Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Hate speech, lol. There's nothing anyone can say to me that could be hateful enough for me to consider it hate speech.
    If you're one of the people who think it's better to regulate what people can say, maybe you don't fucking belong in an open society in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Spread facts? You mean like through some sort of, I dunno, government-regulated media platform, where the subjects and content were all validated for truthfulness and factual basis before being aired? Something like, PBS? Also something we might call a State Media?
    History class/books.....

Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    But for you i skip 1 min of sleep. Ofc people have opinions, but when you have laws written to be impartial and when you have impartial commissions (Ombudsman's) to dubblecheck and have 3 layers of courts then you come very close to impartiality. But it's always good to keep that discussion going.

Good luck with your president apointing supreme court judges, or with your local elections of all public servants. And have fun with your 100% freedom of speech. I truely hope you never have to experiance what my grandparents had to. Good night.
    I hope so too. And if does happen again, we will come save you again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    I mean you are talking about and supporting forcing religious people into concentration camps to re-educate them in a thread about hate speech, and a discussion about Nazi's. What else is there to say?
    There's a chasm between restricting the spread of ignorance and imprisoning them, and murdering them in an industrial fashion that I believe you may have missed.

We do not allow children to remain ignorant, why should we allow adults?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

You know what happens when people here see Nazi's marching on the news? We laugh at how fucking absurd they are. We don't cower in fear or censor them. We let them show the world the absurdity they have to present.
    Until they shoot up a school/place of worship/nightclub and then we all cry "Never again!" for a few days, then the world continues as if it never happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    History class/books.....
    Almost like, requiring people we don't regard as being educated to go to a specific location and learn specific subjects or be punished?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Twitter censoring speech on their own platform is very different from a government censoring speech on Twitter's platform. I just can't see how Europeans accept all this tyranny against basic human rights, such as free speech.
    Most Europeans are raised to firmly trust and obey the state. It's the fundamental cornerstone of social-democratism upon which virtually all western European nations are, to a large degree, founded. So, I'd argue western Europe has been ruled by a fairly authoritarian form of government for a long time: we're in chains, it's just that we dont see or feel them.
    However, this arrangement between people and a fairly authoritian government (authoritarian as in it takes what it needs and wants) has historically been tolerable, perhaps even beneficient, for most people in Europe since the 1950's because the Strong State made a sort of a social-contract with the average taxpayer: basic (but not necessarily cutting-edge) healthcare, roads, social-security, schools, state-subsidized tertiary education (partially or fully). The state takes the resources it wants, but aside from that people were pretty 'free' with quite few, if any, restrictions on freedom of speech. DK was one of the most liberal, if not the most liberal European nation in this regard, perhaps even equalling the US in terms of freedom of speech. This has changed a little in recent history though, both in DK and other countries here, Germany being the worst example.

I can only speak for my own country, I assume it's kind of similar for other Western-European countries, but in the general population there is a strong (and I'd say justified IMO) feeling that this social contract is about to be thrown off balance. Many blame immigration of unproductive migrants fully or at least partially for this - IMO it certainly has a large role to play.
    Last edited by Pengekaer; 2016-12-18 at 01:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost like, requiring people we don't regard as being educated to go to a specific location and learn specific subjects or be punished?
    So you send children to prison if they don't go to school?

yeah let all those rapist into germany and force us to say how nice it is...

god i fucking hate what they have done to germany... we should have just build a wall

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    We in Europe (but escpecialy the Jews, ethnic Poles and other Slavs, Soviet citizens and Soviet POWs, Romanis, communists, homosexuals, Freemasons, Jehovah's Witnesses and the mentally and physically disabled) know everything about what can happen when we let "freedom of speech" roam free uncontrolled. There was a very high price payed for that lesson.

That that lesson seems to be forgotten by many (or over-shouted by many) should be a warning, allthough few will recognise the signs.

