once, and the plaguehive's damage did seem to scale with my crit, hitting about 150k per tick for about 5 ticks, which was actually quite nice)

I'm thinking of ditching Caged horror due to it's proc being awful or me, but plaguehive doesn't really seem like a trinket I should replace it with, mainly because of the haste itself. If it had intellect, I probably would, but the crit from Senew seems like it would benefit me more along with the effect it provides.
    Haste actually sims pretty high for me, since I run with kindling. So while I'd rather have crit, I'm still happy with 63% crit total and a trinket that does ridiculous damage.

The caged horror is absolute shit. From what you have I suspect you'd sim highest with the baton and the plaguehive. Check it out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamberlon View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/p5FjLfD.png

Credit: Altered time Discord
    Yeah, we all know that list. But I still sim 10k higher with the 880 plaguehive than with Aran's on single target and I notice a similar discrepancy on live.

Aran's becomes ridiculously broken when you add at least one other target and it might even surpass the plague hive's proc combined with the chest.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2016-12-17 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks a lot for all the input guys! Appreciate it. As far as trinkets are concerned, I got the 860 version of the Karazhan trinket yesterday, swapped it in instead of Plaguehive, did some heroic bosses (no mythic for now it seems since my guild just went to shit) and it does almost the same amount of damage single target as 880 Plaguehive, not to mention it's simply ridiculous on cleave/AoE.