Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do your fingers hurt with too long/short nails?

I have this thing where my fingers and even forearms will start to ache if my nails get too long. And by too long, I mean I can let the white grow to 1 mm (0.04 inches?) before it becomes uncomfortable, which takes around 1 week. I remember it's been like this since before I started cutting my nails close as a result of the pain, so I guarantee that it's not about being used to it. I mean I've read about arthritis and inflammation and ingrown nails, but none of it seems to match what I'm experiencing. Not even keyboard stress, because it happens regardless of my finger activity levels, and always when the nails reach a certain length. It takes maybe an hour after I've cut them for me to not feel it anymore.

I'm not asking for medical advice (it's not THAT serious an issue), I'm just curious if anyone at all has the same experience. So far I haven't met anyone who has, and Google hasn't been a great help either.

So what's your experience with pain from finger nail length?
    Last edited by Zindai; 2016-12-18 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Danglish
    Best Zindai EU
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    I am not one person.

I lost a finger nail once. does that count? It grew back.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I can't say that I've had pain due to long finger nails but I always know when they're getting to long when they affect my typing. When the nail is long enough to touch the key first and, as a result, slide on my key press, it's extremely annoying and only a matter of time before they get cut again.

I haven't experienced what you have but I wear my nails short for more than personal aesthetics. Long fingernails are a PITA to grow out and maintain. They can get in the way of doing basic stuff. Fingernail polish just makes my nails feel like my nails can't breathe....I don't understand the obsession that some other women have with long fingernails/getting their nails done, just seems odd to me.

I've never had pain from my nails. I have long and well kept nails all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I haven't experienced what you have but I wear my nails short for more than personal aesthetics. Long fingernails are a PITA to grow out and maintain. They can get in the way of doing basic stuff. Fingernail polish just makes my nails feel like my nails can't breathe....I don't understand the obsession that some other women have with long fingernails/getting their nails done, just seems odd to me.
    I can help you with obtaining such obsession!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Zindai View Post
    I have this thing where my fingers and even forearms will start to ache if my nails get too long. And by too long, I mean I can let the white grow to 1 mm (0.04 inches?) before it becomes uncomfortable, which takes around 1 week. I remember it's been like this since before I started cutting my nails close as a result of the pain, so I guarantee that it's not about being used to it. I mean I've read about arthritis and inflammation and ingrown nails, but none of it seems to match what I'm experiencing. Not even keyboard stress, because it happens regardless of my finger activity levels, and always when the nails reach a certain length. It takes maybe an hour after I've cut them for me to not feel it anymore.

I'm not asking for medical advice (it's not THAT serious an issue), I'm just curious if anyone at all has the same experience. So far I haven't met anyone who has, and Google hasn't been a great help either.

So what's your experience with pain from finger nail length?
    If you cut your fingers off, the nails stop growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    If you cut your fingers off, the nails stop growing.
    I'm afraid that might interfere with my daily life.
    Best Zindai EU
    I am not one person.

I cut mine short for playing bass guitar. I don't like having the nails catch on the strings. Sometimes I over trim them and they start to peel up off my finger. Not far, but far enough to be mildly annoying.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I've never had pain from my nails. I have long and well kept nails all the time

I can help you with obtaining such obsession!
    No offense but I doubt it, I've always hated the feeling of fingernail polish on my fingers. My nails look pretty good naturally in my opinion, probably from the high protein diet. 90% of my opinion on nail polish is probably rooted in the icky feeling of the polish on my nails for more than an hour or two. Just feels like they can't breathe...not sure if that makes sense, I have no idea if nails "breathe" or not.

Also fingernail polish requires relatively frequent maintenance that I find annoying, like a chip in the polish.

No offense but I doubt it, I've always hated the feeling of fingernail polish on my fingers. My nails look pretty good naturally in my opinion, probably from the high protein diet. 90% of my opinion on nail polish is probably rooted in the icky feeling of the polish on my nails for more than an hour or two. Just feels like they can't breathe...not sure if that makes sense, I have no idea if nails "breathe" or not.

Also fingernail polish requires relatively frequent maintenance that I find annoying, like a chip in the polish.
    They're dead, but I recognize what you say about the nail polish. I think for me it's just that the fingertips feel heavier and thicker from it.
    Best Zindai EU
    I am not one person.

I know how that feels ^^ For me it was more the matter of finding right types of polish. Also I never do multiple layers, just one. Lasts me 5-7 days usually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

They're dead, but I recognize what you say about the nail polish. I think for me it's just that the fingertips feel heavier and thicker from it.
    Yeah, I know. Maybe that's what it is. Couldn't figure out that claustrophobic/suffocating feeling, thought maybe it had to do with nerve endings on the other side of the nail or something. Nails definitely feel heavier and thicker with polish, for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I know how that feels ^^ For me it was more the matter of finding right types of polish. Also I never do multiple layers, just one. Lasts me 5-7 days usually.
    That could be. I haven't tried polish since middle school (maybe early high school?), ha. Quality is probably a factor.

I play the guitar so I try to keep them short, but I don't completely remove the white part as I find nails to be useful on some daily task. Somewhere around 2 mm long.
    @Zindai I have no idea how a long nail can make you feel pain in your fingers and even forearms, that's completely strange, you should check a doctor, it might be a more serious issue than you think that may bring some other problems in the future, or maybe find a solution and not suffer that pain anymore.

I'm afraid that might interfere with my daily life.
    Medical solutions denier. =p

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar Hao View Post
    I play the guitar so I try to keep them short, but I don't completely remove the white part as I find nails to be useful on some daily task. Somewhere around 2 mm long.
    @Zindai I have no idea how a long nail can make you feel pain in your fingers and even forearms, that's completely strange, you should check a doctor, it might be a more serious issue than you think that may bring some other problems in the future, or maybe find a solution and not suffer that pain anymore.
    I don't know, I figured since Google doesn't even know, a random doctor won't know or care enough either. It might just be that it pushes the nerves, at least that would explain the forearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Medical solutions denier. =p
    Perhaps I could just have the nails surgically removed, haha. Reasonable compromise.
    Best Zindai EU
    I am not one person.

I don't know, I figured since Google doesn't even know, a random doctor won't know or care enough either. It might just be that it pushes the nerves, at least that would explain the forearm.

Perhaps I could just have the nails surgically removed, haha. Reasonable compromise.
    Have you considered having them coated with Adamantium, like Wolverine?

uummmm, no, that's never happened.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I don't like having my nails past a certain length, especially since I cook, clean, and use a keyboard often. They don't really hurt unless I break a nail or catch a sharp, hard edge right in the little part between my nail and my finger... I don't really use much product on my nails, outside of occasional fingernail paints in rare instances. I also have a dead sea product which I like which I should really use more often...
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Maybe you can go to a dr and have your nails removed if they cause you that much if an issue.

Pretty sure a good doctor knows much more and better than Google. My advice is that you go to a doctor.