You are pranking right? You don't know this? Denying genocide and/or the holocaust is illegal in;

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Spain and Switzerland. And rightfully so!
    First of all: rightfully so? No!
    Secondly: I meant, Holocaust was their worst case of hate speech? That's not even in the category of hate speech.

We do not allow children to remain ignorant, why should we allow adults?
    Can only speak for DK, but when people turn 18 they are of legal age. Kids aren't and that's why they have to go to school or get home-schooled.

Adults are free to say no to information if they don't care or if they feel their brains can't cope with it.

The legal age of 18 is very fundamental in the Danish judicial system and, fortunately, not easily cast into the dustbin by the likes of you.
    I understand the legal age is also 18 in the US, so your dream probably won't come true. But perhaps Germany offers hope... they sure seem to be going in that direction ;-)
    Last edited by Pengekaer; 2016-12-18 at 01:47 AM.

You know what happens when people here see Nazi's marching on the news? We laugh at how fucking absurd they are. We don't cower in fear or censor them. We let them show the world the absurdity they have to present.
    Have you ever been near a neonazi demonstration in person? I have (unintentionally), and they are fucking scary.

- - - Updated - - -

What punishment do you think there is for a kid who doesn't learn in school?

What fucking country are you even from? o.O
    There are laws that punish the parents of truants.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    So you send children to prison if they don't go to school?
    We punish their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...op-hate-speech

Great stuff by the Germans!
    Hopefully the fines are astronomical so that they will force these firms to act.

Let's all hope that other countries follow their lead.
    so you think censorship is great stuff? Only someone that doesn't have a clue what freedom and liberty is all about would conceder that "great stuff"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kourvith View Post
    It's just a step further into asking to bring back mutual respect. I kinda see it as a smoke bomb to what it really wants, but it does hold some common sense. There's no democratic law that could enforce a "be respectful to each others", but punishing the extreme opposites of this concept though, is a start.

As an example, let's not forget that ISIS recruitment doesn't start with broad hate incitement, but with nurturing on already settled social hate.
    You cannot enforce mutual respect. If you start banning/jailing people for not being nice to each other the only thing you create is actual hate, for both the system and against the people it protects.
    Banning should be reserved for only those people who really go too far.

Yeah, bad people do bad things, we put them in jail, and then we mourn.

Unless you are trying to say that stopping hate speech would prevent a crazy nazi from running in and shooting up a building, in which case, i would just ask for evidence.
    What I'm saying is you're less likely to get people who believe this utterly disturbing tripe if you cut off the spreaders access to popular arenas of social dialogue in the first place. They should be marginalised from civilised society not given a platform for them to reach a wider audience than they would do if they could only rely on going out into public places and actually having to say this stuff out loud in front of people.

Quote Originally Posted by devla View Post
    You cannot enforce mutual respect. If you start banning/jailing people for not being nice to each other the only thing you create is actual hate, for both the system and against the people it protects.
    Banning should be reserved for only those people who really go too far.
    yep, that's what I meant

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    so you think censorship is great stuff? Only someone that doesn't have a clue what freedom and liberty is all about would conceder that "great stuff"
    Only someone who doesn't have a clue how it feels to be discriminated against or be the victim of a hate crime could consider this a negative thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    What I'm saying is you're less likely to get people who believe this utterly disturbing tripe if you cut off the spreaders access to popular arenas of social dialogue in the first place. They should be marginalised from civilised society not given a platform for them to reach a wider audience than they would do if they could only rely on going out into public places and actually having to say this stuff out loud in front of people.
    So, you are against free speech, a basic human right. What other human rights are you against?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Only someone who doesn't have a clue how it feels to be discriminated against or be the victim of a hate crime could consider this a negative thing.
    Only someone who doesn't fundamentally understand why free speech, even offensive free speech, is vital could consider this a good thing. Also, hate crimes are not the same thing as hate speech.

Last edited by Tijuana; 2016-12-18 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    So, you are against free speech, a basic human right. What other human rights are you against?
    Should it become legal to shout "FIRE!" in a theatre? Because that's banned in the USA.