Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I gave a try to elysium the saturday,

i realized HOW OLD is a game that let you be in the same place with 500000 taurens doing the same quest, with not tagging system, without mass loot.

it was just... man, i cant first hit any mob for the quest, never could pass first quest. just quitted. that was very lame.

(i know, is release and there is a lot of ppl playing and starting) but you cant deny is old, clunky, and lame having to wait an hour for a mob.

This ppl have nostalgia. and i dont see it as a bad thing, im glad they can play again in a private server. hope they are happy there

Deleted
    Because dumb people will survive low level kindness for 3 years in low level before they ever bother <current-tier>-players.

Deleted
    How I see it:

- Everything required immense amounts of time and effort, which gave you a genuine feeling of accomplishment.
    - The community was the best part of the game. It didn't matter that the game wasnt balanced or gameplay was clunky, you had fun playing with others.
    - The simplest things could be special. Like a certain mount or mount speed. You were content with a different colored wolf, now everyone is riding/flying on dragons.
    - Your character was something you would invest in. You became your character and your character became you. Nowadays it's all disposable.

7+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I'm really missing from vanilla is the server integrity. There was a local community back then that's seldom seen now with cross-server functionality implemented. Guess that's how globalisation works.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    no but Legion zones are like 15% of the total game
    even old zones have new water effects, light effects, better grass, much higher draw distance etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Arctic Monkeys debut album sold faster than any Beatles album. It's nothing to do with accessability of music or economic state of the population or number fo people buying music. It's because tjhe ARctic Monkeys are better than the Beatles. Clearly.
    If you talking about the argument that vanilla was more popular, I agree, I don't think that means it was better. But I do think it's a good argument against the claim that it was worse. The market had a lot to do with it for sure, but the reviews were excellent, subscribers stayed on and grew, and it's sill remembered fondly. To say that nostalgia is the only reason people remember it fondly is - as I said - the same as applying that logic to anything "older".

People only like The Godfather because of nostalgia, just look at it, resolution is much better today.
    People only like The Beatles because of nostalgia, sound on records is much richer today. Live concerts have way bigger budgets today.
    People only like classic Coca Cola because of nostalgia, comparing nutritional values the new types are clearly superior.

The nostalgia meme that people throw out in every thread about past expansions is stupid.

Vanilla was great back in the day. I'd never want to play it now though.
    Vanilla would be silly bad compared to what we have now.

One of the reasons why people loved Vanilla was due to it not being 'perfect'. It took thinking to overcome its imperfections, and having a 'perfect' game is boring to some. It was not a 'push the button and out pops a cookie with 100% consistency' type of game like it is today. Totally different player base, with a totally different mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    How I see it:

- Everything required immense amounts of time and effort, which gave you a genuine feeling of accomplishment.
    - The community was the best part of the game. It didn't matter that the game wasnt balanced or gameplay was clunky, you had fun playing with others.
    - The simplest things could be special. Like a certain mount or mount speed. You were content with a different colored wolf, now everyone is riding/flying on dragons.
    - Your character was something you would invest in. You became your character and your character became you. Nowadays it's all disposable.
    This sums up much of it as well. Pretty much on the spot, and these are some of the critical items lost over the years.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by azarak View Post
    I can kind of relate to WotLK/BC even though there is still vastly much more to do now than back then....
    lol

No, there isn't more to do now. There were more dungeons (and they weren't push-overs for the most part) and more raids than now. There was plenty of other activities going on as well, just organized differently than today. Heck, in BC, there was still world PvP going on regularly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    even old zones have new water effects, light effects, better grass, much higher draw distance etc.
    yes but overall there is no major improvement (and it's good), visit old dalaran in wotlk and now, 95% the same

