Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Could you explain those weights to those of us who are American and don't deal drugs?
    You really don't understand the metric system? Most Americans know the metric system and most of us don't deal drugs.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Final argument. if you all think healthy food is expensive (it's not) I am for raising food stamps allowance to allow poor people to eat healthy, we would make it back in Medical expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Because comparing US food prices to EU makes a good argument about food stamps. SMH
    Didn't see you make an argument about food stamps. You made an argument about healthy food being cheap. Which is just false.

Final argument. if you all think healthy food is expensive (it's not) I am for raising food stamps allowance to allow poor people to eat healthy, we would make it back in Medical expenses.
    It's way more expensive than junk foods. But that's a good argument to bring up. Not that Republicans would ever support such "kommunist" idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I wouldn't call it a month's worth of food, just a huge shop. People generally load up on meats, seafood, soda, spices, snacks, and frozen goods. I'm not sure why this is abnormal to you. Do you not live in America? If you do, I find it abnormal that you haven't witnessed this yourself lol.

I'm not even sure what you are really disputing here. That people who use public transportation don't shop at larger super centers or that I'm implying that people using food stamps are relegated to shopping only once a month (which I'm not)?
    Yes, I live in America, and I go to the supermarket every Sunday to get food for that week, which is usually roughly enough food for me to carry by myself, but somehow you have convinced yourself that people are hopping on the bus with four times that.

What I'm disputing here is this bizarre notion that people can shop once per month, which you are already backing down on, because now it's become that people buy spices and soda and snacks once a month, which are the very things you guys are whining that people are using their assistance card for.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a crazy idea: How about you just drop this authoritarian notion that you get to micromanage everyone's life?
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Could you explain those weights to those of us who are American and don't deal drugs?
    Are you attempting to shine with your education level again? Just sometime ago you proved how your education of your own countrys history is worth zip.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Are you attempting to shine with your education level again? Just sometime ago you proved how your education of your own countrys history is worth zip.
    You must not understand what he said. He doesn't deal drugs.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Didn't see you make an argument about food stamps. You made an argument about healthy food being cheap. Which is just false.

In the US, it is. It's no more expensive than junk food. excluding Ramen Noodles. You don't live in the US you can't compare.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    You must not understand what he said. He doesn't deal drugs.
    Well, I mean, if one uses them all up, then there's nothing left to deal with

In the US, it is. It's no more expensive than junk food. excluding Ramen Noodles. You don't live in the US you can't compare.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/health/..._lsa=30a7-df17

"Eating a healthy diet vs. an unhealthy one costs about $1.50 more a day, which might not sound like much, but works out to more than $2,000 more per year on the average family of four’s grocery bill, new research from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) suggests in a study published Thursday."
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    How is government policing what you eat in any way "small government"? Or is the whole getting your panties in a bunch about having government out of your lives only applicable when it suits you personally?

That being said one of the biggest reasons lower income families even go to fast food places is due to the cheap prices of the meals there. That food is in no way healthy for you, but being able to eat healthy on a budget is absolutely not possible equally across the US.

Those in this thread who are justifying this idiotic policy are those who are either privileged to begin with, have never actually lived in a destitute area that has a lack of low-priced healthy food markets available, or are pulling anecdotal evidence out their ass in an attempt to justify this.

Why not just be honest? This has in actuality nothing to do with eating or not eating healthy and everything to do with "my taxes are paying for your meal".
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    I don't work my ass off for anyone else to enjoy the fruits of my labor.
    If you actually had a job, you'd realize how naive this comment was.

You have no fucking clue what you are talking about. Especially since you live in an area that already has readily available places to shop. Not everyone is like you. Again, the closest place to me that has produce and healthy food is over 15 miles away WITH NO PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. No one is going to walk 30 miles to get fresh healthy food. They will just walk to the local grocery store that has double to triple the price of Walmart because they have no other option. So yes, IT IS more expensive to eat healthy. Your anecdotal evidence means fuck all in this argument.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Wow this made stop and think for a minute and then I remembered the whole hi jab/burqa thing being a symbol of hate thing and how you got mad that their was more to the civil war then just slavery. I just wanna say holding on to anger like that isn't a healthy thing and you shouldn't be so spiteful when people provide clear and detailed information that challenges your beliefs. It's healthy to be open minded.

