Poll: Would you like a class-changing option to be available?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Nah.

Semi-on topic, I'd rather see a system where a character could be any class and level it up separately, a la FF14. The racial restrictions on classes could remain, also, but doing that would lead to even more butthurt, most likely. Lore wise, I suppose DKs would provide one major barrier to this idea (which I never ever expect to see in WoW, mind you). Would love to play as a single orc character capable of being warrior + shaman + mage + lock.

Quote Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
    The issue I see with this idea is that it would end up being FOTM classes everywhere. So once in a while you would hit a point where a class (Hunter, Mage, Warlock...) are best and everyone plays those classes but no one wants to tank and/or heal. Ques will be awful.
    not allowing an easy class change is not a solution to the fotm problem.
    it is just a band-aid and and pretty bad one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    I'd love a system like FFXIV's class system, maybe not every class, but one or two would be cool.
    I'd take it for every class. It's just a superior system, if handled correctly. Considering how quest reliant WoW is, each class could have it's own quests, similar to how each character does. What were the drawbacks again?

But WoW is too far along for such a system to be put into place, it'd just be weird.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I have 7, but my main is always special because there are so many exalted reputations and items she has. And things you can't get anymore, like Brood of Nozdormu exalted, which was the Ahn'quiraj faction, Gekis and Magram centaurs etc.
    Do you grind all reputations on all your chars? And do all quests too?
    Oh heck no. I was mostly joking anyway. In my case, I just kinda accept that I've got what I've got on one character. I don't try to get it for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Azmoden View Post
    @OP

FFXIV lets you do that, for free.

WoW doesn't have enough content to let you do everything on one character and be satisfied with it, they need you do make alts so you can do the same content on a new character, and call it "new content!".

Repeat after me people: "The same content on another character is still the same freaking content".
    Repeat after me: "I can go make a sandwich while waiting for FFXIV's 2 second GCD".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Well, FFXIV does this perfectly well. Paying for this would be hilarious.
    Leveling alt jobs without MSQ is suffering.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    They know that if they did this, they'd finally have to address the bullshit that is Mage bias as there would be a metric ton of Class changers from X DPS to Mage. Time spent and 12 years of sentiment is all that allows some to tolerate the balance issues. If it really became World of Magecraft, then Blizzard would have no excuses.
    Considering how easy it is to reroll a new Class, I highly doubt there would be a mass exodus to one class if there wasn't already.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azmoden View Post
    @OP

FFXIV lets you do that, for free.

WoW doesn't have enough content to let you do everything on one character and be satisfied with it, they need you do make alts so you can do the same content on a new character, and call it "new content!".

Repeat after me people: "The same content on another character is still the same freaking content".
    I mean you say that about WoW, but leveling other classes in FF14 on the same character is far more tedious. Since your options are dungeon grind or fate grind which in your words are the SAME FREAKING CONTENT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    There should be a way to change your class.
    What do you think?
    What do I think?

I think why the fuck do you even play an MMORPG if you don't want to play a MMORPG. What you're suggesting is like saying I wish Harry Potter could be Ron Weasley if we just gave him a bit of a quest chain, because wouldn't it be fun to be Ron but also have done all the shit Harry did. Your character is a distinct person in the game world. Your account is not your character. Your character is not an amalgam of all the different characters you've ever played rolled into one.

I think if you honestly feel the way you do that you should find a different type of game to play.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2016-12-20 at 12:11 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Shonist,

It is important to understand the power of emphasis.

Bold and italic and underline are all examples of typographical emphasis. Others include (but are not limited to) strike through, over lining, changed font and size, capitalization and letter spacing.

- - - Updated - - -

An option to change skin color should be available to the player. Not for free though.

- - - Updated - - -

Each individual decides what is important for him, that is not for you to decide.

