Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Discrepency in Brewmaster stats on different sites

Everywhere I go I see different suggested stats for Brewmaster monks...

Is there an even vaguely agreeable set of preferred stats for Monk tanking???

Haste until you can keep ISB up (15% or more feels good), then ilvl.

If it's below +10 ilvl, go for crit/mast/vers over haste one you can keep ISB up.

Deleted
    ^this + mastery like 31% for cap. I am tanking Mythic raids with like 11% haste, if u feel comfortable with your ISB/PB stacks just go for other stats.

It is a little up in the air. A lot of people will recommend 30% haste, I geared to this and find myself at a very comfortable level of brew generation, perhaps a little too much, all depends on how often you need to cleanse.

Deleted
    For tankiness, it's Haste > Mastery >= Versatility > Crit. For damage, it's Haste > Crit > Mastery > Versatility.
    you want mastery to be at about 32% as that's the break point. Once there go for vers pref or crit if vers isn't available to you.
    Haste will always be the highest prio stat as it gives you more brews pr minute. up to about 30-33%. Again once there got for vers or crit(if you're mastery capped).

also use this thread etc:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Thread/page74

or go to the discord:
    https://discord.gg/HtUbh (lots of good stuff in the stickied notes)
    Last edited by mmoc9616daefb1; 2016-12-19 at 09:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vims View Post
    For tankiness, it's Haste > Mastery >= Versatility > Crit. For damage, it's Haste > Crit > Mastery > Versatility.
    you want mastery to be at about 32% as that's the break point. Once there go for vers pref or crit if vers isn't available to you.
    Haste will always be the highest prio stat as it gives you more brews pr minute. up to about 30-33%. Again once there got for vers or crit(if you're mastery capped).

also use this thread etc:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Thread/page74

or go to the discord:
    The Haste breakpoint is 33.4%, and puts KS at a 6 second CD. The stat priorities as you listed are otherwise right on, although Mastery breakpoints are inconsistent outside of Patchwerk and heavily overvalued by the community at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Vims View Post

or go to the discord:
    That link is saying "The Instant Invite is Invalid or Has Expired"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unclecreepy View Post
    Everywhere I go I see different suggested stats for Brewmaster monks...

Is there an even vaguely agreeable set of preferred stats for Monk tanking???
    Different styles for different people. The BrM tank of Serenity swears by Haste where as a lot of BrMs prefer the crit/mastery route. I think both are valid, depends on how you prefer to play. cirt/mastery is definitely more RNG though. Haste is something that gives you more control since it allows for more ISB/Purify charges (but you don't dodge or trigger Celestial Fortune as much).

Personally, I went the Haste route, but another BrM that raids with us went the crit/mastery route. He takes more damage than me but heals for a lot more. So, in the end, we are pretty similar.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

You can't use BoC to its full effectiveness with a high haste build.
    Last edited by Khorm; 2016-12-20 at 09:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would you please elaborate on that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    You can't use BoC to its full effectiveness without a high haste build.
    There - slight correction. Hope Khorm doesn't mind

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Would you please elaborate on that?
    Quite simply, it's not accurate. 33.4% Haste builds are doing absolute work with Blackout Combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsharna View Post
    There - slight correction. Hope Khorm doesn't mind
    Depends if you don't mind being at capped energy more often than not.
    Last edited by Khorm; 2016-12-21 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    Depends if you don't mind being at capped energy more often than not.
    There is nothing inherently bad about being energy capped. Haste for BrM is important for more then energy generation so the stats are not wasted past that point and your still doing something useful with every global.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

