Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hospicedoc View Post
    Any World of Warcraft players been around more than 10 years and remember the days when you pretty much had to be nice in game? This was before the days of Blizzard services like server transfers, cross-realm play, LFR, and faction and name changes, etc. You had to stay on the server where you rolled your character. This reinforced the need for cordial gameplay because if you were rude, a ninja, or other negative behavior, then word would get out and people would not run with you. You know when you log into the game and sometimes it says "if you are polite in groups, people will invite you back"? .... or something like that? It seems that doesn't apply anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think that server transfers, cross-realm play, LFR, and faction/name changes are a bad thing and, in fact, I've availed myself of them several times over the years as I was trying to find a raiding guild on another server that met my needs based school or work restrictions. I just wonder it it's politeness in general that has seemed to diminish over time ingame, the issues of all the cited Blizzard services that allow people to get away with being rude because they know they can just pay to change their name or server, or a combination of both.

I say this without pointing fingers at others because I too am guilty, I think. I have found myself less tolerant of others at times knowing that I likely won't run into them again, since it's LFR. Any way, I just thought I'd start a dialogue on this for those who are interested in the topic to hear other's thoughts, and I welcome them. I am curious too, if anyone has any viable solutions to how Blizzard could more effectively promote less nasty behavior than the current practices, or if it's just gone forever, or if people think everything is fine the way it is.
    Yes, and when you could ruin someones rep by getting a few friends to spread some bullshit about someone just for the fun of it.
    Pretty much forcing that person to reroll or quit.

When the chat was filled with "Don't play with Player X, he's a ninja".

Yeah, great times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    If you believe that personal reputation doesn't matter you are part of the problem mate.
    Thats not what I was saying. I mean, even if you're known as the server jerk, cross-realm groups don't know who you are. Before cross-realm shit, your reputation mattered more because you only played with people on that server.

Yeah man, back in the day everyone was nice!
    >Serenity Now crashes funeral service
    >Mass rerolls to illidan
    Server is a "toxic" cesspool
    #1 US server since vanilla

Lol do people actually believe that people were nice(r) back then? People were the same dicks they were today that they were back then. Maybe you suffered on your low pop roleplaying realm, but trust me, player rep didn't matter there either.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I actually ran into the GM of the top guild on our server while doing one of the WQ PVP towers. We nuked the "boss", whistled out. /shrug

Ran into someone on my friends list 3 times while leveling (first week), that was neat. A lot of the zones are fairly empty in the mornings now.
    Not sure how any of this pertains to the sentence you quoted me on lol. How does running into the GM of a guild mean anything about your personal reputation on your server?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Yes, and when you could ruin someones rep by getting a few friends to spread some bullshit about someone just for the fun of it.
    Pretty much forcing that person to reroll or quit.

When the chat was filled with "Don't play with Player X, he's a ninja".

Yeah, great times.
    My server had some players from Something Awful forums and they organized that sort of stuff on purpose (that was pretty much the only reason they were playing I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    My server had some players from Something Awful forums and they organized that sort of stuff on purpose (that was pretty much the only reason they were playing I think).
    It was pretty common, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapped View Post
    Not sure how any of this pertains to the sentence you quoted me on lol. How does running into the GM of a guild mean anything about your personal reputation on your server?
    Even when you do see someone you "know" you don't have any interaction. I get the occasional "thanks" for saving someones ass, since I still do most world quests as resto, but yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I mostly pug and only toxicity I saw was in trade chat and daily heroic dungeons/LFR (oh, and PVP, but this is obvious ;P). In mythic and mythic+ I met only few toxic people. I usually start group myself, so they get kick and ignore. And most cool atmosphere I saw was when I progressed Karazhan - of course after impatient people left and we all was aware that we must endure wipes to finish it - and there is no other difficulty, so we must do it if we want to see content. So maybe it's some truth in what OP said - we are nice when we had to be nice.

Even when you do see someone you "know" you don't have any interaction. I get the occasional "thanks" for saving someones ass, since I still do most world quests as resto, but yeah.
    So you are looking for gratitude for doing your job now?

I don't think people were nicer. But yea reputation amongst the server community was more of a thing.

You don't even need to change the realm. Just change name / race and you are a "new" person more or less.

I remember back on the Server i started playing there were guilds / players known to everybody be it positive or negative. Nowadays that doesn't really exist anymore. At least on my server.

Not really, but unpartied ass saving out when someones getting smashed by an elite rare... a /hug goes a long way.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

An asshole will always be an asshole regardless if there is any consequences or not.

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, I can see that. You no longer need a guild or even a tight circle of friends to get shit done anymore. Pug pug pug pug. It's all people want to do it seems.

