Poll: Which bodyguard?

Thread: Mage Bodyguards

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mage Bodyguards

The choice isn't a super important one, but just curious what the Mage community most commonly uses. Select the option that you most commonly have out (or lack thereof)

Deleted
    Vargoth is the best for sure, although I don't use it. I probably would but only with those epic upgrades.

Modera is annying, she can aggro someone I don't want, she can die, etc. Vargoth is a straight up damage buff so I always use him.

Why people use MIllhouse of Kalecgos I don't know, for me they are pretty useless

Deleted
    Vargoth buff + Sylvian Elixir and the WQ experience is soooo different that I don't even start doing them if he is on a mission
    Not to mention that you can demolish anyone who try to gang you.

Quote Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
    Why people use MIllhouse of Kalecgos I don't know, for me they are pretty useless
    I don't actually need any of them, so Millhouse is my choice because he is the most flavoursome.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Vargoth for sure.

Do the other bodyguards scale with gear? If not, Vargoth seems to be the obvious choice since he does scale.

Deleted
    What does Vargoth do exactly?

I didn't think too much about followers.
    Heard that Modera is useful with her nova so i took her and never bothered again.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlefreak View Post
    What does Vargoth do exactly?

I didn't think too much about followers.
    Heard that Modera is useful with her nova so i took her and never bothered again.
    If you talk to him he buffs you and your teammates damage by 20% for 1 hour

i use kal cuz he just gives me a spell no add to get lost or agro.. its an ok ability not like i use it much at ilvl 890

Quote Originally Posted by Rylalai View Post
    Do the other bodyguards scale with gear?
    Good question, I know their hp scales to yours, not sure about damage though.

To share my own preference, I use Modera because I'm too lazy to summon Vargoth and get the buff Also Vargoth has a better ability for missions (though admittedly I just do gold and AP now, don't even have to do those really). I've already put an Omen's Bidding and Potion of Triton on Modera so I'm kind of reluctant to switch out again. The other cool thing I like about Modera is her Frost Nova doesn't break on damage

Other info:

I use Rav/Vargoth/Modera/Meryl/Kalecgos as my followers so I have double coverage on Vargoth and Modera's counters so I could freely interchange them.

Equipment-wise I made a point of putting a Lucky Doodad on every follower, which tends to be sufficient, and the other slot is whatever, but I prefer Bottomless Flask as the second slot. I haven't seen any reason to drop the equipment work order perk since it's giving me epic equipment too. Since I'm not spamming missions, I don't find Potion of Energy worth it, plus I have the Portal Nexus instead of Blink

Addons:

I would use Master Plan with a Legion version, but Garrison Mission Commander gets the job done, one click missions

All in all, I'd say they did a good job of not making the Mission Table too lucrative, but I still find myself checking it once a day for the free AP or gold
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2016-12-22 at 01:20 AM.

If you talk to him he buffs you and your teammates damage by 20% for 1 hour
    not just damage, but healing/absorbs aswell, just check your ice barrier next time you use him.

Who can argue with 20% from Vargoth?

| Mage | Rogue |
    - Barthilas-US -

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodmagix View Post
    Who can argue with 20% from Vargoth?
    Mostly people who don't know what his buff does? Blizzard really left overboard with simplifying tooltips, without testing noone would know their damage grew

Mostly people who don't know what his buff does? Blizzard really left overboard with simplifying tooltips, without testing noone would know their damage grew
    So people who don't research their class much?

| Mage | Rogue |
    - Barthilas-US -

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodmagix View Post
    So people who don't research their class much?
    Which makes most of the players. "He gives some kind of buff", shrug, change follower

Which makes most of the players. "He gives some kind of buff", shrug, change follower
    Yes, it's really a pity how combat allies are handled in this xpac. For bodyguards the tooltip just says he is accompanying you, but the skills they use are vastly different.
    Actually it's quite surprising so far in the xpac that there are hardly any player written guides about the different combat allies and what they really do, at least I was not able to find one yet. Might try to write one myself, but on the other hand I'm just lazy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    The choice isn't a super important one, but just curious what the Mage community most commonly uses. Select the option that you most commonly have out (or lack thereof)
    Don't want to troll, but no one. I play legion since launch, with 10 classes (i have 2 left to max yet), and I haven't seen myself in need of a combat ally/bodyguard. Sure it helps but I prefer champions do their missions. I know there are some bonus if you worldquest with them but they are simply not worth to me. Maybe if I had only 1, 2 chars and time to really grind.

Quote Originally Posted by javislaterlp View Post
    Don't want to troll, but no one. I play legion since launch, with 10 classes (i have 2 left to max yet), and I haven't seen myself in need of a combat ally/bodyguard. Sure it helps but I prefer champions do their missions. I know there are some bonus if you worldquest with them but they are simply not worth to me. Maybe if I had only 1, 2 chars and time to really grind.
    Actually as an altoholic I have all classes on 110 and using combat allies is god sent since even with the green and blue item they will give 75 order ressources for every completed world quests and order ressources is the greatest struggle you will face when you have such an amount of alts.