Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Is sweetFX legal or does it break ToS?

Asking since its not allowed in D3.

Not everything looks better. The Shado-pan picture is good example.

Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseDay View Post
    Is sweetFX legal or does it break ToS?

Asking since its not allowed in D3.
    It breaks the ToS, because the same tech lets you write scripts for bots and PVP "helpers" (scripts).

- - - Updated - - -

They say this in the description: "... is automatically disabled during multiplayer to prevent exploitation", but there's nothing stopping a similar addon from not disabling that. So neither can be used.

Yuck, hate the harsh lighting. If you had reversed the before and after images I would have said great job!

Deleted
    Minor improvements for a big FPS hit. Sorry but that's a no, I rather continue running at smooth fps

Deleted
    Tried, liked, but fps drops there are...
    And dont understand why people hating here something, guy just share what he did for his favorite game I believe, what is wrong here ?

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    It breaks the ToS, because the same tech lets you write scripts for bots and PVP "helpers" (scripts).

- - - Updated - - -

They say this in the description: "... is automatically disabled during multiplayer to prevent exploitation", but there's nothing stopping a similar addon from not disabling that. So neither can be used.

How does a graphics shader be the same tech as used for scripts nad bots?

Quote Originally Posted by Seaclean View Post
    I'm surprised some of you have are having that much trouble with FPS. You aren't running it on potatoes, are you? My FPS go down about ~15-30 on average but since I'm usually playing in the 60-150s it's really no issue as I much prefer quality over performance. You can see my average FPS in the respective areas in the screenshots. Still, if you don't like the style, prefer performance over image quality or do not have a high-end PC then obviously this is not for you.

Thought I'd share my work with you guys anyway. Thanks for the feedback so far.

If you're in a raid with loads of spell effects and 10-20 people/NPCs running around doing things then I suggest you turn it off (can be done by pressing a key in-game). It's really more for exploring and questing out-doors. But by all means, if your PC can handle it (and you like the effect) leave it on.
    Quality is nice, but if you are going to pvp or raid performance is really all that matters.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

7+ Year Old Account
    ReleaseDay: He doesn't know what he is talking about.

rda: Thank you for your opinion on the preset and for providing examples on what you don't like. Before addressing your criticism let me correct you: no, it does not break ToS. Reshade does in no way alter any existing game files or introduce any modifications that provide you with any sort of advantage over other players that you wouldn't already be able to get anyway by simply tweaking your monitor settings, adjusting parameters in your video card control panel or even adjusting in-game gamma. It simply super-imposes a filter unto your game and adjusts things such as sharpening, contrast, gamma values, define new black and white levels and similar settings. That you'd say it breaks the ToS really just reveals that you don't know much about the application.

Onto your specific criticism, I'll acknowledge some complaints: It's true, in some scenes (the Pandaren temple shot you're referring to is an excellent example) you do end up losing a degree of visual fidelity and definition of details by playing with the contrast and black levels. Subtle details in already dark environments are at risk of disappearing. This is a case where in some scenes it works and in others it do not. And here is where you and I will definitely end up disagreeing, given what you've said.

I think you're grossly exaggerating the bad points - so much so that it leads me to believe you and I must have very differently calibrated monitors for us to perceive these things this differently! For instance, I can clearly see both the Pandaren's eyes and her clothing (with their altered colors, thanks to Sepia and Technicolor effects) and I can in no way recognise your complaint about the statue losing any details or that any details become lost at the sake of removing the "fog" effect for that matter (which is something you apparently think is worst feature of the preset). I ran through the various screenshots both on my own monitor, my smartphone and my wife's monitor to see if I could see if removing the fog would harm the immediate scene, as you describe. I really couldn't see it, even after extensive inspection and neither could my friends. Overall, I really do think the altered images look genuinely better. I respect that you don't see it that way, though.