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    No clue. As fun as the old vanilla questlines are they're better experienced in Wrath or TBC. TBC if you want the community feels, Wrath if you just want to see it easily.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Essentially an inflated nostalgia for a time that would never be the same, even if Vanilla Legacy Realms were released. The biggest reason why there were as popular as they were on illegal private servers was because they were free to access where you'd have to pay for it if Blizzard did it. While some people may play for a few weeks to months, the amount of time, money, and effort it would take to make and support legacy realms would be a literal hole in Blizzard's finances, hemorrhaging more and more money and consuming resources from them the longer that it existed. It is a bad business plan and people can't get over how horrible of an idea it is because of their nostalgic lust for the good ol' days.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

the game is a lot better these days for everyone, although I do see that it is also a completely different game to what it was back then, everyone has an entirely different mentality to the game, the average player is probably twice as skilled as most ppl raiding in classic. I'm bias because I play and still play priest, I loved classic because I basically played the best healing class in the game and everyone wanted me in their groups. but when i look back to that period it just doesn't fit my current skill level, classic priest healing was flash heal and renew and maybe a holy shield if we're feeling generous, we've progressed to the point where going back to that would be too easy. I did like the game more when each class performed one role really well and other roles not so well, It definitely went full blown casual when everyone had to be on par with everyone else at every role that change was good for longevity and also the main game changer.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-12-19 at 03:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Vanilla was great back in the day. I'd never want to play it now though.
    Vanilla would be silly bad compared to what we have now.
    What do we have now ? Because currently we don't have true online video RPG anymore.

Don't forget the old wow was intended for the RPG players who d like to play RPG as an online video game. Nowadays the "MMORPG" genre has been hijacked by the developpers to produce something we could only define vaguely as a "MMO", which is a game trapped between an action game and a turn based game, and trapped between a solo game and a multiplayer one.

Sure wow vanilla (and TBC) wasn't perfect but it is still the best MMORPG (in the true RPG sense) out there. Even 12 years later blizzard's competitor can't code a blink like spell which doesn't have latency.
    Last edited by mmoc18e6a734ba; 2016-12-19 at 03:43 PM.

I just created and account to make a reply on this thread.

So, if you have a point, then why tons of people still play vanilla over legion? Let's get over the differences

The biggest difference on vanilla compared to the new legion, at least for me, it's the time effort and the reward that you get on it, vanilla rewards effort, legion rewards luck, why is that important to make the game feel real?
    I'll make an example here, i played legion on the launch day, with some friends, the day after that day, i already was 110, gearing with wq, at the second day i was doing heroics, and at the third day mythics. my friends got stuck until the saturday leveling on 105, then they ramped to 110 on monday, when they get into heroics, one got drop a legendary, then, the other one got his legendary on mythics, i didn't get a shit, and was 850 after the second week, but they were 850 and with a legendary, when i clearly dropped way more effor than them, why the game RNG rewarded them a legendary? why would i have to be behind when i were farming all the fucking day wq and mythics every week and heroics when i had nothing else to do? was that fair? for them maybe, i had to wait until the 7.1 to get a legendary drop.

That's not a good game mechanic, on vanilla, you put more effort, you get more reward, why should anyone that do more than other player get less just because they're less lucky? that's not a fair mechanic for anything, and rn legendaries are almost the only thing that matters, and if you get the ring or the useless neck, or maybe a defensive legendary like the mage one, when you see another player that could be fresh 110 with a mangaza's madness or the whisper of the nathrezim isn't a fair mechanic compared to what vanilla is.

Also when you get a loot, you don't scream:"HELL F#CK YEAH" because everybody gets an item, isn't anything special, also, because you have to get the rng to get the item drop, then the rng to get the item FOR YOU, then what? are you happy? you have your bis? ofc no, because it can be warforged, or titanforged, or TITANFORGEDX4, or TITANFORGEDX4/SOCKETED/INDESTRUCTIBLE/LEECH/AVOIDANCE, when on vanilla you had your items they get drop, they get into you, and you were hella happy, cus they have meaning, now everything is almost useless, you can get a 840 from a mythic and not be happy, because someone can be luckier and get a titanforged 845 from a normal dung, that's fair?

