Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hospicedoc View Post
    Any World of Warcraft players been around more than 10 years and remember the days when you pretty much had to be nice in game? This was before the days of Blizzard services like server transfers, cross-realm play, LFR, and faction and name changes, etc. You had to stay on the server where you rolled your character. This reinforced the need for cordial gameplay because if you were rude, a ninja, or other negative behavior, then word would get out and people would not run with you. You know when you log into the game and sometimes it says "if you are polite in groups, people will invite you back"? .... or something like that? It seems that doesn't apply anymore.
    I wasn't nice.... I remember PvPing hardcore on my Horde and would just /afk out of WSG whenever I was about to die or something because we could instantly requeue and get back in immediately. So I was abusing the hell out of this. (there were no deserter debuff and alliance outnumbered horde at the time like 10:1, so WSG (the only BG available at the time) queues were instant).

I remember a bunch of raging alliance making posts about it in the wow forums. Was pretty funny.

I was the first Horde Warrior on my server to get his full set of PvP gear. People called me the beetle cuz it looked like one.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

i usually try to be nice or keep to myself... being nice in game will make you friends

Quote Originally Posted by Linri View Post
    i usually try to be nice or keep to myself... being nice in game will make you friends
    Being a dick makes you just as much friends, you'd be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    That our genes, the things that determine if I'm short or tall, super smart or "thick" have absolutely, 100% no bearing whatsoever on the person I might become. It's purely based on that one time my bother got that extra hug that I didn't?
    I never said that
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I never said that
    Didn't meant to imply you did. I quoted Jabberwock who thinks I'm thick headed, because I believe two people raised in the exact same environment, at roughly the same time, by the same people, should come out roughly the same. But if they come out different, the difference might be because of genetics, instead of life experiences during that phase. (which I'm not disagreeing is also a possibility).

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Let's ignore everything bad CZR brings just because it brings something good, RIGHT?

No.

That argument is weak, flawed and cherry picking at its finest.
    Yes you should ignore that "bad" things, because they are bad for you and for the oldies one. Is one of the best things the games has with sharding.

That feel of community and kindness with ppl is old. No one in 2016 wants to be nice to morons only because they will be banned from community.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    ooh I member
    +1

/10char

So in other words you weren't nice, you just had to pretend to be to get what you wanted.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Where did you guys get all those rose-colored glasses?

Funny story, a couple days ago I was hanging in Dalaran on my ToGC Insanity mount, this paladin runs up to me, then after a while he whispers asking where he could get the mount.
    I kindly responded that it was unobtainable at this point etc. Then I get this - "Wow you actually replied"

Says it all, really.
    [URL="http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/sylvanas/Swaap/advanced[/URL]

Deleted
    I have as much interaction now (both good and bad) with other people in the game as I had back in tbc when I started. In fact, I remember meeting a lot more dicks in tbc and wotlk than I do now. All these "people used to be nicer back then" claims are just a select few good memories, while the bad ones are usually just forgotten.

This sense of community can be regained, but they have to do a couple of things first:

1) Merge all the realms into a much smaller amount of megaservers using the realm-linking tech they used back in MoP, so nobody has to change names, reform guilds, etc. They have the technology with phasing and shards now to be able to accommodate many more people on a single realm than ever before. Faction balance should be taken into account as much as possible on both PvE and PvP realms in order to have both factions roughly equal. Remove RP realms completely (sorry folks, but you can still RP and now you have a much larger pool of people to draw from).

2) Remove cross-realm everything, with the exception for people on your friends list (so you can group with friends). All raids and dungeons (including Mythic Plus) are your-megaserver-only now.

3) Random queues (LFR, random dungeons, random battlegrounds, etc.) now only match you with people on your megaserver. There should be a huge pool of people to draw from now, so queue times wouldn't suffer.

That's it. Three steps. Problem solved.

Realm transfers and faction transfers would still be allowed. Can't really go back to the vanilla days of no transfers. That horse left the barn a long time ago.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham on Rye View Post
    This sense of community can be regained, but they have to do a couple of things first:

1) Merge all the realms into a much smaller amount of megaservers using the realm-linking tech they used back in MoP, so nobody has to change names, reform guilds, etc. They have the technology with phasing and shards now to be able to accommodate many more people on a single realm than ever before. Faction balance should be taken into account as much as possible on both PvE and PvP realms in order to have both factions roughly equal. Remove RP realms completely (sorry folks, but you can still RP and now you have a much larger pool of people to draw from).

2) Remove cross-realm everything, with the exception for people on your friends list (so you can group with friends). All raids and dungeons (including Mythic Plus) are your-megaserver-only now.