That does bring up an interesting point, though - our main resource is almost totally unrelated to our defensive abilities. In WoD, you needed energy to generate chi so you could stay alive, but in Legion energy basically only interacts with our dps. The closest it gets is needing more energy to cast KS so that your brew cds get lowered, but that's pretty convoluted as these things go. There's no trade offs in our rotation since they took all our decision making and threw it into choosing between brews instead.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's just weird that energy is only used for 2 abilities, one of which has a cooldown and the other of which is low on the priority list/needs to be preceded by BoS to do meaningful damage. We really might as well be resourceless at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakiri View Post
    That does bring up an interesting point, though - our main resource is almost totally unrelated to our defensive abilities. In WoD, you needed energy to generate chi so you could stay alive, but in Legion energy basically only interacts with our dps. The closest it gets is needing more energy to cast KS so that your brew cds get lowered, but that's pretty convoluted as these things go. There's no trade offs in our rotation since they took all our decision making and threw it into choosing between brews instead.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's just weird that energy is only used for 2 abilities, one of which has a cooldown and the other of which is low on the priority list/needs to be preceded by BoS to do meaningful damage. We really might as well be resourceless at this point.
    It's more the opposite. Energy is unrelated to offensive capabilities. If you wanted to be completely turtle, you'd skip blackout strikes in favor of spamming more TP for brew recharge if energy allowed it.

But obviously, this kills the DPS.

And in WoD more energy did give you chi in form of giving you more jabs. But the efficiency was atrocious so it might as well could not exist. And we got plenty of chi to do what we needed without extra haste anyway.
    Last edited by keqe; 2016-12-21 at 03:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    For everything else, there's Brewmastercard

Haste loses value considerably after 20% (with Black Ox Brew) or 30% (with Light Brewing) because you reach the level at which your combat actions can no longer increase your brew generation; only raw haste beyond this point results in extra brews. That being said, haste is still good beyond these benchmarks and is definitely better than versatility while also being competitive with mastery for its mitigation potential. Crit provides no mitigation, but does make it easier to heal us through Celestial Fortune (as a result, it is the best stat for controlling magic damage). Versatility is poor stat due both to its poor scaling and its negative synergies with other stats.

Our stat priority thus depends largely on the types of damage we are taking--
    Haste: Good in all situations, subject to the constraint that it decreases in value a bit at higher levels.
    Crit: Best when most of the damage is magic damage.
    Mastery: Best when most of the damage is physical autoattacks.
    Versatility: Avoided.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allialara View Post
    Haste loses value considerably after 20% (with Black Ox Brew) or 30% (with Light Brewing) because you reach the level at which your combat actions can no longer increase your brew generation; only raw haste beyond this point results in extra brews. That being said, haste is still good beyond these benchmarks and is definitely better than versatility while also being competitive with mastery for its mitigation potential. Crit provides no mitigation, but does make it easier to heal us through Celestial Fortune (as a result, it is the best stat for controlling magic damage). Versatility is poor stat due both to its poor scaling and its negative synergies with other stats.

Our stat priority thus depends largely on the types of damage we are taking--
    Haste: Good in all situations, subject to the constraint that it decreases in value a bit at higher levels.
    Crit: Best when most of the damage is magic damage.
    Mastery: Best when most of the damage is physical autoattacks.
    Versatility: Avoided.
    Even with 33.4% haste (and legendary chest) you still use more energy than you generate with using BoS every third global. Technically you could even skip BoS once in a while in favor of TP if you really wanted more brews. So these "20% softcaps" are mostly just feelcraft concepts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    For everything else, there's Brewmastercard

At least with Leg Chest the 33.4% haste rotation is simply

KS-BoS-TP-BoF-BoS-TP-KS

I'd be interested to hear if 33.4% haste rotation is still as good or as clean without leg chest but its certainly a strong point of gearing this way.

I disagree that haste to 33.4% is the best offensive build but i guess i'd be happy to be proven wrong or see some more maths on it, worst case scenario you have a lot of haste to deal with burst damage (in terms of purifies) and get a simple effective dmg rotation. There's kind of a lot of factors to it and really atm i'd just say gear whatever appeals to you and what you are most comfortable with. Personally I do as many others here do and balance the other 3 stats while keeping haste at a "comfort level"

Deleted
    Without leg and chest I basically run (aside from opener) BoS-KS-TP-BoS-BoF-TP-BoS-KS-TP. Only when BoF comes off CD together with KS, you need to make the decision if you want to BoS buff the BoF or KS after all.