Poll: Would you like a class-changing option to be available?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Well, FFXIV does this perfectly well. Paying for this would be hilarious.
    FFXIV system is optimal in every way. It's ridiculus how WoW didn't steal the great idea FFXIV had.
    For the people who don't know; In FFXIV you change class the same way that you change your specc in wow now, that click would turn your level 110 rogue into a level 102 demon hunter, for example. Your character is just one, badass, multi-classing killing machine. You have to level all the same, just it's actually the same character.
    Wow gets an oppertunity every single expansion to actually steal all the innovative ideas from other mmos, yet they always fail to commit fully. FFXIV also had full scaling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saeros View Post
    i don't get why after 10 pages people like you can't really see the difference between
    -new character (basically everything from zero, except mount, title and transmog)
    -same character (with all his reputation, currencies, unlocked things, profession...)

or how can you think that a 12h leveling "effort" is the only thing people that want class change care
    dude, we KNOW there is a boost to 100, who f cares about leveling. some people are even ok in losing all the levels on the character just keep the rest, who cares if they want to do it. there is really nothing that can go bad for people that don't care.
    why do you all care so much about other people reputations/currencies and attunement?
    just let them keep it who cares.

you only care about the leveling? wow, pretty short-sighted view.
    and even if it was a huge issue, as you know, we already have a lvl boost, so what will be the difference if people are ok to give up a class just to keep everything else?
    none.
    This is just all an excuse to be the FOtM class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    What do I think?

I think why the fuck do you even play an MMORPG if you don't want to play a MMORPG. What you're suggesting is like saying I wish Harry Potter could be Ron Weasley if we just gave him a bit of a quest chain, because wouldn't it be fun to be Ron but also have done all the shit Harry did. Your character is a distinct person in the game world. Your account is not your character. Your character is not an amalgam of all the different characters you've ever played rolled into one.

I think if you honestly feel the way you do that you should find a different type of game to play.
    So what you're saying is that you've never changed your job? Or specialization? As in, if you started out as a... lawyer for example, you could never be... a programmer for example? In the end, that's changing your specialization, right? And nobody could EVER do that, right?

Also, a thing called race change exists. That's more in line with your example and guess what, you can be Ron as Harry. Just pay for a look change. You can even be Hermione. In the end, they were all the same class, wizard. But then, Hagrid for example could never be a wizard. He failed his exams and he was just a creature breeder. And you can't change your class. So Hagrid will never be a wizard no matter how much he tries.

Oh, and a thing called faction change exists too in WoW! So, in your example, Voldemort could just change his faction to be on the side of Harry after killing so many. And nobody would bat an eye.
    So give me a break, you talk to me about RPG elements when one could actually change their class/specialization/job IRL, it's a natural horizontal progression for many, yet IRL nobody could, as you say, become from Ron Harry or have Voldemort join Harry's side yet we can do these things in WoW through look/race change and faction change?
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2016-12-21 at 07:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Also, a thing called race change exists. That's more in line with your example and guess what, you can be Ron as Harry. Just pay for a look change. You can even be Hermione. In the end, they were all the same class, wizard. But then, Hagrid for example could never be a wizard. He failed his exams and he was just a creature breeder. And you can't change your class. So Hagrid will never be a wizard no matter how much he tries.
    Yeah, and in the sense of an RPG, none of those things really make sense. I wish none of them were available.

The last line drawn is class changing, and because it's not purely cosmetic I feel that it should not be crossed. If it is, WoW will be absolutely no longer an RPG game.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Read OP's post and try again folks. OP says they have items you can't get anymore, for example. I imagine the orb of Caer Darrow is one such thing. Bring on the class change option.

Deleted
    Yeah, and in the sense of an RPG, none of those things really make sense. I wish none of them were available.

The last line drawn is class changing, and because it's not purely cosmetic I feel that it should not be crossed. If it is, WoW will be absolutely no longer an RPG game.
    As I said, class change is something that's done IRL through your profession change. So, in a way, it's more realistic than the others from a RPG point of view.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    Read OP's post and try again folks. OP says they have items you can't get anymore, for example. I imagine the orb of Caer Darrow is one such thing. Bring on the class change option.
    Yes, that actually is one of the items actually. From that area I also have the spectral rifle to free spectral citizens and that item that turns Ras Frostwhisper from the dungeon into a mortal.