Everything is so much different, you have to grind your ap, because if you don't, anyone who have grinded ap more than you can get a raid spot before you, and you know what, you can't change your ap to other toon, to other spec more viable, to whatever you want, no matter how much you pay, on vanilla the only grind you really needed was the farm for consumables and only if you wanted to raid, because they have so muchc more content besides raiding. not everyone was a raider, and that was hella fine, on legion, or you do pvp, or you do raids, and that's it, nothing else more to do, you log farm your wq, your daily chest, your daily quests, and isn't like WOD, when you didn't get a daily and you were behind on ilvl, on progress, on legendaries, on ap, neither on vanilla, but on legion yes you are, you don't log for a week, and get packs of artifact knowledge lost, the grind on legion is 1000 times more necesary than on vanilla, but they make you feel that you aren't grind, when you really are grinding like a fucking slave for ap everyday or to something without any value.

content was too much more proggresive, if you did pvp, you get progress on pvp, ranks on pvp, gear for pvp. and when you did pve, you get progress, you had to do mc, bwl, zg, aq, and naxx, you just couldn't reach lvl 60 farm dungs on dungeon finder, then put on premade groups and do naxx with the gear that you get from dungs that was equivalent that anything that raiders acomplished on aq so you can get into naxx, and that's what you do on wod, on legion, on 7.2, if you get a lvl 100, you could just simple get into mythic dungs, and get gear that was way better than the gear from hfc or highmaul, that didn't really feel like proggresion, and doing LFR, then N, then H, then M neither, is just redoing content for a warforge a titanforge, because they don't put anything else.

On the classes, you can think you're right, but, they're guilds that aren't hardcore raiding, and accept hybrids, you can get into a raid as a ret, as a bear, as a enh, you can do pvp with whatever you want, because skill is more important than matchup on vanilla if you didn't know.

but well, i prefer playing a game with unbalanced classes and balanced proggresion and balanced effort/reward, that a game with balanced classes and with nothing else than that, and i know lot of people do think that way, i'm not going to make you think this way, and i don't care, because i enjoy playing on vanilla, and that's what matter to me, whatever you want to do you're free, but, you should be more objective, nostalfag out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanelis View Post
    What do we have now ? Because currently we don't have true online video RPG anymore.
    For all its flaws, Legion is still way better than the broken, unbalanced shit vanilla was.

Deleted

Don't forget the old wow was intended for the RPG players who d like to play RPG as an online video game. Nowadays the "MMORPG" genre has been hijacked by the developpers who produce something we could only define vaguely as a "MMO", which is a game trapped between an action game and a turn based game, and trapped between a solo game and a multiplayer one.

Sure wow vanilla (and TBC) wasn't perfect but it is still the best MMORPG (in the true RPG sense) out there.

I wouldn't consider Legion any less or more of an "online video RPG" than Vanilla..???

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    I wouldn't consider Legion any less or more of an "online video RPG" than Vanilla..???
    Well I can assure you it isn't a RPG at all anymore, on a game design standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    For all its flaws, Legion is still way better than the broken, unbalanced shit vanilla was.
    I don't know about that, but I didn't leave vanilla after 2 month as I did in legion.

Also, reaching 7 M concurrent subscriber is quite a feat for a broken game.
    Last edited by mmoc18e6a734ba; 2016-12-19 at 03:49 PM.

Well I can assure you it isn't a RPG at all anymore, on a game design standpoint.

I don't know about that, but I didn't leave vanilla after 2 month as I did in legion.

Also, reaching 7 M concurrent subscriber is quite a feat for a broken game.
    Yeah, there was nothing that even came close to WoW at the time.
    There are a lot of games that do come close now though and if WoW was still the same game it was in vanilla, you'd be alone with your 20 friends in that game... Or more likely, it would be long dead.