Poll: Healers only: Which tank do you prefer for M+?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    A good DH is nice to heal, but a bad DH is like healing a cloth wearer. I've had so many bad DHs, mostly DPS going tank to get invited, that I don't invite DHs to my groups until after I look them up on armory. If they have DPS legendaries then they will get instantly declined.
    I voted Guardian because I haven't had any problem with any Guardian even if they are bad and don't know how to use mitigation properly. Sure, a Guardian that doesn't use mitigation properly is hard to heal, but it's much much easier than any other tank I've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldred View Post
    I voted for protection warrior. My least favourite to heal is certainly DH. That could be players inexperienced in tanking as often as the class being annoying.
    Yea, a bad DH is really horrible. But a good DH is fun to heal, you can almost ignore them until their last resort procs. They will keep themselves alive for a long time with their selfheals. Don't spam heal a DH to keep him at 100% health at all times because it's a waste of mana and healing that could be used on the group instead.

When I tank as a DH I can easily see when a healer doesn't know how to heal me. They will waste all of their mana to keep me topped off. With a healer that knows I usually hover around 200k HPS, depending on m+ level and size of pull etc, but with a healer that constantly spam heals me even when I have last resort I only hover at 70k or so.
    Last edited by adamzz; 2016-12-19 at 10:57 AM.

Thinking over the various affix combinations and how you have seen the various specs handle them, how does that affect your preferences? Are there any particular spec/affix combos that stand out? Like, I want this tank for necrotic but this one for skittish?

Weekly schedule for affixes:

Raging-Necrotic-Fortified
    Bolstering-Overflowing-Tyrannical
    Sanguine-Volcanic-Fortified
    Teeming-Necrotic-Tyrannical
    Raging-Volcanic-Tyrannical
    Bolstering-Skittish-Fortified
    Sanguine-Overflowing-Tyrannical
    Teeming-Skittish-Fortified

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Demon Hunter, Death Knight, and Druid are the 3 I always run with so I can only add perspective on those minus a few odd ball pugs that have happened. I pick the druid in most situations. They heal great. They take like no damage. They are strong in AOE damage. But most importantly the guy that plays it is the best tank of the 3. Which is most important.

I find Pala tanks most awkward to heal... There are times they don't need heal and then *pow!* only 30% life left...

Here's my ranking

# Warrior
    # Druid
    # DK

Depends on the affixes, but for the most annoying ones DK without a doubt.

warrior and bear, probably in that order, and then probably prot paladin. Paladins can be a little spikey but they bring so much nice utility to the table.

DH and blood I find are usually really spikey, and if I'm being honest I haven't run with enough BrMs to really render judgment

Warrior is the easiest to heal, but Gorefiends Grasp and Death Grip are too good. The squishiest is Paladin, but on the same token they are the highest dps tank.
    Last edited by muto; 2016-12-21 at 09:07 AM.

Deleted
    i'm a resto shaman currently ilvl 866 , and i must say it depends so much in ilvl and how high you're doing your mythics .
    In general you can't go wrong with a warrior or druid . Paladins i had some really nice ones , and then i had some really bad ones , DK's are ok but they can take alot of damage at once specially in higher mythics when they run in a big pack ( with teeming especially ). DH i rather avoid these tanks when i see them pop up they're health is just so jumpy going up down like a fucking roller coaster , i know this is how they work but i just don't like it and alot of other healers i know also think of this.
    Then Monk , i only had 1 in arcway +7 , he was ilvl 872 and we managed to get 3 chests . I must say i really liked him , he handled spikey damage really nice . unfortunately i only had this 1 monk in 1.5 month time that i got this shaman as a healer so i can't really speak for them.

But if i had to rank : Warrior - Druid - Paladin - DK - DH . Like i said i only had 1 monk to tank for me , if i had to judge on that i would place him between paladin and DK , but i think its rather unfair because i had the classes over 50 times for sure. And sorry for the little love for DH.
    Last edited by mmoc1ce1a9aaac; 2016-12-21 at 10:04 AM.

I personally like healing bear tanks the most. When I do Mythic + as holy I can use HW: Serenity on them and not have it overheal and my EoL can just top them off, letting me do more DPS. Other tanks are good too, just my personal preference.

Bears all the way. I play RDruid btw.

The worst tanks are DH, some are even unhealable in higher m+. I dunno if its their skill or eq, but some are extremely bad at mitigation.

Quote Originally Posted by External View Post
    And sorry for the little love for DH.
    We are seeing some consensus on this, but I honestly think it's the same phenomenon we saw with DKs in early WotLK. So many DHs are played by inexperienced tanks. Many are alts and not that player's main focus. Or maybe they are off-spec for players who mostly dps. Either way, as some here have observed, there are some really solid DH tanks out there; they have to live with the image those less focused and dedicated players have created. DHs are a little different to heal, so some better communication between healers and DH tanks would probably help. I suspect it is one of those problems that will work itself out over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    We are seeing some consensus on this, but I honestly think it's the same phenomenon we saw with DKs in early WotLK. So many DHs are played by inexperienced tanks. Many are alts and not that player's main focus. Or maybe they are off-spec for players who mostly dps. Either way, as some here have observed, there are some really solid DH tanks out there; they have to live with the image those less focused and dedicated players have created. DHs are a little different to heal, so some better communication between healers and DH tanks would probably help. I suspect it is one of those problems that will work itself out over time.
    U are not too far of with this comment.
    I just wrote that I dont like to heal DHs due to their bad mitigation. However I did have one or two DHs in higher mythic+ that were awesome and easy to heal. It could have only been the good DDs using a lot of stun etc.
    I think what u said is that some DHs just think they can fly into shit, AOE and fly to the next trash group. Some sure dont care about mitigation.

