Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ask for an exchange then. Get another SSD from another brand.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Ask for an exchange then. Get another SSD from another brand.
    They only want to replace the unit by the same brand if they find it not pass their tests

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryonic View Post
    They only want to replace the unit by the same brand if they find it not pass their tests
    Maybe you should give them your computer to do these tests. It's hard to reproduce a problem that randomly occurs. This works in their favor, which is to not give you your money back, or even exchange it. If you paid by credit card, you could dispute the charge and let them deal with it.

15+ Year Old Account
    After I completely disabled the paging file I get this errors and warning every freeze (not sure if before freeze or when I boot up):

Errors:

Session "NT Kernel Logger" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
    and APPID
    {F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0

Warning:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.

The maximum file size for session "NT Kernel Logger" has been reached. As a result, events might be lost (not logged) to file "C:\ProgramData\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\IntelData\temp\2016_12_16__12_46_36_boot.etl". The maximum files size is currently set to 104857600 bytes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryonic View Post
    Warning:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.

The maximum file size for session "NT Kernel Logger" has been reached. As a result, events might be lost (not logged) to file "C:\ProgramData\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\IntelData\temp\2016_12_16__12_46_36_boot.etl". The maximum files size is currently set to 104857600 bytes.
    This error basically means you have a hardware problem. BTW the SSD isn't full is it? At this point I would suggest you remove the SSD and install Windows on the HDD. See how it goes and if nothing happens then the SSD is broken. You should still have warrant on the SSD from the manufacturer at least.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's warning about a HDD. It always warn about the last drive I used a paging file on even if I turn off paging. Very strange.

The SSD has more then half of the capacity free.

Might be nothing, but have you attempted to use the Disk Defragmenter to Optimize/Defrag your new SSD? I was having some minor freezing issues after installing my own SSD earlier this month and it was fixed after optimizing the drive.
    Last edited by Aflakk47; 2016-12-30 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aflakk47 View Post
    Might be nothing, but have you attempted to use the Disk Defragmenter to Optimize/Defrag your new SSD? I was having some minor freezing issues after installing my own SSD earlier this month and it was fixed after optimizing the drive.
    You should never defrag an SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    You should never defrag an SSD.
    When I got the new SSD, I installed it and cloned the C: drive from the HDD onto my SSD so I could wipe the HDD, then followed up with a fresh Windows install onto the SSD. Both before and after the windows install, I had massive FPS issues and, like I said, minor freezing issues when playing games along the lines of what the OP has described. I used the Defrag tool to merely optimize the drive which is how I fixed my issues, and from a quick google, no one says that SSDs should 'never be defragged', because they can become fragmented over time.

Unless you care to share more on your wisdom than 6 words, I was just providing a solution to a similar problem I had when the only change I made was installing a new SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    When I got the new SSD, I installed it and cloned the C: drive from the HDD onto my SSD so I could wipe the HDD, then followed up with a fresh Windows install onto the SSD. Both before and after the windows install, I had massive FPS issues and, like I said, minor freezing issues when playing games along the lines of what the OP has described. I used the Defrag tool to merely optimize the drive which is how I fixed my issues, and from a quick google, no one says that SSDs should 'never be defragged', because they can become fragmented over time.

Unless you care to share more on your wisdom than 6 words, I was just providing a solution to a similar problem I had when the only change I made was installing a new SSD
    SSDs have no search time, they have instant access to everything. Thus making a defrag unnecessary and adding to the write cycles, shortening the lifetime.

from a quick google, no one says that SSDs should 'never be defragged'
    https://encrypted.google.com/search?...e+defragmented
    Last edited by Vargur; 2016-12-30 at 01:12 AM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    SSDs have no search time, they have instant access to everything. Thus making a defrag unnecessary and adding to the write cycles, shortening the lifetime.
    Again, since you clearly missed a few words, i used the Defrag tool to OPTIMIZE THE DRIVE, not defragment it.

15+ Year Old Account

An SSD should never be defragged because they wear out the flash cells very quickly to 0 benefit of the controller, if anything a detriment because the cells are chip based and do not need a head to move.
    Also SSDs do not get fragmented, at all, if TRIM is enabled (and most OSes do) it will delete it from the SSD properly leaving no trace behind of a file that's been used or installed and moved, only magnetic drives, due to how they work, get fragmented.

Your software probably only initiated a manual TRIM command through the entire drive, this takes all of 10 - 15 seconds normally.

