Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    So its just a statistical convenience that the vast majority of students that get rejected with super high SAT scores are Asian?
    No, it's a conscious push to increase the diversity of the student body. That was never disputed, Harvard's pretty open about this.

The thing is, all those students have is those super high SAT scores. Nothing else about them stands out, to make them an attractive applicant to Harvard. That is why other, more interesting students are chosen. People have this misbegotten idea that the only thing that should matter in admissions is the SAT, and that's just wrong. No university works that way, that I'm aware of.

It's pretty hard to say that Harvard discriminates against Asian students, when 22% of its admissions are Asian students, well out of scale with their proportion of the population.

https://college.harvard.edu/admissio...ons-statistics

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    So you believe that even with SAT scores 540 point higher than black students, that the black students background, ideas, experiences, talents and aspirations more than make up for that compared to asian students?

What amazing backgrounds, ideas, experiences, talents and aspiration these black students must have to overcome a 540 SAT deficit!

Truly magical!
    In short, yes. Because SAT scores aren't the huge deal you apparently think they are.

Everyone should be judged based on their merits. Period.

Tucker Carlson doesn't have a clue. We can't marginalize 15% of the population, that's why the government strongly encourages companies to hire blacks.

Say you're a manager and you have 10 candidates for 1 position and one of the candidates is black. You aren't a racist but you are so busy you don't need to take on another burden and Ted in accounting is racist, he'll say something and you'll have to step in and straighten things out. You don't have time for that so you don't hire the black guy.

This adding Asians and Hispanics and women and God knows what else to affirmative action is just messing things up. Sure it isn't perfect for those groups but their problems are trivial compared to black people's problems.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    No, it's a conscious push to increase the diversity of the student body. That was never disputed, Harvard's pretty open about this.

The thing is, all those students have is those super high SAT scores. Nothing else about them stands out, to make them an attractive applicant to Harvard. That is why other, more interesting students are chosen. People have this misbegotten idea that the only thing that should matter in admissions is the SAT, and that's just wrong. No university works that way, that I'm aware of.

It's pretty hard to say that Harvard discriminates against Asian students, when 22% of its admissions are Asian students, well out of scale with their proportion of the population.

https://college.harvard.edu/admissio...ons-statistics

In short, yes. Because SAT scores aren't the huge deal you apparently think they are.

So it is ok to discriminate racially as long as it promotes "diversity"? Is that your position?

10+ Year Old Account
    So it is ok to discriminate racially as long as it promotes "diversity"? Is that your position?
    You haven't demonstrated any kind of racial discrimination, to begin with. So this question is just bait, of the "when did you stop beating your wife" variety.

You haven't demonstrated any kind of racial discrimination, to begin with. So this question is just bait, of the "when did you stop beating your wife" variety.
    What are you even on about? How is it not racial discrimination to deny admission to the Asian kid with far better credentials?

As soon as I see that avatar I know where your opinions are going to fall on EVERY issue in these forums. Really not a shining trait.

So you justify blatant racism because why.........only liberals can care about discrimination and if they don't than its clearly not?
    That flew right over your head didn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    That's not the real Tucker Carlson. The Real Tucker Carlson wears a bow tie.
    This is actually funny, he had to quit wearing it cause people were fucking with him in the Subway. True story. =p

- - - Updated - - -

Except that this is a lie. Point-based affirmative action systems are unconstitutional, as SCOTUS has already ruled. They no longer exist. Where these "point values" came from is from an independent analyst inventing values, and ignoring that Harvard's admissions process is more holistic than that.

The numbers aren't real. They're an agenda-driven bit of misleading rhetoric.
    Yeah, quotas bit the dust in the 70s, right?

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsar Bomba View Post
    What are you even on about? How is it not racial discrimination to deny admission to the Asian kid with far better credentials?

As soon as I see that avatar I know where your opinions are going to fall on EVERY issue in these forums. Really not a shining trait.
    Whoa, are you trying to claim that people applying to a top tier school should be selected based on their actual merits as a student, and that their path in life is irrelevant? Racist! /s

Merit is a foreign word to today's left. The smartest should be accepted, and if that means it's all Asians then so be it.

So you dont believe any racial discrimination happens against asians in US college admissions? However if there was racial discrimination you would be opposed to it regardless if it ran against racially diversifying a student body?

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Merit is a foreign word to today's left. The smartest should be accepted, and if that means it's all Asians then so be it.
    I agree, so long as they are Americans. However, I do agree in the affirmative action laws that force you to merely consider minorities. It's a hassle but surely it does more good than the hassle it costs.

I still believe that all applications need to not have names on them and be assigned a number by an unbias'd computer, the people with the best scores/achievements should be decided then accepted.

That way, no racism in anyway shape or form, you just get your best students for your school.

Then and now, the College considers each applicant through an individualized, holistic review having the goal of creating a vibrant academic community that exposes students to a wide range of differences: background, ideas, experiences, talents and aspirations. The University’s admissions processes remain fully compliant with all legal requirements and are essential to the pedagogical objectives that underlie Harvard’s educational mission.
    Sounds like liberals forget about disparate impact theory whenever it's convenient for them.

It's also funny that the "holistic review" is all the rage, considering its initial purpose was to keep Jews out of elite colleges.

Except that this is a lie. Point-based affirmative action systems are unconstitutional, as SCOTUS has already ruled. They no longer exist. Where these "point values" came from is from an independent analyst inventing values, and ignoring that Harvard's admissions process is more holistic than that.

The numbers aren't real. They're an agenda-driven bit of misleading rhetoric.
    Wait, does that mean you ALSO don't agree a wage gap exists? Since thats illegal too?

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I agree, so long as they are Americans. However, I do agree in the affirmative action laws that force you to merely consider minorities. It's a hassle but surely it does more good than the hassle it costs.
    If youre bigoted to the point of not even considering any minorities in todays competitive enviornment you won't survive. The problem is that the left or people that support discrimination against whites and asians are doing so because inequalities exist at the levels that precede these universities. We should focus on fixing the issues that cause the "privilege" as they would put it to exist. We should not dance around with racial discrimination, it was bad when it was against blacks, and its bad now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    This is actually funny, he had to quit wearing it cause people were fucking with him in the Subway. True story. =p
    Weak. All he'd have to do is leave it off until he got to work... assuming that it was actually happening, which I doubt.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like Tucker Carlson. One of the several Fox News commentators has which has them the number one rated News Network for over a decade now. I know, the great majority of the viewers are older, mature people who usually have a high turn out rate in elections.

7+ Year Old Account
    Affirmative Action - Proving that systemic racism does exist.

The great thing about those checkboxes on school and job applications for race/ethnicity is that you can check whichever ones you want to. If you think <insert race/ethnicity>has an advantage in the application process then by all means check it. I always check every box including "None of the Above" or "Decline to Answer" if available.
    Signature not found