Where is the fantasy in creating an alt?
    You over use them, you can be doing enfasis in every pharagraph. i can read and understand what you are saying without changing colours to the fonts only to show that are differents things.

its like talking in real life and say "Have you seen i did enphasis on that??" while talking.,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by netherflame View Post
    If you make achievements account wide you would solve most of your problems, its frustrating that things like do x number of missions or win 100 bgs don't just count to your account. You might have 300 WSG wins across 4 characters but since none of them have 100 you don't get the achievement. To fix this though would all depend on how blizzard has the backend of the achievement system setup, which could be a pain to change.
    The basis of an MMORPG is that the player characters are individual people in the game world. If four different people have completed a total of 300 WSG wins but no one has completed 100 themselves, why would they get an achievement for completing 100? If you and three of your friends played 300 games of hockey between you all but none of you managed to win 100 games as an individual you wouldn't say "I won 100 hockey games."

Your characters are not a multi-faceted being.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2016-12-20 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayami View Post
    Repeat after me: "I can go make a sandwich while waiting for FFXIV's 2 second GCD".
    how is that related to the class system/content replay value?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    The basis of an MMORPG is that the player characters are individual people in the game world. If four different people have completeed a total of 300 WSG wins but no one has completed 100 themselves, why would they get an achievement for completing 100? If you and three of your friends played 300 games of hockey between you all but none of you managed to win 100 games as an individual you wouldn't say "I won 100 hockey games."

Your characters are not on multi-faceted being.
    the characters no, but the player is.
    that's why we call them ACCOUNT wide, the achivements would be on the account, i.e. on the player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saeros View Post
    how is that related to the class system/content replay value?

- - - Updated - - -

the characters no, but the player is.
    that's why we call them ACCOUNT wide, the achivements would be on the account, i.e. on the player.
    The player is not. Achievement points are account-wide, but individual achievements still show which character was awarded them.

None of those characters on their own can earn a 100 wins achievement unless they earn 100 wins themselves, because as far as the game world is concerned every character is a distinct being. The entire point of an MMORPG is to play as a certain character in a constant virtual world - to change that basic tenet is to alter the game from being an MMORPG.

The only way what you are suggesting would make sense from an MMORPG point of view is if it was treated in the same way as Crowfall, but that needs to be done at the outset of the game and isn't something that can just be tacked on later. In terms of WoW each character is a person in the game world. The account has no bearing whatsoever on those individual characters.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2016-12-20 at 12:31 AM.

The player is not. Achievement points are account-wide, but individual achievements still show which character was awarded them.

None of those characters on their own can earn a 100 wins achievement unless they earn 100 wins themselves, because as far as the game world is concerned every character is a distinct being. The entire point of an MMORPG is to play as a certain character in a constant virtual world - to change that basic tenet is to alter the game from being an MMORPG.

The only way what you are suggesting would make sense from an MMORPG point of view is if it was treated in the same way as Crowfall, but that needs to be done at the outset of the game and isn't something that can just be tacked on later. In terms of WoW each character is a person in the game world. The account has no bearing whatsoever on those individual characters.
    it looks like you really can't imagine an achievement system that track the player activity instead of the character.
    you can't understand that saying "i have 100 wins" could simply mean "i have 100 win as a player" instead of "i have 100 on this character".

your argument about characters being separate entity and that none of them had actually 100 wins is basically useless as it can't even adress the issue.
    tracking player achivement doesn't mean merge the characters. it simply mean to add the numbers that tracks them to have a shared achivement system, i.e. the player achivements.
    and if the achivement tracks the player, saying that you have 100 win will NOT mean that you have 100 win as that character, but as a player.

these two systems could even coextist.

edit: and the last thing you say doesn't make any sense, in your mind we shouldn't even have account wide mount, heirlooms, transmog... nothing?
    Last edited by saeros; 2016-12-20 at 12:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    Considering how easy it is to reroll a new Class, I highly doubt there would be a mass exodus to one class if there wasn't already.
    Disagree. Reputations, professions and sometimes sentimental attachments to feats of Strength override that. I may not like Rogues, but I played one in Vanilla and it's always going to have a special place in my heart. If I could re-class him to Hunter or Mage I would instantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    edit: and the last thing you say doesn't make any sense, in your mind we shouldn't even have account wide mount, heirlooms, transmog... nothing?
    If a guard is going to congratulate your character for winning 100 battlegrounds it's because that person in the game world won 100 battlegrounds. He can't bring his cousin over to the guard and say "He won 20 and I won 80, and we're related, so give us the achievement please." If you want to award achievements to the account instead of the character that's feasible, but doesn't demonstrate the things that a character has accomplished, which is the only way they make sense in the game world.