I am not seeing what I consider a good argument there, at least not for a class change.
    There have been demands for reputations account-wide for instance, which resolves that issue better.

This seems more like a solution looking for a problem to justify it.

Achievements cease to have any value when you can get them on whatever class you choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Oh, and a thing called faction change exists too in WoW! So, in your example, Voldemort could just change his faction to be on the side of Harry after killing so many. And nobody would bat an eye.
    So give me a break, you talk to me about RPG elements when one could actually change their class/specialization/job IRL, it's a natural horizontal progression for many, yet IRL nobody could, as you say, become from Ron Harry or have Voldemort join Harry's side yet we can do these things in WoW through look/race change and faction change?
    Completely agree, they already let you change race, faction and gender. So any type of RPG Lore or whatever you want to call it has gone out the window a very long time ago.

how about you dont change class, but instead as the demigod hero of azeroth you are now, you are able to learn something new? how cool would it be to have a quest chain where your warlock renounces his darkness and becomes a follower of the light? or your rogue steps out of the shadows and picks up two handers? npcs are already doing it, so i dont see why we shouldnt be able to do it aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said, class change is something that's done IRL through your profession change. So, in a way, it's more realistic than the others from a RPG point of view.
    We aren't magic users in real life, so it's pretty different.

Get back to me when it makes any kind of sense that a warrior can instantly change into a fully-trained warlock, bearing in mind that he will forget everything that he knew about being a warrior prior to that. This isn't Skyrim, where one character can train forever and become a master of many disciplines - this is a game where you have one single class, and no skills that deviate from that class.

Show me a mage who studied his entire life to become a master of the arcane arts that then decided to become a rogue and in doing so completely forgot everything he had ever studied about magic. This isn't the same thing as dual-classes from D&D, this is just transferring your character to another class template.

Deleted
    We aren't magic users in real life, so it's pretty different.

Get back to me when it makes any kind of sense that a warrior can instantly change into a fully-trained warlock, bearing in mind that he will forget everything that he knew about being a warrior prior to that. This isn't Skyrim, where one character can train forever and become a master of many disciplines - this is a game where you have one single class, and no skills that deviate from that class.

Show me a mage who studied his entire life to become a master of the arcane arts that then decided to become a rogue and in doing so completely forgot everything he had ever studied about magic. This isn't the same thing as dual-classes from D&D, this is just transferring your character to another class template.
    Well, the forgetting part is easy. Warrior to warlock? Ok. The Warrior had its arm, leg and some ribs broken by a creature. It could not move for days so the bones started fusing badly. When he/she was found and healed, due to earlier bone and muscle fusing oddly, the warrior could no longer hold all kinds of weapons and perform his amazing feats without severe pain. He/she decided that they'd need to still help Azeroth somehow, and they will do this by learning of demons and using said demons as their protectors and damage dealers while they use their former hatred to churn spells they'll learn. In a proper setting, this would be something going on over months or even years, which is why it takes 1 year to change a class in my suggestion.

We can do the opposite too. Warlock had his pets abandon him/her to the Legion. He/she was found by a fellhound who sucked the magic out of them. He/she killed the fellhound with a random plank nearby and decided they would never be so weak anymore. They would learn to fight, as to not depend on creatures that can abandon them to the Legion. Even if the fellhound's effects remain and they can't cast spells anymore, they would still fight for Azeroth in a new way.