Wow this made stop and think for a minute and then I remembered the whole hi jab/burqa thing being a symbol of hate thing and how you got mad that their was more to the civil war then just slavery. I just wanna say holding on to anger like that isn't a healthy thing and you shouldn't be so spiteful when people provide clear and detailed information that challenges your beliefs. It's healthy to be open minded.
    She was referring to the fact that you think only people in Europe and drug dealers understand and use the metric system.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Good. Now lower the cost of healthy foods as well and well be good. The only reason junk food is such a prevalent purchase is because its so much cheaper then healthy options.

Shouldn't cost $4 for 96 fl of grape juice vs $4 for 132 fl of soda.
    Juice isn't healthy. People that are both short on money and fat shouldn't be buying juice or soda.

- - - Updated - - -

It's way more expensive [healthy food] than junk foods.
    This is flatly false for the majority of things that could reasonably be called "healthy" and "junk". Eating potato chips isn't a cheap way to get full.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Assbandit View Post
    How is government policing what you eat in any way "small government"?
    This isn't the government policing what people eats - it's the government declaring what it will pay for. If people wish to eat things that aren't covered under the program, they're free to use discretionary funds to do so. There is no intrinsic right to have other people buy anything you please.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Yes, I live in America, and I go to the supermarket every Sunday to get food for that week, which is usually roughly enough food for me to carry by myself, but somehow you have convinced yourself that people are hopping on the bus with four times that.

What I'm disputing here is this bizarre notion that people can shop once per month, which you are already backing down on, because now it's become that people buy spices and soda and snacks once a month, which are the very things you guys are whining that people are using their assistance card for.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a crazy idea: How about you just drop this authoritarian notion that you get to micromanage everyone's life?
    I'm not sure where I stepped up so I could back down on people shopping once per month. What I'm trying to convey is that yes, people do huge shops while relying on public transportation. You can spot these people in the store because they have collapseable carts that look like this.

If you've ever been a consistent bus rider, you see people all the time using these to carry their groceries. Likewise, you can go to any supermarket on a bus route and see people waiting on the benchs, going on, or getting off the bus with these carts. Just so we are clear, no, I don't think junk food should be supported by food stamps. People shouldn't be buying soda, energy drinks, candy, ice cream, potato chips, beer, wine, cigarettes, shrimp, lobster, T-bone steaks, or other luxury food or misc items.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    She was referring to the fact that you think only people in Europe and drug dealers understand and use the metric system.
    Well that's not true. Our inner city youth have excellent proficency in the metric system and they don't even use that in school. I use the metric system all the time in manufacturing but I don't think I've ever used the metric system in regards to weight outside of buying weed lol. I cannot envision what 400 grams of chicken looks like.

I cannot envision what 400 grams of chicken looks like.
    A good way to half-ass the math is to just figure that a kilo is a bit over double a pound. So thinking of 400 g of chicken, you're thinking of a bit under a pound. Not perfect, but close enough for government work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    In the real real world, some poor people sell their monthly EBT for 75-80 cents on the dollar at gas stations and convenience stores and use it to purchase whatever they want. How else did you think people on food stamps manage to get shitfaced, and always near the first of the month instead of the 28th-31st?
    Do you know the % of poor people who actually do this? I'm willing to bet it's infinitely small compared to the overwhelming amount of people who use their EBTs to actually buy food. Florida attempted to take food stamps from drug abusers and it blew up in their faces because the vast majority of people on food stamps aren't on drugs.

Also the discussion was about food deserts, not drug use among the poor.

It also must be said that the contempt for the poor in America is disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    Florida attempted to limit food stamps to drug abusers and it blew up in their faces.
    Sort of. Mostly, they just couldn't do it because the courts ruled it unconstitutional, so they just wound up doing a written portion on applications that amounted to this:

Unsurprisingly, most people were not so drug-addled that they checked the wrong box and the finding was that people would say they're not on drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Most SNAP recipients are employed.
    Shush, they can just work harder!!! IF they aren't at work 23 hours out of the day the are losers and haters.