Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Aw, too bad OP. You'll have to find some other way to get "Convicted Felon" on your resume.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Good. It should be blocked everywhere. Buy your damn music, TV shows, and movies
    Don't be like that, matey!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Aw, too bad OP. You'll have to find some other way to get "Convicted Felon" on your resume.
    ...For downloading pirated material?

lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Go back to your bridge troll. Charlie and Frank are down there looking for you, they said they want to rage.

- - - Updated - - -

Sad world we live in where we feel bad for Studios making billions. You understand that actors and "movie people" get paid regardless, right?
    Most get paid on a percentage of sales

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there are any countries that consider piracy to be a felony or their regional equivalent. Hell, I don't know the local laws in Australia on the subject but, in every country I'm familiar with outside of the states it'd actually cost companies money in order to try and crack down on small scale pirates.

- - - Updated - - -

It's varies wildly depending on the actor and movie, but many do get royalties. Though it should be noted it's typically a tiny percentage and more or less irrelevant compared to their upfront payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    ...For downloading pirated material?

lol
    In the US, yes, if you download enough of it.

https://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html#506

(see 506.a.1.B)
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Good. It should be blocked everywhere. Buy your damn music, TV shows, and movies
    You do realize that (((hollywood))) and the (((music industry))), who are the majority distributors of those types of entertainment also pushed for Hillary to be president with the same money you used to buy their goods?
    Kinda funny if you think about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the US, yes, if you download enough of it.

https://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html#506

(see 506.a.1.B)
    Gotta fill those prisons somehow, I see.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    So stealing is okay if prices are high?
    sure it is

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    If your an Aussie like me... Sad to inform you all that the pirate bay is now blocked down under.

/
    hahahaha blocked? hahahahaha murican here and blocked sites just pretty much means im gonna use a tunnel/proxy site:P

On topic though, REALLY? Thats really sad and pathetic

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Why do people need to torrent?

Buy your software/movies etc legally.
    1. Because money
    2. Because fast and easy
    3. Because you cannot buy some obscure things

I basically buy everything I torrent. Sometimes I just want to watch a film and then I can just torrent the damn thing instead of buying online and watching it whenever the mail decides to arrive. ''But Netflix'', yes I know, however it basically only has mainstream American crap. I would also rather not blindly spend money on films I might not like; I have bought things because of torrenting I would have never otherwise bought.
    You try buying ''Torka aldrig tarar utan handskar''... thank Christ torrenting isn't going away in the Netherlands for the foreseeable future

...I refuse to pay hundreds of <currency> for things like Sony Vegas Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Why don't people just watch streams? Then you don't have illegally downloaded material.
    1) Australia has shit Internet and most plans have data-caps that don't provide unmetered content benefits for streaming

2) Most streams I've tried accessing in Australia aren't available here because of some stupid law that prevents easy access to that content until it's been shown on local free-to-air or pay TV, or just straight up aren't available without a VPN (which is also considered pseudo-illegal here)

3) Local free-to-air and pay TV is overpriced, treats the consumer like shit and generally has a good chance of ruining any enjoyment you'd get from watching the show in the first place

Netflix came out here about a year ago. Within a month it accounted for something like 15%-50% of some ISP's total Internet traffic for the month. That's because Netflix is cheap, accessible, timely and several other problems that go a way toward reducing piracy. Unfortunately they then got forced to block VPNs accessing the US Netflix store which took away 90% of the content we could access, so I'm not sure how many people are still subscribed to Netflix at this point. I am, but I don't know how common it is.

Point is, Netflix was succeeding. It scared our local providers and encouraged them to start trying streaming content for the first time. Unfortunately, again, this results in what content US Netflix has being spread out across several platforms. One of the points that leads to piracy is expensive prices; $10 a month is barely anything, but $40 is a lot more noticeable. And when you get to Foxtel, who released a "cheap, accessible" platform to let people watch a season of Game of Thrones with no lock-in contract for only $150 for three months... Basically about $12.5 a week and they called that "cheap". That's not what most people would think.

Plenty of people here would be happy to wait for the DVDs to come out, and plenty do, but with the Internet being the Internet you're allowing yourself to be opened to spoilers unless you watch things ASAP. Other things never come out. Look at anime; I'd be happy to pay a subscription to Japan in return for torrenting anime I know is never going to be localised, but as far as I can tell that system doesn't exist. Maybe Crunchyroll, but again, they don't have all the anime I wanna watch. Maybe some people think it's a problem downloading things that will never be released in your region anyway but I don't see how that's a problem. If it was always impossible for the creators to get a sale in my country, what have they lost when someone in my country downloads it for free?