The problem you're describing sounds a lot like someone who had IDE mode enabled, had the SSD filled over time and deleted and did a normal format and started again with the same routine.
    This leads, some controllers more than others, to experience slow downs and hiccups in general and the cheaper models POSSIBLY minor freezes.

If you have AHCI enabled and your OS has TRIM enabled then you should never experience what you're describing, which honestly sounds more like user error rather than device error.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    An SSD should never be defragged because they wear out the flash cells very quickly to 0 benefit of the controller, if anything a detriment because the cells are chip based and do not need a head to move.
    Also SSDs do not get fragmented, at all, if TRIM is enabled (and most OSes do) it will delete it from the SSD properly leaving no trace behind of a file that's been used or installed and moved, only magnetic drives, due to how they work, get fragmented.

Your software probably only initiated a manual TRIM command through the entire drive, this takes all of 10 - 15 seconds normally.

The problem you're describing sounds a lot like someone who had IDE mode enabled, had the SSD filled over time and deleted and did a normal format and started again with the same routine.
    This leads, some controllers more than others, to experience slow downs and hiccups in general and the cheaper models POSSIBLY minor freezes.

If you have AHCI enabled and your OS has TRIM enabled then you should never experience what you're describing, which honestly sounds more like user error rather than device error.
    My OS had AHCI enabled by default with the HDD that came with it (prebuilt desktop) so I made no changes to the BIOS when installing it.

Like I said to the guy above who clearly read 1 word and came screaming to the reply button to say I'm wrong, I used the defrag tool to OPTIMIZE THE DRIVE. Yes, I'm calling it the Defrag tool because that's how I remember how to find it in Windows 7 because that's what it was called before W10 changed it to Defragment and Optimize Drives.

15+ Year Old Account
    My OS had AHCI enabled by default with the HDD that came with it (prebuilt desktop) so I made no changes to the BIOS when installing it.
    OS doesn't have AHCI, it's the BIOS that has AHCI.
    What you're referring to is TRIM enabled in the OS but if AHCI isn't enabled in the BIOS then TRIM does not work.

Most new motherboards and even pre-built OEM motherboards come with auto-enabled AHCI.
    But HP/Acer, up till a couple years ago, always left it at IDE which is irrelevant in this day and age.

Like I said to the guy above who clearly read 1 word and came screaming to the reply button to say I'm wrong, I used the defrag tool to OPTIMIZE THE DRIVE. Yes, I'm calling it the Defrag tool because that's how I remember how to find it in Windows 7 because that's what it was called before W10 changed it to Defragment and Optimize Drives.
    Well Windows 7 doesn't optimize SSDs but actually defrags the SSD (unless they updated the software but I doubt it honestly) so that's not a smart idea to do.
    Most 3rd party defrag tools actually do a manual TRIM command but until Windows 8(.1) the built-in tool only did straightforward defragments.

Regardless there have been reports of SSDs whom had garbage data on them from factory where they hadn't been erased properly due to whatever reason.
    (All SSDs get data tested before they are shipped) So you might've had this happen and although the instances for these are rare that doesn't mean you didn't have it.

Take a spare drive, install w10 on it and unhook any drive other than the OS drive. Try WoW and D3 for awhile and see if the issues persist. If they don't it's the SSD causing the problem whether it's faulty or some weird compatibility issue.
    Last edited by Iamanerd; 2016-12-30 at 01:40 AM.

OS doesn't have AHCI, it's the BIOS that has AHCI.
    What you're referring to is TRIM enabled in the OS but if AHCI isn't enabled in the BIOS then TRIM does not work.

Most new motherboards and even pre-built OEM motherboards come with auto-enabled AHCI.
    But HP/Acer, up till a couple years ago, always left it at IDE which is irrelevant in this day and age.

Well Windows 7 doesn't optimize SSDs but actually defrags the SSD (unless they updated the software but I doubt it honestly) so that's not a smart idea to do.
    Most 3rd party defrag tools actually do a manual TRIM command but until Windows 8(.1) the built-in tool only did straightforward defragments.

Regardless there have been reports of SSDs whom had garbage data on them from factory where they hadn't been erased properly due to whatever reason.
    (All SSDs get data tested before they are shipped) So you might've had this happen and although the instances for these are rare that doesn't mean you didn't have it.
    You're complaining about semantics at this point, I get it, I used a few terms out of place, thank you for the corrections. Doesn't change the fact that I used the Windows tool to manually run a TRIM command (Optimize) on the SSD and that solved all my FPS/Freezing issues.