Also, you want a clear example. Since priests, warriors and paladins are too close so going from one to another might be considered cheating, how about the whole tauren sun druids? Druid to paladins and priests. And they forgat most things that made a druid... druid. Like, their paladins and priests can't become animals anymore or use the powers of nature.
    Another example? Ner'zhul became from a shaman a warlock. He abandoned the shamanistic ways and became a full warlock. And he wasn't the only shaman to do this. Some came back to shamanism eventually, but many did not.
    Delas Moonfang became from a priest a paladin.
    Draenei learned how to become shamans from paladins. Nobundo was the first, it was easy for him being broken, but then he taught others too, non-broken draenei.
    Death knights... all of them are former (other class here), they forgat everything and became death knights.
    Demon hunters? They abandoned everything to become demon hunters.
    In fact, these former 2 classes are the only ones that would be odd, weird or impossible to become other classes. Since death knights are undead and demon hunters are half demons so they couldn't become... quite a few other classes. They could probably still be switched among eachother, since a demon hunter can still die and be brought back as a death knight. and a death knight can use a demon soul to fill the void inside thus becoming a demon hunter.
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2016-12-22 at 12:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the forgetting part is easy. Warrior to warlock? Ok. The Warrior had its arm, leg and some ribs broken by a creature. It could not move for days so the bones started fusing badly. When he/she was found and healed, due to earlier bone and muscle fusing oddly, the warrior could no longer hold all kinds of weapons and perform his amazing feats without severe pain. He/she decided that they'd need to still help Azeroth somehow, and they will do this by learning of demons and using said demons as their protectors and damage dealers while they use their former hatred to churn spells they'll learn. In a proper setting, this would be something going on over months or even years, which is why it takes 1 year to change a class in my suggestion.

We can do the opposite too. Warlock had his pets abandon him/her to the Legion. He/she was found by a fellhound who sucked the magic out of them. He/she killed the fellhound with a random plank nearby and decided they would never be so weak anymore. They would learn to fight, as to not depend on creatures that can abandon them to the Legion. Even if the fellhound's effects remain and they can't cast spells anymore, they would still fight for Azeroth in a new way.

Also, you want a clear example. Since priests, warriors and paladins are too close so going from one to another might be considered cheating, how about the whole tauren sun druids? Druid to paladins and priests. And they forgat most things that made a druid... druid. Like, their paladins and priests can't become animals anymore or use the powers of nature.
    Another example? Ner'zhul became from a shaman a warlock. He abandoned the shamanistic ways and became a full warlock. And he wasn't the only shaman to do this. Some came back to shamanism eventually, but many did not.
    Delas Moonfang became from a priest a paladin.
    Draenei learned how to become shamans from paladins. Nobundo was the first, it was easy for him being broken, but then he taught others too, non-broken draenei.
    Death knights... all of them are former (other class here), they forgat everything and became death knights.
    Demon hunters? They abandoned everything to become demon hunters.
    In fact, these former 2 classes are the only ones that would be odd, weird or impossible to become other classes. Since death knights are undead and demon hunters are half demons so they couldn't become... quite a few other classes. They could probably still be switched among eachother, since a demon hunter can still die and be brought back as a death knight. and a death knight can use a demon soul to fill the void inside thus becoming a demon hunter.
    That's a fuckload of mental gymnastics and terrible writing you just put up there. I'd be embarrassed to see any of that implemented for playable characters.

As for the NPC examples, sure there are limited examples of characters converting to different "classes." But many NPCs don't actually subscribe to distinctly defined classes in the first place, and there's still a big difference between allowing some written characters to do so and allowing all player characters to do so, potentially over and over and over again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Voted no. Even as much as class identity has been abused in some cases this expansion your character's class should be part of who your character is. I personally would like to see more kinds of classes but moving easily from warrior to mage to whatever just seems wrong as far as Warcraft is concerned. The whole deal with FOTM players is already out of hand and this is like pouring gasoline on that particular fire. Plus Blizzard doesn't really need to be charging for yet another service like this. So, no.

I would be all in for some future system where if you're one class you can, over a long period of time, train up a few skills in another, but just deciding "Today I want to be a warlock. Where's my credit card?" is just too much.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    That's a fuckload of mental gymnastics and terrible writing you just put up there. I'd be embarrassed to see any of that implemented for playable characters.

As for the NPC examples, sure there are limited examples of characters converting to different "classes." But many NPCs don't actually subscribe to distinctly defined classes in the first place, and there's still a big difference between allowing some written characters to do so and allowing all player characters to do so, potentially over and over and over again.
    Limited examples?