I mean, the one good thing to come out of all this is I've become less and less interested in new media as time goes on. I'll go watch a movie or buy an album if I like it, I'll download an anime if it's unavailable in my region, and I'll stay subscribed to Netflix for the foreseeable future in the hopes they'll get some decent content on their lists, but anything on Fox is an automatic lolno. I still firmly believe the best way to combat piracy, though, is to provide fairly priced content and deliver it in a convenient and timely manner. If you could rent a new season of Game of Thrones directly from the creators, for example, no matter what country you lived in, I'm sure piracy for that show would plummet. As it is, the factors all feed in to piracy, and the attempts to block said piracy only either shove people who were interested out of the market or encourage more disdain toward companies trying to nickle and dime consumers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Like the US needs more reasons to put people away lol
    Private prisons would love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way I see it, pirating solves two of the biggest issues plaguing the entertainment industry; censorship and availability. I see no reason for people to stop until two conditions are met:

The government's of the world stop telling their ADULT citizens what movies, shows, games, and music they are and are not allowed to consume with or without censeroship...

...AND...

Hollywood gets off its ass and offers a way to download and stream new movies/shows on day one of release.

Until then, keep doing what you're doing. Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Snip.
    Exactly my point, TY.
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2016-12-21 at 02:10 AM.

Hmm introducing a nationwide internet censorship scheme doesn't make me feel very comfortable, as it will eventually be used to take away a legitimate freedom. The cork has been popped however, and nobody said anything about it. Guess people are happy with it, or too apathetic to care.

Must admit though, piracy is only so prevalent since the legitimate services offered are completely terrible. High costs, months behind the US, advertisements on every paid tv channel and must be watched on a set schedule or recorded. Netflix is the first decent competitor, yet the nationwide horrible internet speeds limit what can be streamed, leaving torrent downloads in preperation an attractive option.
    Moo.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Why don't people just watch streams? Then you don't have illegally downloaded material.
    Because I'm a hoarder. It's not enough to have seen a thing. I need to have it present, cataloged, and filed away forever/until my HDD dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Correct, but some actors also get a percentage of the $$ that the movie takes at the Box Office.

Yes the studio might be making millions, but using torrent like feeds is still considered stealing.

Its like walking into Macy's and shop lifting. Because Macy's is a million dollar department store.
    No, it's not. It's like someone else buying something from Macy's and you borrowing this thing for a night.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Ffs I don't watch south park, but that's the cringiest thing I've seen. SOME people pirating is not a problem, the problem comes when everyone does it. And that's the objective of this ban, reduce the number of people who pirate. The more obstacles you put the less incentives people have to pirate.
    You clearly don't know how marketing works. You think it's horrible, yet they actually earn much more now than they ever did before pirating. Why do you think that is?

- - - Updated - - -

No. Most get paid up front. Some take a percentage, especially the famous ones that earn millions of dollars (and it's usually these kind of movies that are downloaded the most). They're not being hurt by this at all (they're getting more money than ever), and even if they were, what's the justification for these kind of salaries?

Easy enough to get around.

Keep in mind that Australia has censorship laws that prevent you from directly purchasing certain items, as there is no R rating for videogames (see Stick of Truth) and there are also American services which flatly do not work for Australians. It's easy to say "well these artists will not get money otherwise", but the thing is, without using VPNs or other workarounds, we may not be able to access their content anyway.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    No, it's not. It's like someone else buying something from Macy's and you borrowing this thing for a night.

- - - Updated - - -

You clearly don't know how marketing works. You think it's horrible, yet they actually earn much more now than they ever did before pirating. Why do you think that is?
    If I offer you something for free, with no downsides would you accept it or buy the original stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    If I offer you something for free, with no downsides would you accept it or buy the original stuff?
    Depends. In any case, you still don't know how marketing works. Piracy promotes people spreading the word about said movies or music, which means people listen and there are always paying customers.

Free marketing is very valuable.

Now, these large corporations don't like the loss of control, because it means they also have competitors in indie movements that can upload their own things. They also know that with more strict laws they can keep suing people for absurd amounts.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2016-12-21 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Depends. In any case, you still don't know how marketing works. Piracy promotes people spreading the word about said movies or music, which means people listen and there are always paying customers.

Free marketing is very valuable.
    I like to put the example of imports that come from Asia. People virtue signal how much they dissaprove of how certain countries treat their citizens like slaves and yet still buy iphones manufactured in Asia, same with clothing. This same example goes to piracy ,if piracy had no downsides everyone save some few idiots would do it and that's a problem, so the more hoops the goverment/companies put the less people would want to pirate. And that's the point of my post.

Also I don't think word of pirates spread faster than the word of normal consumers.