Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'm mystified as to how people become so helpless they think of "giving someone else a ride to a destination for money" is something either party needs the imprimatur of the government to be able to do in the first place. We don't have a government license to wipe our asses, but we manage, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    I'm mystified as to how people become so helpless they think of "giving someone else a ride to a destination for money" is something either party needs the imprimatur of the government to be able to do in the first place. We don't have a government license to wipe our asses, but we manage, right?
    The problem is not government interference (and it's not government for most of the issues but city laws). There's no problem if you operate within the law but as long as the law exists it should be respected. If the laws/rules didn't exist there would be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dakalro View Post
    The problem is not government interference (and it's not government for most of the issues but city laws). There's no problem if you operate within the law but as long as the law exists it should be respected. If the laws/rules didn't exist there would be no problem.
    City laws... that's government my friend. The presence ever felt. Requiring a HAC license to give people a ride is absurd, it's not a specialized skill of some kind that requires arduous training and poses special vulnerability for those who rely on it (the way a doctor or a lawyer might -- and to be honest, I don't even really believe in governments required professional licensing for these either, necessarily, but at least I can grasp the argument conceptually). You aren't using any skill that you haven't already proven yourself competent to perform by getting your driver's license and insurance.

Deleted
    Uhhh Trump age. "if you don't tip I earn nothing!!".

Pay your local minister rather than tip the same stupid people as "you" are.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    City laws... that's government my friend. The presence ever felt. Requiring a HAC license to give people a ride is absurd, it's not a specialized skill of some kind that requires arduous training and poses special vulnerability for those who rely on it (the way a doctor or a lawyer might -- and to be honest, I don't even really believe in governments required professional licensing for these either, necessarily, but at least I can grasp the argument conceptually). You aren't using any skill that you haven't already proven yourself competent to perform by getting your driver's license and insurance.
    You seem to miss the point. I don't care about the rule existing or not. It's completely irrelevant. But as long as it does it should be respected. If people don't like the rules then talk to local politicians, organize protests and change shit. Especially here hell, they could probably pay off some people to repeal the law. But don't break the law as long as it stands.

Friends I drive with I know, they are predictable as drivers. If I don't like how they drive I'll get off. They have license and insurance. I don't want to have to do the same with a driver I basically hire, which is why extra competence/checks is something I expect.

15+ Year Old Account
    When I first used Uber, I tipped, but driver after driver told me I didn't have to as they received 80% of the fair. I now no longer tip as they seemed to discourage it themselves.

Deleted
    Tipping in 2016 lul

Deleted
    Never used Uber.

I do use taxi when getting from/to airport. We have many taxi companies here, some are cheap, some aren't. If its a cheap taxi, I usually tip driver by rounding up number. If its expensive taxi, then no.

There is no difference in quality between those taxi companies, the only difference is expensive ones are the only companies allowed to park at airport entrance (also they have monopolies at port and hotels), so there is no choice, unless cheap one happens to drop off someone as I exit airport.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope.
    Only use Uber for drunken rides home. Nobody gets tipped when I drink. (except bartender)
    Last edited by WskyDK; 2016-12-19 at 02:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    To make £80 (approx $100) would involve a journey of around 73 miles with the fares uber operate in my home city. Such single journeys are few and far between.
    If it's a $20 fare they still make 80%, or $16. What I'm saying that Uber is a much better deal for the drivers. Think about it, if it was a bad deal nobody would do it.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I mostly use Lyft, but Uber is fine too. I tip 20% or more if they're cool people, but it's rare that they're not. I hate taxi's, especially the ones in Center City Philadelphia; they all drive like assholes. A Taxi smashed into my car at a red light on St. Patty's Day a few years ago because he thought it was a good idea to speed in the middle of a thunderstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    There is no difference in quality between those taxi companies, the only difference is expensive ones are the only companies allowed to park at airport entrance (also they have monopolies at port and hotels), so there is no choice, unless cheap one happens to drop off someone as I exit airport.
    There is this issue here as well, that there is one designated taxi company for airport service, for "security reasons". So there are some disputes with Uber. That comes back to Uber being a commercial taxi service that doesn't follow any of the taxi laws or commercial driver laws or... anything.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Uber takes 20% of each fare. For a $100 fare the driver gets $80. That's way more than cab drivers make unless they own the business.
    Not likely. Read this: http://therideshareguy.com/whats-the...s-infographic/

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    To summarize the link:
    Uber charges a booking fee that goes to Uber, not the driver. $1-3
    Then Uber charges the percentage 25% or whatnot.

Also since the rate is decided by Uber, they can cut the rate to compete more and it will result in less for the drivers.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Tipping taxi driver makes no sense to me. Uber isn't any different. Also, this:

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I don't use Uber or Lyft because I think it is unethical for trust funds to circumvent local laws and pay people off so they can start unlicensed national taxi driver companies. Those taxi driver medallions required to drive in cities like Chicago were worth the cost of a house before Uber and Lyft started their national corruption scheme.

Also, good luck to you if you get into an accident while in an Uber or Lyft vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I'm not sure why you would tip based on age, do you also leave tips for your waitresses based on their cup size? Seems to make just as much logical sense...

Also why the Dow and not Nasdaq?
    Well, cup sizes may make interaction with the waitress more pleasant. Age difference between drives does not have such an effect (unless you're into older dudes, I suppose).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

I guess I just get in my own car and drive it, I have only ever used a Taxi service when on vacation in Las Vegas.

I don't use Uber so no.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes my wife and I tip Uber drivers.

If we get good prompt service it deserves a tip.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not supposed to tip Uber drivers. But we'll take tips unofficially.

Never used Uber, doubt I would tip though, I am already paying them for service.
    READ and be less Ignorant.