In addition, I think the fire in the preset not only looks slightly better than the original version but a lot better! I can't see the constructs you're referring to. However, I do see increased white levels that play in tandem with a higher contrast to create a more believable vivid flame. The artefacts you're referring to in the water are indeed artefacts but it is not something you'd run into if you try out the preset. The reason for this is that the underwater artefacts exists because of a custom ambient occlusion setting called MXAO. I mention in the preset description that some screenshots are taken with this effect enabled. It does give foliage and other environment an additional layer of depth but it is an experimental feature that needs to be enabled (I describe how to as well). As an experimental feature, it does introduce occasional artefacts (specifically with smoke/fog/water and other elements that are meant to be transparent). For this reason and because it also costs additional FPS, I have disabled it by default and instead recommend that people try it out if they want to.

In summary, your complaints haven't introduced me to any issues or weaknesses that I wasn't already aware of. Furthermore, I understand you're definitely not a fan of my work. You're entitled to that opinion, of course.

Louz: You can customise any parameter you see fit and I encourage you to try it out and experiment with different values. It's all accessible by pressing Shift+F2. If you mess around with settings too much, you can always re-download the preset.
    Last edited by Nokonda; 2016-12-21 at 08:21 PM.

Deleted
    Filmed, zones in the Broken Isles, gave credits to you! damned youtube a bit killed video graphic, but overall can see the difference and I love this difference!

Honestly.... I don't like it looks weird or off.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd much rather buy a monitor with a higher dynamic range then cripple my machine with more software. It looks more like you're toggling CMAA or whatever effect on the fly because there's no way it's crisper looking then the highest AA we have now. Those colors around 8 minutes are *way* off.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

They all are injected in the process by a fake DirectX library.

If you can access live screen data, you can simulate user input on a particular condition. So you set up your screen such that the buffs / debuffs of your target are in a known location, and the "display enhancer" then looks for the icon of a specific buff and simulates pressing a button (ie, of the interrupt). There are thousands of things you can do in this way.

- - - Updated - - -

rda: Thank you for your opinion on the preset and for providing examples on what you don't like. Before addressing your criticism let me correct you: no, it does not break ToS. Reshade does in no way alter any existing game files or introduce any modifications that provide you with any sort of advantage over other players that you wouldn't already be able to get anyway by simply tweaking your monitor settings, adjusting parameters in your video card control panel or even adjusting in-game gamma. It simply super-imposes a filter unto your game and adjusts things such as sharpening, contrast, gamma values, define new black and white levels and similar settings. That you'd say it breaks the ToS really just reveals that you don't know much about the application.
    Nobody cares what Reshade says it does or does not do. It is all about what can be done with analyzing screen data, and that's quite a lot. Things like that are against the TOS. Go ask the blues.

PS: I realized my critique of what the addon does was perhaps overly harsh. I sincerely wish you luck, you did nothing wrong. It's just that the direction is typical for guys who are just starting out - everyone is looking to make things extra-sharp and extra-bright thinking that it makes the scene great (it doesn't), and I've seen too much of that over the years so it's just a learned "oh, damn, not again" snap reaction on my part. Sorry for that. Here's an advice if you want to pursue 3d: join forums / subreddits of the graphic pros and discuss the shots with them, what works, what doesn't. They will destroy your shots in a blink of an eye and will be much harsher than I was here, but you will learn from them - if you listen, that is.
    Last edited by rda; 2016-12-22 at 06:43 AM.

Deleted
    Reshade does in no way alter any existing game files or introduce any modifications that provide you with any sort of advantage over other players that you wouldn't already be able to get anyway by simply tweaking your monitor settings, adjusting parameters in your video card control panel or even adjusting in-game gamma. It simply super-imposes a filter unto your game and adjusts things such as sharpening, contrast, gamma values, define new black and white levels and similar settings. That you'd say it breaks the ToS really just reveals that you don't know much about the application.
    It does this by injecting through faked directx driver.

That's pretty much what code injection bots do (and malware) - so be very careful if you choose to run this, it might be detected as a "3rd party program" by Warden and then you're off to a 6 month ban.