Why would a level 20 rogue in the game world have access to a mount acquired by killing a massive dragon? The rogue could never have done that. Did his cousin lend him the dragon mount? Did he inherit it? Breaking immersion for the sake of convenience does nothing but dilute the genre and move the game away from being an actual MMORPG.

This isn't even the heart of the discussion though, which is that characters should change classes. That makes every character an everyman, an aggregate of every class and possibility that can change at a moment's notice on the whim of the player, who isn't even supposed to be an entity that "exists' in an MMORPG world. It's a ludicrous suggestion for an MMORPG.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2016-12-20 at 12:58 AM.

Better to just make that other stuff account wide instead of having class change bullshit. But that's just me.

I wouldn't opposed a limited version of this. Like everyone can become a monk, warriors can become paladins, mage to warlock etc..

What do I think?

I think why the fuck do you even play an MMORPG if you don't want to play a MMORPG. What you're suggesting is like saying I wish Harry Potter could be Ron Weasley if we just gave him a bit of a quest chain, because wouldn't it be fun to be Ron but also have done all the shit Harry did. Your character is a distinct person in the game world. Your account is not your character. Your character is not an amalgam of all the different characters you've ever played rolled into one.

I think if you honestly feel the way you do that you should find a different type of game to play.
    no. this is just YOUR IDEA of mmo.

there are mmo that allow class changes.
    there are mmo where a single character can be all the classes, or/and even more than 1 at the same time.
    there are mmo without classes.

class doesn't mean characters. mmo are not about classes. this is all in your mind.

class is even LESS persistent than race. people CAN change class, even in warcraft lore they do it.
    instead, changing race is impossible, but we have it.
    if we can have a race change, class change should be allowed too.

- - - Updated - - -

If a guard is going to congratulate your character for winning 100 battlegrounds it's because that person in the game world won 100 battlegrounds. He can't bring his cousin over to the guard and say "He won 20 and I won 80, and we're related, so give us the achievement please." If you want to award achievements to the account instead of the character that's feasible, but doesn't demonstrate the things that a character has accomplished, which is the only way they make sense in the game world.

Why would a level 20 rogue in the game world have access to a mount acquired by killing a massive dragon? The rogue could never have done that. Did his cousin lend him the dragon mount? Did he inherit it? Breaking immersion for the sake of convenience does nothing but dilute the genre and move the game away from being an actual MMORPG.

This isn't even the heart of the discussion though, which is that characters should change classes. That makes every character an everyman, an aggregate of every class and possibility that can change at a moment's notice on the whim of the player, who isn't even supposed to be an entity that "exists' in an MMORPG world. It's a ludicrous suggestion for an MMORPG.
    i've just explained why you are completly wrong on that too.

and btw, if you really care about the single character achivement, as i said, the two system can coexist. npc in the game should not care about your account achivement, ok, but it is not a reason to deny them.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a way to change your class. Its called 'reroll a new toon.' I've changed mains twice this expansion and guess what, aside from catching the 3rd toon up on Suramar story stuff I'm doing just fine, and that's with barely playing the game atm.

WoW has too much convenience stuff as it is, the last thing it needs is a way to trivialize yet another meaningful choice. Just my 2 cents.

- - - Updated - - -

i've just explained why you are completly wrong on that too.
    Go read up on how opinions work because apparently, you don't understand the concept.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post

Go read up on how opinions work because apparently, you don't understand the concept.
    what? opinons can't be wrong now?
    saying that the character + his class are the core the mmo genre is wrong.

it is the thing he care the most? fine, that's what i said, this is his idea of mmo.
    but mmo are not that.