The question here again is: What does a tank have to do, what do his abilities need to be? Whats his job?
    Complicated question, easy answer: A tank needs to be fucking tanky, thats it! (Please lets not talk about aggro, cos keeping aggro is faceroll with every tank class)
    I dont care if a tank does more dmg than others, I dont care if a tank can move faster or fly, I dont even care if a tank can brez or heal or whatever. A tank just need to be "healable" in every situation, all other characteristics are nice to have.

Example: I play RDruid 875 equipped. Yesterday we finished a +10 arcway with 2 chest with a big fat bear tank 880. He was pulling big and I cant remember that I ever got into the situation where I was like "oh shit" he is gonna die, can't heal him anymore. It was all smooth and fast, no troubles whatsoever. I could easily focus on group healing.
    I dont think a DH would have had the same smoothness as a bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    as druid healer I prefer bears and monks.

Deleted
    I'm not a super experienced healer when it comes to m+, done +8's so far but personally my preference is:
    Guardian > Prot Warr > Prot Pala > DK > BM > DH

Guardian druids are just great, doesn't seem to take a lot of damage, got great def cd's, good healing and usually a pleasure to heal. Prot warriors are good too, Prot Palas are also very enjoyable but some times you end up with really shit ones who are tough to keep up. DK or BM I'm not entirely sure, some DK's have been fine and some hasn't, only healed a BM monk in m+ once which was a +5 I believe and he was easily healed, his health didn't suddenly drop from high to low like a DK or DH. But since I haven't had much experience with BM monks I'm gonna rank them quite low, hard to know exactly where they're at.

DH's I just hate healing, maybe it's just that most DH tanks haven't mastered their spec yet or if they are generally just weak but they are usually a true pain in the ass to heal. Can suddenly drop from full health to very low, so you use a cd or big heal, only to see them healing their own health up. So it's very frustrating to heal a DH efficiently.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am surprised BrM is so low on a lot of people's lists, considering they have, arguably, the least spiky damage intake from large sources due to stagger. A bad monk will accumulate stagger like nobody's business until it's ticking so hard they're unhealable. A good monk knows when and how to purify properly, so from the healer's perspective his health only spikes dangerously to very high M+ abilities like Hyrja's Shield of Light. With that said, abilities have to hit VERY hard to one-shot a monk.

We currently have a specific weakness to spell damage (but a new talent next patch will allow us to address that somewhat), however if the BrM knows the fight mechanics and the fight involves generally moderate damage interspersed with infrequent spikes, we're ideal tanks, as our limited brew charges and ability to purify those spikes line up with them, and we can recharge brews between spikes.

If the fight involves consistently high damage throughout, and without suitable haste it's possible to rapidly become brew starved and unable to purify overwhelming amounts of damage, then monks are kind of weak. This is currently a weakness but one that will become less noticeable over time as Monks gain more and more haste, our tier sets from Nighthold, and the new wrist legendary when it comes out. These will rapidly increase brew charge generation allowing us to purify far more liberally. Hymdall for example probably gives most tanks no issues but for me as Monk it's a horrible fight as the damage he does is consistently high, whereas at least Tyrannical Hyrja's Shield of Light is predictable and survivable on anything below 15 without any cooldowns whatsoever.

A good monk is also good for Necrotic affixes as between Chi Torpedo (use that for Necrotic!), Transcendence and Exploding Keg (AoE that makes all foes miss for 3s) we have some pretty good tools for dropping our necrotic stacks. My Paladin can also do this every 5 minutes with Final Stand, but not as regularly drop off or evade stack re-applications as a monk can.

There are lots of shit Brewmasters out there, and from what I've heard they are MUCH rarer on US realms than they are EU; some folk haven't seen any since launch! Personally on EU I've seen about 15-20 others. They seem to generally have a bad reputation as I'm often whispered by people saying "I wasn't expecting you to be so easy to heal, I always heard monks were shit"
    Last edited by Will; 2016-12-30 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    I'll throw this out there just because DHs are getting the fewest votes: most DHs spec Last Resort and you don't have to stress over their bouncing health bar unless Last Resort has proc'd within the last 3 minutes. You can set up a Weak Aura to tell you when it goes off and when it is available again. DH is one of my five tanks, and I set up a WA to tell my group when it has proc'd.
    That is a good indicator, however almost no one will use Last Resort in 7.1.5 due to the vastly extended cooldown. Better for people to not get used to it.

Druid, just cuz of damage reduction. Then Warriors. Self-Healers/Bubblers don't always work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Struggle View Post
    That is a good indicator, however almost no one will use Last Resort in 7.1.5 due to the vastly extended cooldown. Better for people to not get used to it.
    OH - good point. DH is not my main, so I confess I have not looked ahead much to DH changes for 7.1.5.

Guardian > Warrior > Paladin > DK > Monk > DH

I stopped healing DH tanks they are just bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably druid.

Had a ilvl 865ish guardian druid, with I think 2 out of 3 artifact elite traits (aka pretty fresh 110) tank my +13 Eye of Azhara yesterday and it went well Wouldn't have thought. Kept aggro OK considering it's skittish over here, and I didn't have to panic over his HP at any point.