Also some bots are built by processing the image (geometry based bots). So Blizzard generally frowns upon things that allow processing the live game image stream outside the client.

Not saying it will - and not saying you did anything wrong, but the technique is very similar. So don't be too surprised if it lands you a ban.
    Last edited by mmoc0e47cbaaf5; 2016-12-22 at 06:50 AM.

Tried to fiddle with the effects a little.

Unfortunately, due to how WoW and this tool works, it's absolutely useless for any depth-of-field effects aswell as chromatic aberrations.

As for chromatic aberration, since the filters affect UI too, any elements on edges of the screen become unreadable.

As for depth-of-field effects, it affects "closest to the screen", or with the highest Z-axis to be more specific. Which means the blur affects your 3D portrait or whatever 3D model is closest, so even WeakAuras or the 3D model of the artifact weapon, should you bring up the Artifact window - but not the world.

Real shame, it looked so nice with the UI hidden. Can only use it to make nice screenshots

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    It does this by injecting through faked directx driver.

That's pretty much what code injection bots do (and malware) - so be very careful if you choose to run this, it might be detected as a "3rd party program" by Warden and then you're off to a 6 month ban.

Also some bots are built by processing the image (geometry based bots). So Blizzard generally frowns upon things that allow processing the live game image stream outside the client.

Not saying it will - and not saying you did anything wrong, but the technique is very similar. So don't be too surprised if it lands you a ban.
    What, I have never experienced this and I've openly advertised this kind of shader on the official forums before. I've used reshade for all my blizzard (and non blizzard) games for the past 10 years. I excsessively use it for both single player and competitive multiplayer games and it has never brought me any trouble what so ever.

In fact, I am so sure that this doesn't land me or anyone else a ban that I wouldn't care if anyone reported me or anyone for using it and I urge anyone in doubt to contact Blizzard about it. I'm completely sure I'm not doing anything illegal here. I urge Blizzard to ban me if I'm wrong. I'm willing to bet my account on you can't find a single person who's been banned over this. Not. One. Single. And there's no risk of it either, despite what you say.

The ToS mentions: "...Modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game Client or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;" again, reshade does in no way alter or modify any existing game files. You can freely add or delete the reshade application without touching any client files.

You guys really need to stop saying you can get banned over this. I urge you to try and get me banned over this.
    Last edited by Nokonda; 2016-12-22 at 07:50 AM.

Deleted
    What, I have never experienced this and I've openly advertised this kind of shader on the official forums before. I've used reshade for all my blizzard (and non blizzard) games for the past 10 years. I excsessively use it for both single player and competitive multiplayer games and it has never brought me any trouble what so ever.

In fact, I am so sure that this doesn't land me or anyone else a ban that I wouldn't care if anyone reported me or anyone for using it and I urge anyone in doubt to contact Blizzard about it. I'm completely sure I'm not doing anything illegal here. I urge Blizzard to ban me if I'm wrong. I'm willing to bet you can't find a single person who's been banned over this.

The Top mentions this: ""...Modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game Client or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;"" again, reshade does in no way alter or modify any existing game files. You can freely add or delete the reshade application without touching any client files.
    Again - I did not say it will or that you did anything wrong.
    It was also not meant as a personal attack or insult.

It was commentary purley on the technique Reshade uses to accomplish the things it does. Injecting dll's into running game processes is quite often a bannable offense and injecting things to directx might be the same (even if it's just a post processing filter)

Certain gaming companies (Rockstar in GTA V for example) don't like that at all.
    I don't work at Blizzard, so obviously I don't know about their stance in this. But as a technique, I personally consider it a bit risky - and I really don't want my 12 year old WoW account banned - under any circumstance.

Once more - not questioning you or the work you've done.

7+ Year Old Account
    I know you don't, but I can't find anywhere in the ToS where it says it's illegal to inject DLLs to alter the things reshade does. I can only find the above mentioned quote where they mention that altering any existing game files is an offense.

I've always wanted to apply /r/shittyHDR to my WoW experience! Thanks for making this!