Almost all the shamans of the orcs converted to warlocks before and during the First War. A bunch of them went back to shamanism after the removal of the curse.
    Most paladins are former priests or warriors.
    All tauren paladins and priests are former druids.
    ALL death knights are former other classes. That is, every single one of them.
    ALL demon hunters are former other classes. That is, every single one of them.

I could give you examples of priests converting to mages; rogues, warriors and hunters interchanging their classes; warriors to shamans; Mages to warlocks; paladins to shamans; etc too.

If those are limited examples to you... I don't know what to say. I now understand why you're so against this idea, it's not that it would ruin WoW, it's rather that you're so ignorant of the lore but so dead-set on having it your way that you can't even think of the possibility that you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    This is just all an excuse to be the FOtM class.
    If you want to be the fotm class you can already do it without much trouble.
    And not allowing class change is the worst band-aid there can be to "solve" the fotm problem.
    The fotm will ALWAYS be played a lot, and if people enjoy to change class following the patch notes let them do it.
    If blizzard really wants to have an adequate use of the different classes, the solution is to make all the classes equally enjoyable
    and requested in the content.
    The game must be enjoyable, if there is something they care about (i.e. classes population) they should push for it making a game where all classes are needed, so the players will work on that.
    it is like saying "there must be more tanks in the game, lets forbid the creation/login of non-tank character". this is not a solution.

let's imagine things go wrong, and all hunter player go to other classes because in this patch hunter sucks.
    what is the problem?
    -people had the freedom to move to a class they enjoy more or simply more viable in group findings.
    -hunter sucks and nobody want to play them

just like races. why aren't all people on the strongest race for each class? you can change it whenever you want
    why aren't all players on the strongest faction?
    most people don't care about the fotm, especially when the differences are minor.
    the problem is when the differences are too big, but THAT is the problem, not the freedom of the players.

Wow was built for alts (this expansion is hard on them right now, sure). There are a lot of players who have spent lots of time on more than one character.

If you are introducing class switching because you want to hold on to your memories and achievements on one toon, you also have to have some sort of option to roll all your achievements from alts and everyone into your main. You can't cater to people who only play one character while leaving all the people who experienced multiples in the dust.

I've spent lots of time getting specific achievements and playing different xpacs on different toons. I did this because it was the option the game presented. If you are "entitled" to having your main include all the classes and stories and achievements in the game, but I'm stuck with them split among 6 toons because that was how the game was built, I think that's kind of BS.

I also see a major issue in min-maxing. Every tier a large portion of the player base swapping to whatever class that best is suited for that raid. This already happens to a lower extent with alts, but enabling it further would be silly.

I guess it's just about how your view your toons. I like each of mine separate. I like the different memories and nostalgia associated with each. The stories each has created, the history. Yea, some of them don't get played as often and have unique titles or achievements it would be cool to flaunt - but do i want them all to share everything? Nah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Limited examples?

Almost all the shamans of the orcs converted to warlocks before and during the First War. A bunch of them went back to shamanism after the removal of the curse.
    Most paladins are former priests or warriors.
    All tauren paladins and priests are former druids.
    ALL death knights are former other classes. That is, every single one of them.
    ALL demon hunters are former other classes. That is, every single one of them.

I could give you examples of priests converting to mages; rogues, warriors and hunters interchanging their classes; warriors to shamans; Mages to warlocks; paladins to shamans; etc too.

If those are limited examples to you... I don't know what to say. I now understand why you're so against this idea, it's not that it would ruin WoW, it's rather that you're so ignorant of the lore but so dead-set on having it your way that you can't even think of the possibility that you're wrong.
    Like I've said many times before, there's a huge difference between moving from one class to another as a progression of the story and being able to change class over and over and over and a player character. With the current lore in Legion a player character could go through and be the actual class leader for every single class in the game. The leader of all Warlocks decides to forsake demons, and hey suddenly he's the class leader of all Priests. But then he decides "fuck it", and becomes a Warrior - and all the other Warriors are like "fuck yeah, this guy should be our leader!" No. Fucking stupid.