3) Random queues (LFR, random dungeons, random battlegrounds, etc.) now only match you with people on your megaserver. There should be a huge pool of people to draw from now, so queue times wouldn't suffer.

That's it. Three steps. Problem solved.

Realm transfers and faction transfers would still be allowed. Can't really go back to the vanilla days of no transfers. That horse left the barn a long time ago.
    Completely agree we need mega realm merges, the other day i was looking how many servers there were, even if they kept languages and pvp/pve seperate it would be fine to have at least 3-4 times less realms.

Blizz did announce a look at more connected realms, but still its been 6 weeks since blizzcon by now, so Í don't expect any news till 2017 or they wouldve said something, I doubt they want to shake things up so close to Nighthold release.

I hope at least something is said and done before 7.2 (I assume the Tomb of Sargeras raid will come later then the other changes anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    As you said it yourself, it is your choice due to a perception of there not being consequences.
    That isn't a fault of the game design, but of you only as it is you making that decision in the end.

It was never a case of "having" to be nice, it was a choice to be that.
    Just as the rules and the consequences of breaking those rules in real life society strongly influence behavior, so do the rules and consequences of a game system. They removed any sort of consequence for bad behavior by allowing 'get out of jail free' cards for poorly behaving players. This IS due to game design.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swaap View Post
    Funny story, a couple days ago I was hanging in Dalaran on my ToGC Insanity mount, this paladin runs up to me, then after a while he whispers asking where he could get the mount.
    I kindly responded that it was unobtainable at this point etc. Then I get this - "Wow you actually replied"

Says it all, really.
    Yeah that is a rare thing these days. I actually had a conversation with another player just prior to Legion release. We both commented that neither of us had talked to a stranger in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    I hope at least something is said and done before 7.2 (I assume the Tomb of Sargeras raid will come later then the other changes anyway).
    Chances of something being said and done:

Said? Doubtful but possible.

Done? Slim to none, and Slim has just left the building.

well if you're stuck playing with the same people over and over you'd better be nice to them because you need them for group content, does it make you feel much better when morons spam things like ty,np,cu with smilies after them? i appreciate a way to escape the said people much more tbh, after all not everyone is interested in socialicing via video games

imo it's a very weird point of view you pick to find the good side of a bad thing, personally i'd rather have people free to act like they want, if they want to be morons why not let them? it's not hard to deal with it, you have options: flame them back, politely explain to them why they're wrong, kick them, ignore them, switch to combat chat or whatever suits your personality and mood more

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    If you believe that personal reputation doesn't matter you are part of the problem mate.
    the problem is as "well-known" you thought you were, it still only extended to small cliques for the most part the vast majority of people playing on your realm didn't know who you were or cared less about your "reputation"

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Phoenix View Post
    Yeah I remember. A certain memory from back in Classic comes to mind, we were running Shadowfang Keep and were making our way up the stairs some way inside the castle, I spotted a treasure chest that everyone else seemed to have missed and went up to loot it. A group member immediately asked me to pass him leader because he had to do something, and then promptly kicked me from the group stating that I stole the chest we should all have rolled for.

Don't know if his behaviour was justified or not, but I was very young back then and didn't really know all the rules for things like that, it was most certainly not my intention to steal from the group. I did learn to ask for similar things from then on, however.
    The only two memories I have of meeting people in the world and bad behavior ruining stuff are once I had an Alliance paladin that I would just target and kill every time TM/SS broke out. Like it was my job to kill him. He came over to the Horde, whispered me saying he was sick of me killing him so he decided to join my side. The other was our old guild master Ninja looted all the Onyxia loot then left the group on a PuG because he missed the raid. Our guild got blackballed from any group activity. That was the first time I paid for a server transfer.

However, I have made more friends since cross realm grouping became a thing. For me it became the meeting place of other players.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't need whatever environment in Vanilla WoW to be nice to people. I was nice because oh I dunno I was raised to be that way. Don't be a dick and you will be liked. Once again, nostalgia is blinding. Also cross realm was inevitable because let's say WoW didn't do as well, eventually it would need to compensate for low pop servers or do we leave them in the dust because *community*.

I didn't think so.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

You've got it all backwards... back in the day the players that were at the highest echelon of any given server didn't have to be nice because they knew that they were the only way for you to see endgame content. YOU had to be "nice" to THEM, and many took advantage of that by giving you the opportunity to suck up to them before any greeting had even been exchanged. If you stuck around long enough you would eventually become the monster and do this to others in return.

WoW has always been a bit of a breeding ground for narcissistic behavior but the way that the community of old worked you were literally trapped in some fairly toxic environments whereas now you have the choice to keep looking, which will actually make people act nicer towards you.