- - - Updated - - -

Could you be any more rude? My god. Healing an un-grouped random out in the world that's getting beat on by an elite isn't any healer's "job"....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    An asshole will always be an asshole regardless if there is any consequences or not.
    True, but, for example, if you hosted a pug raid, lets say back in Wrath, and you ninja'd something, the whole server would probably know about it. There were actually blacklists back then kept by guilds. Now it doesn't matter as much., if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapped View Post
    Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, I can see that. You no longer need a guild or even a tight circle of friends to get shit done anymore. Pug pug pug pug. It's all people want to do it seems.

- - - Updated - - -

Could you be any more rude? My god. Healing an un-grouped random out in the world that's getting beat on by an elite isn't any healer's "job"....

- - - Updated - - -

True, but, for example, if you hosted a pug raid, lets say back in Wrath, and you ninja'd something, the whole server would probably know about it. There were actually blacklists back then kept by guilds. Now it doesn't matter as much., if at all.
    I see the problem now.
    No matter what people do or don't do you will be offended by it.
    Well friend i don't know how to put it but you have issues.

Healers job is to heal period in dungeons or out in the world, grouped or not especially now when there is tag free mobs every where aka healing that dude gives you credit for killing the mob as well.

But keep been offended i suppose.

This is all feely good bullshit. The players that got places and got stuff done in Vanilla weren't nice people more often than not. Server reputation doesn't and didn't mean anything if you're the best guild on the server. You do what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    No ninja looting. Everyone on the server found out in a matter of hours, and that person never got a group again. Re-roll or quit basically were the two options.
    You must never have done stuff. Ninja looting was rife in BC. There were plenty of assholes around in BC. There was no real consequence for players for doing any of these things. This "community" that people speak of never really existed. You were still one person out there among thousands and only the weak thought that their fellow player gave a shit about them. It was only the guilds that existed that mattered. I was in a guild over a few xpacs that had a good name for progress as well as trying to be a social member of the server. We were good enough to run pugs for alts where we just invited people irrelevant of their gear score. The only rule was if you mentioned performance of anyone else or gear, you were out. We told our members to never involve yourself with chat and to always be good guys. If they didn't they were out. What happened? We were kicking players every week. People went from raiding current tier at server leading pace to nothing. People organised their own (older) raids or 5 mans and once a month, we had to deal witth ninja looting and we were not the only guild.

Some people choose to be assholes and always have been. People choose to ninja loot and always have. Only a moron would think that this never happened in the "olden days". Open your eyes people. Stop being sheeple. Currently we are in a golden age where you can be friends with anyone on any server. That is where your community is now.

This is pretty much the biggest knock on crossrealm functionality in my eyes. It allows this whole "MoS+2 880+" mentality to flourish - given the massive pool of players to choose from - and removes personal accountability for your actions. Shit still happened of course, but if you acted like a shitbag word of mouth would happen and people would at least be wary about joining your groups. These days nobody gives a damn and everyone treats player interaction with hostility. Combine this with no real punishment for being a douche and no real benefit for being nice and you have WoW as it is now, an antisocial game with millions of awkward people who barely interact.

While I don't think they'll do it, this is a big reason I'd love the so-called "Pristine" realm idea. It may be too late, but it'd probably be the most refreshing thing to come to WoW for me in a long time if they created realms that did not have CRZ, dungeon queues and forced people to actually cooperate again.

Quote Originally Posted by soccershot View Post
    You must never have done stuff. Ninja looting was rife in BC. There were plenty of assholes around in BC. There was no real consequence for players for doing any of these things. This "community" that people speak of never really existed. You were still one person out there among thousands and only the weak thought that their fellow player gave a shit about them. It was only the guilds that existed that mattered. I was in a guild over a few xpacs that had a good name for progress as well as trying to be a social member of the server. We were good enough to run pugs for alts where we just invited people irrelevant of their gear score. The only rule was if you mentioned performance of anyone else or gear, you were out. We told our members to never involve yourself with chat and to always be good guys. If they didn't they were out. What happened? We were kicking players every week. People went from raiding current tier at server leading pace to nothing. People organised their own (older) raids or 5 mans and once a month, we had to deal witth ninja looting and we were not the only guild.

Some people choose to be assholes and always have been. People choose to ninja loot and always have. Only a moron would think that this never happened in the "olden days". Open your eyes people. Stop being sheeple. Currently we are in a golden age where you can be friends with anyone on any server. That is where your community is now.
    Of course it happened. Way to miss the point...

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    No ninja looting. Everyone on the server found out in a matter of hours, and that person never got a group again. Re-roll or quit basically were the two options.
    Bullshit. 0.00001% of community that found out is not everyone and those "ninjas" were finding new groups anyway. People kept on "ninjaing" the items because they could easily get away with it.
    Last edited by Einsz; 2016-12-20 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Einsz View Post
    Bullshit. 0.00001% of community that found out is not everyone and those "ninjas" were finding new groups anyway. People kept on "ninjaing" the items because they could easily get away with it.
    Oh the sweet irony.