The thread has cleared most of this up for me. But no you should never defrag an SSD if you understand what a "defrag" is and how an SSD works. You trimed your SSD. TLDR that would fix the issues you caused by "cloning" your HDD over to your SSD. Now I'm a bit confused. How did you do a "fresh install of windows" if you copyed/cloned your HDD's files onto your SSD? If you did a "fresh install" there would be nothing left on that drive which would defeat the purpose of copying your files from the HDD over to the SSD. Straight up "copying" all of your files from the HDD to the SSD would cause issues.

I must be missing something here so help me out.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're complaining about semantics at this point, I get it, I used a few terms out of place, thank you for the corrections. Doesn't change the fact that I used the Windows tool to manually run a TRIM command (Optimize) on the SSD and that solved all my FPS/Freezing issues.
    No complaining in my post whatsoever, just correcting you on the information.

Also you have not actually read the last paragraph have you? Explaining a possible cause of.

However just to show you that even MS tells you not to use the defrag tool in Windows 7 because it doesn't support manual TRIM:
    KB2727880 - Microsoft's own support article

So I will repeat myself in saying that the built-in defrag tool of Windows 7 does not manually send TRIM commands.

So how it fixed your issue is probably coincidence or whatever but don't say it does when MS themselves say that it does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    The thread has cleared most of this up for me. But no you should never defrag an SSD if you understand what a "defrag" is and how an SSD works. You trimed your SSD. TLDR that would fix the issues you caused by "cloning" your HDD over to your SSD. Now I'm a bit confused. How did you do a "fresh install of windows" if you copyed/cloned your HDD's files onto your SSD? If you did a "fresh install" there would be nothing left on that drive which would defeat the purpose of copying your files from the HDD over to the SSD. Straight up "copying" all of your files from the HDD to the SSD would cause issues.

I must be missing something here so help me out.
    Installed the SSD and ran the drive cloning program that came with it. Copied the C: drive from the original HDD onto the SSD. Went to play some games and had massive FPS drops and freezing issues.
    After a day or two seeing what I could do to get the issues to stop, I used the Media Creation Tool to install Windows 10 again onto the SSD. Went through that whole process (still have Windows.old left over from the clone), and still had issues when trying to game.
    Last resort was to TRIM (Optimize) the SSD using the Windows tool; haven't had an FPS/Freezing issue since.

I offered this solution to the OP because I did not see anyone bring it up in the previous pages and I was able to solve my similar issues by doing it.

- - - Updated - - -

No complaining in my post whatsoever, just correcting you on the information.

Also you have not actually read the last paragraph have you? Explaining a possible cause of.

However just to show you that even MS tells you not to use the defrag tool in Windows 7 because it doesn't support manual TRIM:
    KB2727880 - Microsoft's own support article

So I will repeat myself in saying that the built-in defrag tool of Windows 7 does not manually send TRIM commands.

So how it fixed your issue is probably coincidence or whatever but don't say it does when MS themselves say that it does not.
    I'm on Windows 10, have always been Windows 10 on this new computer. On my old laptop, which ran Windows 7, I always found the tool by searching for 'Defrag', which still brings up the same program in Windows 10. You're jumping to conclusions about what I'm running because I said 'That's how I found the tool on Windows 7'

Installed the SSD and ran the drive cloning program that came with it. Copied the C: drive from the original HDD onto the SSD. Went to play some games and had massive FPS drops and freezing issues.
    After a day or two seeing what I could do to get the issues to stop, I used the Media Creation Tool to install Windows 10 again onto the SSD. Went through that whole process (still have Windows.old left over from the clone), and still had issues when trying to game.
    Last resort was to TRIM (Optimize) the SSD using the Windows tool; haven't had an FPS/Freezing issue since.

I offered this solution to the OP because I did not see anyone bring it up in the previous pages and I was able to solve my similar issues by doing it.

'
    I'm still a bit confused to be quite frank, I'm going to stop going offtopic after this though. But, how did you do a "Fresh Install" after you cloned the drive? A "fresh install" implies you "wiped" or "reformatted" the drive before you install windows on it, or during the installer "media creation tool" but based on what you're saying is you did a "upgrade" which isn't a fresh install at all.